Top handle saws - what's the deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree w/ Cut4Fun: healthy respect and a good dose of common sense and I don't see the issue w/ tophandle.
Granted, I do agree that the rear handle design is much easier and probably safer to use.
I've used my 015 that I paid 5.00 bucks for a great deal on the ground, but it gets all the respect my 346 and 540 get.
The climber only IMO is a bit biased...anyhow how safe could they be if they learned to run a tophandle hangin from a tree...because they all say they would never use one on the ground.
And yes I've one-handed...haven't attempted the swashbuckling move or the machette chop w/ it.

They might have more kick back potential... but they are only little saws.

And that thought right there will get you hurt. I know a guy who about cut off his hand with a 200t. Another on who needed over 150 stitches in his leg from one of those top handle homelites. And one guy who cut up his face so bad with an 019 that he is still having surgeries 8 years later.

They might have more kick back potential... but they are only little saws :sword:

I Use a little Homelite... see 'lite' :laugh: same as 'little'..... great for onehanding while hanging off a ladder :taped:

:popcorn:

EDIT: Should read I use...

And that thought right there will get you hurt. I know a guy who about cut off his hand with a 200t. Another on who needed over 150 stitches in his leg from one of those top handle homelites. And one guy who cut up his face so bad with an 019 that he is still having surgeries 8 years later.

You forgot to quote: :sword: or :taped: or :popcorn:

Sorry to hear about those guys. A chain spinning at that speed, no matter the driving force behind it is gonna hurt - no doubt!! If they can't figure that out before hand, maybe they soon will learn...... the hard way.

I don't think that is what Jonsered 2095 meant. Any saw, no matter how small it is, can hurt you. It's just that I would rather see an amateur with a 200T in his hand than I would a 660. It seems to me that every time someone writes in and asks for a recommendation for a new chainsaw even if he is just Harry Homeowner asking about a MS 170 or a Husky 137, he will get back post after post telling him he needs a 5100 or a 361. In my mind and experience, that is dangerous.

Back