Tracked Aerial Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, but I know the facts.

Definitions:

26,000 GVWR= light truck
26,001 GVWR= heavy truck
10,000 GVWR= light trailer
10,001 GVWR= heavy trailer

You need a cdl if you are driving EITHER a heavy truck or a heavy trailer. If you are towing a heavy trailer, you need class a "A" cdl. If you are driving a heavy truck with a light trailer, you only need a class "B" CDL.

My understanding is that the U.S. Federal Gov. made all the States standardize all the rules, so each state should be pretty much the same.

Missouri regs, read here on page 2: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNETU8jnGFMYOFlpZdvAxyhPxUnAHg&cad=rjt

The actual weight of the vehicle (the GVW), has no bearing whatsoever on what kind of drivers license you are required to have. I have been down this path in other threads as AS, and those of you that take the time to look up the rules for yourself always end up admitting that I am right.

If you were driving an F-150 that was towing 2 grossly overloaded trailers for a combined gross vehicle weight of 42,000 lbs, you still would not get a citation for "No CDL". You would still be in a lot of trouble.

Surprisingly, there is no law against exceeding the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. You can get an over-weight ticket 5 ways: Exceed licensed weight, posted weight, axle weight rating, tire weight rating, and the infamous but seldom ticketed "Bridge Law". You can't get a ticket for exceeding GVWR. In fact, I used to routinely purchase overweight permits that clearly exceeded the GVWR of my truck.

I am finding this very hard to respond to, not sure what part your having trouble with... I think you are completely missing how the CDL requirements are written.
Commercial Driver's License Program (CDL/CDLIS) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

the combination of the truck and trailer's gvw's must exceed 26,001 AND the trailer must be over 10,001 for it to be a class A.

I am not sure why you are having trouble understanding this one, its very clearly explained in both of the links i have posted. I have also discussed the issue with DOT officer’s during a voluntary inspection.

The operating in excess of rated capacity issue. I have not found a useful link to post (I have already wasted too much time on this issue) The Overweight permits we use say very clearly all over them "not to exceed rated capacity of vehicle", not sure what your permits look like but that’s what the MA and NH permits say. Regardless running trucks rated capacity is not a good solution to getting a CDL, that was my point. I have been an accident where DOT was weighing the truck and trailer (1ton pulling a bobcat trailer) to see if they were overweight enough to warrant an out of class ticket. I was a passenger in the truck and this is what the DOT officers explained to me. I will find out more tomorrow, I should be able to get the statutes numbers the refer to this issue from a DOT officer I know.

So how about that tracked Aerial lift? Who really gives a #### about CDL or non CDL. I am willing to bet nearly all of us have broken the cdl laws.

if your towing it on a trailer most of the ones i seen that where worth having would require a CDL to tow. the lifts weight 7 to 8k including a trialer i have a Foster trailer with 20 feet of deck that with 7k on it would weigh in at over 10k so its Class A CDL.

the only ones i noticed that where under where the trailer mounted models. enless you want a 40 foot lift.

spider lift 23gt weighs in around 7k

it only takes a few hours out of your life not hard to get. i took a class A in a 5 ton dump with a 12k gvw trailer on the back.

Last edited:
No air brake endorsement is required in ct on underweight trucks equiped with air brakes. Regular license is all.

Trailers over 10k, with no cdl, would have a problem!

Still wouldn't wanna make a habit out of running around over weight though!!

In pa i have been put on scales a few times in pittsburgh and in MT. Lebanon. i would be broke by now with fines if we ran illegale.

They put my f-550 on scales a 5 ton dump with a gvw of like 21k not 100% sure on the gvw but they weighed it to see if it was over.

the combination of the truck and trailer's gvw's must exceed 26,001 AND the trailer must be over 10,001 for it to be a class A.

Damn. I said I wasn't going to say anymore but here I am. You were right!

:bowdown::bowdown:

But Thank YOU for bringing this to my attention! Apparently the rules have been re-written, and I am going to track down and pull over the first KCPD DOT officer I can find. Maybe Missouri was forced by the feds to come into compliance by the feds.

We do their tree work at where they park their trucks, and I am going to get to the bottom of this. You see, I have paid MANY tickets for letting one of my guys pull our over 10k trailer with an under 26k truck. So...I have some training to do for some DOT guys.

... Regardless running trucks rated capacity is not a good solution to getting a CDL, that was my point. ...

No argument from me there.

ability to go vertical so far then horizontal. go up and over things. telescopic usually has more side reach.

The tele, or squirt boom, is usefull on removals, but sucks for general trim work.

I client/buddy has a 100ft Teupen that is awesome on big removals. I've used in in old oak deadwooding, and it is impractical to not be able to move around limbs.

I just wanted to add that there is no such thing as an air brake endorsement on a CDL in the states.:rock:

I just wanted to add that there is no such thing as an air brake endorsement on a CDL in the states.:rock:

yes sir its a seperate test and the whole nine yards. you can have a CDL without the airbrake endorsment they make trucks over 26k without air brakes. Seperate part of your driving test also when i took mine i had to go over them with the instructor.

if i remember correctly CDL written test is 50 questions

air brakes is 25 question test.

Nope, sorry but you are mistaken.

All CDLs are without an air brake endorsement, because there is no such thing.

You can however have an air brake restriction.

well ill agree with that thier is no stamp on the front of the license like a tanker or hazmat. On the back of my license i see where it says restrictions. i think thats what everyone means when they say endorsment, thier just refering to them having passed the air brake test.

My CLD shows:
Class A
Endors T
I took the air brake test and the T is for triples. I thought that there was an air brake endorsment on my license. I took the test in the early 80's and it may have been on then.
I guess that Class A includes air brakes.
10,001 BBQ's require a CDL. A friend builds pits in Houston and has to get them weighed and over 10,001 requires a CDL.

My CLD shows:
Class A
Endors T
I took the air brake test and the T is for triples. I thought that there was an air brake endorsment on my license. I took the test in the early 80's and it may have been on then.
10,001 BBQ's require a CDL. A friend builds pits in Houston and has to get them weighed and over 10,001 requires a CDL.

Yes, air brakes were originally a separate test and endorsement. I guess that's no longer true.
Phil

My CLD shows:
Class A
Endors T

All CDLs incluide air brakes unless it has a restriction.

Trailers over 10k alone do NOT require a CDL.

Now if he is pulling them with a truck that has a GVWR of 16k - 26k then being over or under 10k with the trailer would determine if he needs a CDL or not. Actual weight still doesn't make a difffference here as it goes by GVWR.

TxDPS - CVE Commercial Driver License Classifications

Originally the air brake was an endorsement.....then they put that fancy barcode on the back of the license & it became restrictions with */* beside it........meaning none!

The early CDL`s had alot of the alphabet on there & was confusing to some in law enforcement.......these codes found in the FMCSR were not usually in the hands of mr. local policeman........so now you got restrictions & endorsements, A, M, T, N, X.....& so on!

Now, the tracked or towable lifts.......I had a thread called "pros & cons" not sure if it is still on here, but it had alot of good info!!!

LXT..............

There is no A or M endorsement or restriction.

These all use to be endorsements............A & M are class....the rest are endorsements, the early CDL showed everything as an endorsement......I just forgot to mention (class).

below the endorsement is the restriction......if none then */*, also on the back of the license depending on state right below class is RST: "which is where written restrictions would show up, such as corrective lenses required & so on"

well enough with the CDL...........feel like Im back teaching orientation for truck drivers!!!

LXT............

These all use to be endorsements............A & M are class....the rest are endorsements, the early CDL showed everything as an endorsement......I just forgot to mention (class).

below the endorsement is the restriction......if none then */*, also on the back of the license depending on state right below class is RST: "which is where written restrictions would show up, such as corrective lenses required & so on"

well enough with the CDL...........feel like Im back teaching orientation for truck drivers!!!

LXT............

Says the guy that thinks you need a CDL for a trailer over 10k GVWR and a 3/4 ton pickup. :laugh:

Says the guy that thinks you need a CDL for a trailer over 10k GVWR and a 3/4 ton pickup. :laugh:

I have never seen so many guys so mixed up about what you need a CDL for. When I got mine 30 years ago it was a pretty cut and dried deal and still is. It is all in the little study book they give you.

Well come to PA hauling your >10,001 trailer with your 3/4 ton pickup......with your class B or better yet....your class C.....Mr.DOT will love you :laugh:............you might wanna read your federal motor carrier regs uhh?

30 yr CDL..............WTF, the commercial drivers license here wasnt put into play untill the early 90`s......I remember when truckers could have multiple licenses from many different states...............unless fattymax re-wrote the laws back in 78 LOL

LXT...............

what I think... is that some get confused on combination vehicle vs trailer laden/unladen? in my state you better be registered as a combination vehicle with that >10,001 trailer..............the weight of the tractor doesnt matter, its what weight you cannot exceed with both units together..........& even with that you can still be under on gross weight but over on axle weight.....

However...........Fatmax will probably disagree as he probably doesnt think you need a Med Card or a written pre trip/post trip inspection either...........funny how I just went through a mandatory DOT audit & was compliant on every aspect....thank god......but hey what do I know, someone a few states away will be sure to explain my states laws to me.....:dizzy: Yep, dot number, motor carrier number, road tax sticker.......dont need any of that crap either uhh? LMFAO.......

See the top post with frank boyer quoted........his buddy builds BBQ pits & over 10,001 needs CDL....Hmm guess Im not the only one who`s state requires such???

LXT.................

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back