Toronto, Canada Maple with a split - can I save half a tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markbcanada

Reaction score
View attachment 302940View attachment 302941View attachment 302942

Hello from Toronto, Canada:

I have a 60- 80 foot Maple. The trunk is 40 inches in circumference. About 6 feet from the ground, this tree goes into 2 main trunks. The tree has split just above the Y in one of the main trunks (the split is horizontal and looks to be a stress jagged split - look closely at tree3 pic on the left side ).

The tree is still healthy at this point, all the leaves are green and look healthy but at the main trunk where the tree follows the bark is damaged and I am starting to see lots of insect holes. My concern is that with the next big wind storm this tree will split completely and come down.

My question is: Can this tree be saved by cutting one the damaged Y branch off the tree, keeping the other main branch?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated in this matter.

Thanks tons!

Mark

If you must keep your defective Norway Maple (best to remove tree) have a cable support system professionally installed. This will help hold that weak decaying main crotch from splitting out & buy you some time. Do not hack off one side.

Aw man! That split looks like it runs the length of the trunk in the first pic! Amazing.

I have removed too many large trees from my property so I know it is tough. Just remove it and lose the worry. Out on the back forty I MIGHT leave it but it looks like it is in tight quarters.

FWIW on my cell it looks like the split is older and the tree is trying to encapsulate the damage. Man. That looks dangerous to sleep or park your car under. Also, I despise cables on anything but the most valuable tree, and then only one my kid will not be playing under. If you get quotes on cables ask the company installing them if they are sure enough of their work to pay your insurance deductable if it fails.

Hire professional, insured help to remove it.

Thanks for the replies.

The crack goes horizontal (not vertical at all or on an angle) is jagged and is across the left main branch only. It does not affect the right main branch and or the base of the tree, it is above the main trunk by about 12".

I don't see a cable solving this problem.

I understand cut it down, and all the tree work around my property has been done by an arborist, but I was just wondering if you can save a mature tree that has grown in a Y pattern by taking the affected left main branch off and leaving the right.

The canopy is beautiful on this tree and I for one would rather help this tree live a longer life than just cut the whole thing down.

Is cutting a whole main branch going to affect the tree so negatively that the remaining part will just suffer the same fate?

Thanks for the input,

Mark

Looking at the pictures, the whole tree is affected, cutting the left half will not save your tree, it will leave a large wound for infection to get in and hasten its demise.

I would remove that tree if possible it is a hazard. The problem with removing one side is as previously stated it leaves a huge wound and creates an even bigger window for decay. And being a twin stemmed tree most of its life it leaves a very uneven crown which makes it much more susceptible for a wind failure event. Also the tree may have carpenter ants already in it as the holes in the trunk look as if they are from woodpeckers not insects. I would remove the tree and get rid of the hazard.

Hope this helps,

Random

Latest posts

Back