tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps it's time to consider an anger management class

I agree. I don't understand some folks. I had a guy come in over the weekend wanting to buy a replacement hex shanked drill bit that he broke. Unfortunately, we don't sell them individually. I realize this is not smart, but on the other hand they are cheap sets to begin with and mostly homeowners use the hex shanked bits.

That's not the point though. This guy got visibly agitated and started stomping his feet and was on the verge of shaking. He asked me the same question 3 times, "You mean I'm supposed to buy a new set if one breaks!?" I answered affirmatively 3 times, and after he paced and stomped for about 5 minutes, he grabs a bit and stomps out.

Now, I admit us not having the replacement bit is annoying, but to allow a $2 bit out of a $15 set to upset you that much is ridiculous. I can only imagine what his blood pressure and stomach ulcers were like, not to mention the family that has to put up with him. If he wanted to complain, he should complain, but not allow it to upset him. Furthermore, complaining to me, an hourly sales person, is ridiculous. I have just under no say as far as what we stock.

Well, Craftsman? I always brought those till my rachect broke........."we will give you a REBUILD" , I don't wan't a rebuild, UNCONDICIONAL WARRANTY????.......here is your rebuilt... KIT........WTF??? Nice Warranty . I get a kit instead of a warranty!!!

Next week, Sears sale on ALL the tools.......

Me: I want a new craftsman rachect, not a rebuild kit....Him : "no way here is your rebuild......" Me: "WHAT DO SELL, Craftsman? I always brought those till my rachect broke........."we will give you a REBUILD" , I don't want a rebuild, UNCONDICIONAL WARRANTY????.......here is your rebuilt, KIT........WTF??? Nice Warranty!!!

Next week, NATIONAL HARDWARE DAY, Sears’s sale on ALL the tools.......

Me: I want a new craftsman ratchet, not a rebuild kit....Him : "no way here is your rebuild......" Me: "WHAT DO YOU ME MEAN YOU WILL NOT WARRATY THIS CRAFTMAN TOOL (HOLDING IT HIGH AND YELLING)!!!!!......WHAT IS YOUR WARRANTY WORTH? Many worried buyers scared off….”THIS IS JUST A CRAFTSMAN HAND TOOL, AND YOU DO NOT EVEN STAND BEHIND THAT!!!!!!” ……”WHY WOULD I BUY ONE OF YOUR POS POWEWR TOOLS IF YOU CAN’T WARRANTY A RACHECT?”…………
Him: "Shut up I'm getting you a new one........And I did……FINALLY.....

SEARS... POS like the rest........

When my ratchet broke, the Sears guy put a used rebuild kit in it and said "We will take care of it as long as you own it." That was over twenty years ago, still works fine. OK by me. They only put in a used kit because they didnt have a new one at the time, and they wanted to get me back wrenching.

There are times to make a stink, like when you are really getting the shaft...

"WHAT?!?! NO PERSONAL LUBRICANT WITH THAT EXORBITANT BILL??!?!?! I WANNA TALK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR!!!!!

About 15 years ago Wal-Mart used to sell a tool line called "Popular Mechanics", made in Taiwan. Their ratchets and sockets were exact copies of Snap-on albeit of lower quality and finish. I have beat the hell out of those tools and I can't break them, most of my sockets and all my ratchets are this brand, also most of my combination wrenches. Screwdrivers, I like Mac but they are expensive and I abuse screwdrivers too much so I usually buy a new set about every 5 years from Costco or Sears when they have a sale. Torque wrenches, PROTO or PROTO knock offs seem best.
Air tools, I like CP but their impacts are weak and slow but so is my compressor.... For infrequenty used tools I usually buy Harbor Fright, out of economic necessity.

strange, no mention of Kobalt tools from lowe's.
I have bought and abused 3/8 and 1/2 drive kobalt sockets sets, i have only broken one socket so far, and it was replaced no hassle.
also had one ratchet fail and it was also replaced no hassle.
Most other tools are craftsman. wrenches and screwdrivers and other assorted sockets.
It seems the Kobalt brand has mostly switched to 12 point sockets which i dont care for that much, all the ones i have now are 6 point.
But I am happy with them.

What do people think of Makita drills? I normally look for Milwaukee products but got sucked in by a Makita last year. I was going to get the Milwaukee 14.4V cordless drill but got the Makita 18V for its lithium ion batteries, super compact size and a little more torque. It was also a bit cheaper if I remember right.

Necessary tools..............

Here some must have tools for any serious wrench-turner's shop.

First we have the common Mechanic's bottle opener

attachment.php

..and the adjustable opener for conveniently opening variously sized caps.

attachment.php

The electrician's bottle opener.

attachment.php

The carpenter's bottle opener, which is really helpful for those really tight caps 'cuz nothing trumps a hammer eh?

attachment.php

Couple more..........

The all important Forester's opener which can also be used to cut salamy or cheese to go with the beverage.

attachment.php

And finally the long handled, high torque opener for those micro brew or home brew caps which always seem to be a little tighter fittin'.

attachment.php

What do people think of Makita drills?

Ive got 2 Makita drills one 9.6 and 14.4 both about 8 yrs old. Never had any problems until this year. The batteries are not wanting to hold a charge. Thats the only problem though.
I was thinking thats pretty good considering I use them all the time.

Last edited:
Can everyone agree that Black and Decker no longer makes any quality tools? The brand has been run into the ground, all they have is made in china junk now. If I am going to buy a cheap power tool that I know I am going to abuse I am getting the cheapest Grizzly or Harbor Freight tool I can find. Im phasing out my cheap B&D stuff as it breaks and concentrating on having fewer, higher quality tools. The only catch is B&D comes out with some pretty innovative stuff, its too bad the quality is so bad.

adkranger; add to the list, old Chevy seat belt latches and Chevy door latches. And Idiot Nephews lower jaw.

True that...........that's exactly where I learned that trick during my youth. (the Chevy seat belts, not idiot nephews).

well my list is short, 2 -3tier craftman roll arounds all craftsman tools, even tools my dad had 40 years ago, with the exception of some pliers and scew drivers and they are wiha and klein, a few oddball tools with hammers, hatchets, old stilson wrench. i have never had any problem with craftsmen tools.

my army buddy's made fun of me when i brought in a popular mechanics socket set 1/2 drive to remove 1 1/8 bolts on our dozer. we broke the 3/4drives the army had. after applying a 4 ft cheater pipe and the ratchet took it. after three dozers and 36 bolts they were mighty impressed with the walmart junk.

i do remember some of the popular mech tools as being made by vermont america.

it could be the charger too.you're better off buying a new drill.

Ive got 2 Makita drills one 9.6 and 14.4 both about 8 yrs old. Never had any problems until this year. The batteries are not wanting to hold a charge. Thats the only problem though.
I was thinking thats pretty good considering I use them all the time.

my buddy went to HD the other night to get a new 18v dewalt battery.they wanted $90

they had an 18v dewalt with 2 batteries and a charger for $149.kind of ignorant IMO but that's how it is.

my buddy went to HD the other night to get a new 18v dewalt battery.they wanted $90

they had an 18v dewalt with 2 batteries and a charger for $149.kind of ignorant IMO but that's how it is.

Depot often runs sales with 2 batteries for $99. Single batteries are absurd.

I agree. I don't understand some folks. I had a guy come in over the weekend wanting to buy a replacement hex shanked drill bit that he broke. Unfortunately, we don't sell them individually. I realize this is not smart, but on the other hand they are cheap sets to begin with and mostly homeowners use the hex shanked bits.

That's not the point though. This guy got visibly agitated and started stomping his feet and was on the verge of shaking. He asked me the same question 3 times, "You mean I'm supposed to buy a new set if one breaks!?" I answered affirmatively 3 times, and after he paced and stomped for about 5 minutes, he grabs a bit and stomps out.

Now, I admit us not having the replacement bit is annoying, but to allow a $2 bit out of a $15 set to upset you that much is ridiculous. I can only imagine what his blood pressure and stomach ulcers were like, not to mention the family that has to put up with him. If he wanted to complain, he should complain, but not allow it to upset him. Furthermore, complaining to me, an hourly sales person, is ridiculous. I have just under no say as far as what we stock.

I thought everybody you converse with gets visibly agitated, stomach ulcers, and a raise in blood pressure and stomps their feet not just disgruntal customers.:chainsaw:

Everyone pretty much covered most of them. I'll throw in something that hasn't been mentioned. A good tap and die set!!!

I recommend Greenfield

Latest posts

Back