tractor or skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidoo52

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
im doing a thinning project this winter. it is 60 acres mostly red and white oak and some hickory. i will be turning it all into firewood. what do you guys prefer to get the logs to the landing? a 4 wheel drive 50 horse plus tractor with a farmi winch or a cable skidder?

I would say use what you've got. That would be what I would do. But I don't have either. So if I were looking at doing that job and it was a one time kind of deal and had to buy something I would go with the tractor. It can be used for a lot of other things and I would think it would do fine at skidding logs. I have seen some nice looking tractor and winch setups posted here.

Never used a skidder, but the Farmi type winch and a tractor can definitely do the job. I've been using my FIL's Kubota w/ a Farmi, and the wood it will pull is amazing. Yesterday we pulled out a 30" Doug Fir that had over a cord in it w/o getting the machine out of an idle. They are handy as heck.

I'd go with a tractor, simply because it can have so many more uses than just for skidding logs. A nice FWD with loaded tires will surprise you, especially 50 hp! Our everday tractor is a 38 hp Branson 3820i and it's the go everywhere, do anything rig.

And actually, if you're thinning only, I don't think I'd want something bigger than the Branson we've got or you lose a lot of mobility in the trees. Of course, not having the FEL on there would help.

Just use the tractor.

If you were doing more acreage or even doing 60 acres every year for the next ten years, then maybe get the skidder.

Have fun and be safe!

My everyday tractor is a 45hp 4x4 with a cab. I don't have a winch so I just choke the logs to the scraper box and go, I have only been stuck a few times and even then I just used the bucket to push myself out. As a bonus, you can drop the scraper box to groom the trail on the return trip and use the bucket to clear your way into new areas.

Skidder is a one trick pony. Once the logs are skidded you cannot do much with it. A tractor with a winch will skid them to a landing, but now a tractor can load logs onto a truck, or power a woodsplitter, or if you got the coin it can power a low end firewood processor. Tractor can also clear snow, dig holes, drop bodies in the them, fill them in, mow the grass, plow the fields, plant crops, lift heavy things that need lifting, you name it. Skidder, just skids, oh and breaks down a lot.

I logged with a skidder back in the '80's. I now use a 30 hp Kubota with a Fransgard winch to cut firewood on my lot and I couldn't be happier with it. The reduced power forces me to put more thought into the way I drop the trees but I think it is the way to go in a small operation.
One thing I don't regret buying is a self releasing snatch block. This isn't the one I have but is the same idea.
http://www.farmiwinch.com/newpage18.htm
It really allows me to reach off the trail and the tractor stays on the trail (for the most part) and pulling straight. Pulling at to much of an angle isn't a good idea with this set up.
Good luck.

I'd say tractor with Farmi winch. You can do so much more with the tractor besides skid logs.

You can do a lot with a 4 wheel drive 50hp farm tractor. Log skidders can get expensive, like everybody else said they can only do a couple things, skid logs and push smaller trees over. I have both a 45hp New Holland and a 180hp Garrett Line skidder. The skidder is nice to have when moving big wood but it eats more fuel and tires are really expensive. In the end it all depends on how much $$ you want to spend.

IMHO, I think an 80hp+ tractor would be more versatile than a skidder. A tractor has better visibility, you can lift just as much, drag close to as much, put chains on them, and move around in the woods.
Plus a tractor can go down the road 20 mph or faster, and has a power take off and 3 point for other possibilities.:cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMHO, I think an 80hp+ tractor would be more versatile than a skidder. A tractor has better visibility, you can lift just as much, drag close to as much, put chains on them, and move around in the woods.
Plus a tractor can go down the road 20 mph or faster, and has a power take off and 3 point for other possibilities.:cheers:

Is that a row crop front end on that International or is it just the perspective from the photograph?

Is that a row crop front end on that International or is it just the perspective from the photograph?
Yeah, it's a narrow front end. The back wheels are moved out to 38" and have fluid in them. The extra weight in the tires is a must for traction, especially with the loader.

Unless you are getting into to it full time, with alot of work lined up, stick with the tractor and a winch, a skidder will cost more and have less uses when not logging than a tractor. A tractor also have a greater and larger market for resale.

Back