Top handle saws - what's the deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a small rear handle is ideal as a climbing saw said:
I think you are right Ax-man, I use my 260 pro in the tree more than my
200T. Although I never one hand there are still times when nothing but the 200T will do, But I'm always aware that the little buzzsaw is the most dangerous tool I own.

We cost-shared some city tree felling with our "behind us" neighbors a few years ago; they had some elms to cut down and we had some pesky box elders. Sixty-ish fellow and his sons; they stretched out of that bucket as far as they could, one-handing their Stihl 020s in a way that reminded me of my dad carving a Thanksgiving turkey with an electric knife. The word "swashbuckling" came to mind; an arborist saw would be Errol Flynn's saw.

I've been thinking about getting an 020/200 or 019/192 on eBay, in case I have to climb, or just to have more reach when it's needed. I can't imagine how I could one-hand (and still actually control!) my 018 or 280.

Pop quiz: what art painting (hint: VERY large) features a man wielding a Stihl 015? (Hint 2: it's an OLD saw, no hand guard let alone a chain brake, but the painting is less than 10 years old.)

One hand cutting with normal rear handle saws is bad news, too hard on your joints and muscles and a major pita, with top handles, pruning, one hand cutting is fine, keep the tree trunk between you and the saw, but the swashbucklers are 99% ring-a-dingers, smooth and steady wins out..

I dont know, please post a pic of the painting.

Top handled saws suck for ground use, it's much better to pop ya steel capped boot under that limb to lift it from the dirt then whack it with a rear handled saw with 2 hands on it.:laugh: :laugh:

O.K... I've been away for a few years...

One hand cutting with normal rear handle saws is bad news, too hard on your joints and muscles and a major pita, with top handles, pruning, one hand cutting is fine, keep the tree trunk between you and the saw, but the swashbucklers are 99% ring-a-dingers, smooth and steady wins out..

but what the heck is a "ring-a-dinger":monkey:

Hi Lake, ring-a -ding as on the trigger, the chain's cutting 90% air :eek:

I think a small rear handle is ideal as a climbing saw, but this is just my opinion only.

Yep, it's what i prefer, although the 200t does have its uses now and then.

One hand cutting with normal rear handle saws is bad news, too hard on your joints and muscles and a major pita.

Not really, you just have to have the arms to handle it.:laugh:

My biggest concern with homeowners and top handle saws is that they don't respect them like they do a bigger saw. Hand a homeowner a 441 and they will handle it very gingerly and make sure they are very careful. I know a homeowner that won't even run a 346 full throttle because it scares him. But hand that same homeowner a top-handle saw, and they are no longer afraid of it-they will whip it around with no concern whatsoever. They don't seem to realize they will cut your leg off just as easily (if not more easily) than a rear handled saw.

Everybody has one handed a saw. If they say they never have they are lyin'.

No worries.

Gary

Yep. I remember one time a few years ago I took my 394 husky to get a limb out of a tree in the yard. The limb was higher than I could reach off of the step ladder, so I one handed the 394 as high as I could reach straight up standing on the step next to the top of the ladder and cut it off. Would have made you guys cringe and cuss the retarded dumbass homeowners. :cheers: :)

Yep. I remember one time a few years ago I took my 394 husky to get a limb out of a tree in the yard. The limb was higher than I could reach off of the step ladder, so I one handed the 394 as high as I could reach straight up standing on the step next to the top of the ladder and cut it off. Would have made you guys cringe and cuss the retarded dumbass homeowners. :cheers: :)

yep.. can't say I haven't done something that myself now and then though... 8 lives left

Haven't read this tread - but stay away from the top-handles, unless you are a climber - they are down-rite dangerous for ground use.....:greenchainsaw:

...well in the trees as well, but there you don't really have a choise.

My light-duty saw is the Husky 339xp, rear handle version of the 338xpt, but with a bit more power......

Last edited:
While I won't go so far out onto that limb to say top-handles are for climbing/bucket work ONLY, I will say they are not well suited for anything else. I love my 200t but never use it with my feet on terra firma. It's not a safety thing for me 'cuz it's much less safe what I do with 'er in the tree, but the complete lack of ergonomics for effective saw work that dictates I pick up an appropriate saw for the work at hand. There is absolutely no advantage to the top-handled saw's design except for the reasonable ability to one hand it, period. If you're going keep both hands on the saw at all times what's the advantage to having them roughly six inches apart??

Sure in the old days Homie, Mac, Echo, etc..... produced gobs of homeowner top handles, reason being they were the only saws that weighed less than 15 lbs. With modern saw manufacturing the way it is there is no good reason to buy a top handle unless you are going to one hand it. There are plenty of decent, light consumer quality saws on the market with conventional handle configuration that are way more appropriate, safe and ergonomic for light duty cutting and limbing. People buy top handles these days because they like to one-hand it(and not admit it :chainsaw: ) or they don't know any better. My :cheers: worth.

I dont know, please post a pic of the painting.

It's called Empty Every Night, from 1998, by David Becker. The real thing hangs at the Chazen Museum of Art in Madison. Note: The picture is, to understate, eye-opening. Def'ly adult themes; link-follower discretion is advised. (BTW, the guy with the shotgun is the artist in self-portrait).

Also note that the painting itself is about 5 by 9 FEET; the online pic doesn't show it, but you can clearly see the old Stihl logo and the "015" plate.

Plus, liability concerns back then were nowhere near what they are today.

Right on Spike, didn't think to add that but that reason may be the biggest one not mentioned........yet. We've got more lawyers in this country then we know what to do with. The supply coming out of law school every year far eclipses the demand in real law.

I believe the increased liability is one of the reasons some saw manufacturers inflate the price tag on top handles. Trying limit Harry homeowner spontaneous purchases and pushing the product towards serious professionals. Not all manufacturers, but some......;) There are not nearly as many top handles on the market as 20 years ago.

They might have more kick back potential... but they are only little saws :sword:

I Use a little Homelite... see 'lite' :laugh: same as 'little'..... great for onehanding while hanging off a ladder :taped:

:popcorn:

EDIT: Should read I use...

Last edited:
Back