Torque, RPMs, Porting...My Philosophy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only fault I have found in the 23 you have ported me.... is they all use too much damn gas (which is a good thing bc it means more breaks) and they are too loud.:D
Oh and..... :bowdown:

23..... Wow! I thought I was bad with 7:eek:
He made mine all Loud and Thirsty too!
I enjoy the extra breaks as well.;)

5u7asenu.jpg

I gotta share something here........

We all like to think that we are building saws that are the strongest, fastest, meanest, etc.....

I have another consideration. After all, I just build saws for work.

Safety.

The days of getting every ounce of power I can find out of the work saws I build are pretty much over......and have been for a while now.

That's not something I really post about, but there it is. Can I make a saw that's a little faster? Oh yeah......I call those "extra spicy".

Here's the thing though.......a guy starts the backcut on a heavy head leaner.......the ultra high compression finely tuned "on the edge" machine in his hands decides to take a dump......

That's a bad day.

I still build the "extra spicy" saws for guys that want a "GTG" saw. But my true work saws are a little different. Toned down a wee bit....

These days I'm looking at ways to make them perform at least 30% better than stock, while keeping the unit as quiet as possible. Fuel economy is also a consideration, but most importantly is the unit's dependability.

Just keeping it real.......

I like that your "coming out of the closet" with this, although most that have used you again and again know how you "roll". I prefer the "torquey" work saw, I have absolutely no use for a cookie cutter or gtg saw. I want something " conservatively enhanced" that is gonna pull the chain hard and aggressively and put wood in my stove. I do like the idea of a quieter saw, spent my life around diesels and machinery. I have three diesel trucks- 7.3 Powerstroke with 6'' straight exhaust, a 5.9 cummins with 5'' all the way back, and a brand new '14 Dodge 3500 with 6.7 (still stock- only had it a month)..... guess which one I enjoy as a daily driver more? -The new one.

Would you by chance have any (extra spicy) recipes for a 288? I'm gonna try my hand at a pipe. It will probably be ugly because my tig skills aren't that great yet.

my mastermind 288 is the saw that sent my Stihls down the road and started my infatuation with Husqvarna.

Are any of you guys with experience prepared to talk about ignition advance?
After many years of dynos and programable ignition and fuelling this kinda scares me with two strokes and timing advance controlled by a box I can't mess with. It's like going back to dizzys and weights and springs, but worse.
There is some interesting stuff written about optimising ignition timing in two strokes from the days when it was the norm in road racing motorbikes, but they had knock sensors and lots of other goodies to help.
Those of you who have the experience of trying different coils and different advance settings on multiple engines - what do you notice? When advancing the ignition timing do you just keep going till it stops making a positive difference, and then back off a degree for safety's sake, or...?

Lots of great information here, and I'm glad to see this thread has really taken a turn for the better. I'm anxious, like several others I'm sure, to see the latest graphs!!

Waylan

Latest posts

Back