Tough cutting conditons, any change?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eyeinstine said:
Hey harry,

with your oil set at max, do you ever find that you run out of oil before you run out of gas???

Thanks
Ron

Never have in the many saws I ran. My newest MS310 has about 1/8 tank left (by eyeball). I misread the original post, didn't realize it was asking about the oil mix.

Harry K

Stumper said:
Just cut it up. (If you are running 50/1 mix ratio my personal thoughts are to run more oil-32/1 on everything all the time. "Experts" disagree so take that fopr what it is worth.

I think it's a valid point that, whatever mix ratio you decide on, you should be able to use that ratio all the time. Changing the ratio around to meet the application doesn't make good sense.

Just Cut the Tree

Just cut the tree up!

You have an excellent saw and it will pull a 20 inch bar just fine with sharp chain. Tell your neighbor that you will need to get a couple chains and have them pay for them. This way, if you have no way of sharpening them, you can change chains when the become dull. I would not hesitate for one second to use that saw to cut up a large maple.

Give it time to breathed also, take your time, give the saw the opportunity to do it's work.

The answer to the original quesiton is this:

Get several chains sharpened and ready for your cutting day. If you only have one chain be sure to bring a file.
If the tree is bigger than your bar just cut it in chunks.

Other than that treat the saw with the same care and maintenence as your manual says that you should, NO less, NO more!

In other words Dont worry so much, just cut the tree! :cool:

That saw will not even blink at the work.  Just make sure the air filter is clean when you start, and look at it once in a while.

If you've got the Stihl chains with the triple-humped "safety" tie-straps, don't bring them to the jobsite, they do not cut well at all over the tip of the bar, and you'll be dogging in trying to swing the bar through the cut.  You definitely want either RS or RM (if Stihl chain).

Many Home Depot stores have a tool rental dept. The chainsaw they rent is the Makita/Dolmar PS 6400. Locally they are equipped with 20 & 24" bars. It will be equipped with a new chain when you rent it. If it gets dull before you are done, take it back and they will swap it out for another saw with another new chain. What a deal! Beats the heck out of buying a saw you may seldom or never need again.

Jimbo

Thanks for the suggestions, I realy like the one that suggested a 046-66, or I was thinking more along the lines of the big Echo. But Ma says the rent is due. Only saws I found for rent around here are 036 size or smaller. I use the Rapid Super chains and just happen to have a couple new ones. Guess I'll mix up a fresh batch of fuel and have at it tomorrow.

Ditto. Either the mix is correct or it isn't.

By the way.. the tree commission is legally liable to finish the work they had started. Personally, I'd take that big wood and cram it up their collective rectums, but I'm a redneck anyways...

I also wouldn't run anything over a 20" on that saw. If you wanted that saw warmed up a bit, Ed "EHP" here does quite a good job, from everything I've heard.

Butch (OH), don't forget to let us know how you made out with that big sucker and your 036. :Eye: :Eye:

Back