Topping Big Cedar Snag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1I'dJak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
One of the more adrenalizing jobs I've had....big snag top redcedar...judging by the fact that there was no way my 18' lanyard would go around the but, it was about an 8 footer maybe more....Local municiipality wanted the snag tops taken down to a height that wouldn't reach a nearby building or the 3 phase....

I sometimes keep my climbing line in my pack to keep it from hanging up in limbs...and there were a crapload in that tree below the dead tops.... nothings worse than getting you line wrapped round a branch...

Gut instinct... a few times I was wondering what the f#**! I was doing up there...especially when I'd see the tops wobbling around...the first top was bigger than I liked....I wanted to take it small so I could give it a push to where I wanted it to go (away from the powerlines)....no way I was wedging it.... as i was chunking down the main stem I saw a racoon just below me in the hollow of the tree...first time i ever saw that...

I don't really know what to say Jak. Good for you and stuff, but wow. I have climbed big trees like that but I never climbed the grey tops, just fell 'em.

that raccoon mustve been thinking that you needed another rope bag to help carry your balls around.

nice work jak......as long as the wood isnt punky, right? lol

much respect to that climb in particular! thanks for the pics.

Back