Tractor Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a Ford 2000 with a FEL when I was much younger and it served us very well, but I didn't get to use it much. I've used other utility tractors, and the 4WD has saved me many times. I've learned that it doesn't take much of a grade to get into trouble with 2WD when the ground has less than optimal traction. Switching to 4WD solves the problem. :clap:

I have been looking at a massey 2605 (39 hp) 4wd with loader, toothed grapple bucket and fransgaurd v4000 timber winch. The price is steep, but if you figure the tractor should last 30-40 years easy, it doesn't seem like that bad of an investment.

The thing I have noticed is there arent to many good deals on used ones or to get any kind of a deal on a used one they have very high hours.

This is the same setup I want for my tractor. It would be nice on the real cold or hot days to have a cab, but I think without it would be easier to get through the timber and use the tractor.

I was looking at the B1700 or 7100 series and decided on one a bit larger. if you have any hills you NEED 4wd. Here is a pic of mine.

attachment.php

I would keep looking around - I got this(L235DT /power steering) for 5k with 600 hours on it. The thing with a tractor is weight. Some of the newer smaller lawn mower types dont have much to them. I have the front tires foam filled and the back liquid filled im guessing it added around 1k lbs to the machine.- what a difference that made to the stability of the tractor. 4wd is a must have on a small tractors with a FEL(front end loader)

Power steering is also a really nice thing to have. if your doing a lot of front end loader work

Last edited:
Might want to look at skid loaders also. I have a John Deere 260 and I use it a lot more then my tractor. It is very handy. You can also make some side with one. I have a AC 190xt and it gets used very little. It's a big machine though. With 2 acres just get a lawn tractor(I bet you already have one) and a skid loader. You never know what ill come your way with a skid loader. I as recently contacted to tear out streets and curd and guttering with my machine and a breaker. They told me they had 2 months solid work. It's a great gig for me right now.

Scott

Might want to look at skid loaders also. I have a John Deere 260 and I use it a lot more then my tractor. It is very handy. You can also make some side with one. I have a AC 190xt and it gets used very little. It's a big machine though. With 2 acres just get a lawn tractor(I bet you already have one) and a skid loader. You never know what ill come your way with a skid loader. I as recently contacted to tear out streets and curd and guttering with my machine and a breaker. They told me they had 2 months solid work. It's a great gig for me right now.

Scott

:agree2: I think those little compacts are toys, expensive too. I've had so many uses for my Skid loader it isn't funny. I bought a grapple bucket for it, it paid for itself within 2 months of owning it. Best investment I've made in quite some time.

A tracked vehicle would tear up my lawn too much. I'm looking for something just to help out with the heavier lawn tasks, not to break up asphalt.. LOL

For instance, my wife just got finished with a rock path around to her garden area. Now we need to bring some sand up to fill between the rocks. Would be nice to have a little FEL to bring it up instead of shoveling it into the garden cart, pulling it up with the mower, re-shoveling it onto the path and then spreading it. With the FEL it would be scoop, dump, spread, done.

Ian

Edit... I always thought of a skid loader as tracked. Did a search and was surprised to find the smaller ones with wheels.

Last edited:
So look at some wheeled skid steers:) I use mine for lawn tasks as well and you can go on finished grass just fine, you just have to turn it like a tractor and not SS, if your careful enough you can get out with a little footprint left, if they didn't Landscapers wouldn't use them, try finding a real landscape company that doesn't have skid loaders in there fleet, it's probaly Bobcats biggest customers. Construction SS are normally CAT. Then you have the versatility of heavy tasks as well. But I'm sure you'[ve made your mind up on what your needs are, I'm just ranting away:cheers:

HW, As someone else pointed out 50-75 HP is your best buy and good size to do alot of work. My Deere probably doesn't have any bigger foot print than that Ford 2000 or 3000 but is twice the tractor. I agree if your planning on using it on lawns as I do a tractor will serve you well. There are times even with a 60 PTO HP tractor I wish I had 4WD but I've managed pretty well for 99% of the time. I admit it would be hard to go back to even a 70's tractor for loader and grapple work after owning a newer more modern setup. For loader/grapple work its hard to beat the newer tractors. And without PS forget it. His a short list of options to look for
  • Lots of gear selection ex. 3+ ranges
    Diff lock
    PS
    Live power
    Joy Stick Control/Multi function joy stick
    Remotes on loader
    Quick Tach loader.....a must!
303757747.jpg

Last edited:
A tracked vehicle would tear up my lawn too much. I'm looking for something just to help out with the heavier lawn tasks, not to break up asphalt.. LOL

For instance, my wife just got finished with a rock path around to her garden area. Now we need to bring some sand up to fill between the rocks. Would be nice to have a little FEL to bring it up instead of shoveling it into the garden cart, pulling it up with the mower, re-shoveling it onto the path and then spreading it. With the FEL it would be scoop, dump, spread, done.

Ian

Edit... I always thought of a skid loader as tracked. Did a search and was surprised to find the smaller ones with wheels.

It also depends on what tracks are on it and how large it is. Mine has slick tracks made special for turf and it really works as advertised. When we go to cut a tree down, the tree falling will make more damage then my skid. It only weighs about 3,000 lbs and with the weights I had made for the back will pick up over 1,000 lbs. To give you an idea of its size, the trailer it's on in this picture is only a 5'x12' trailer.

2009-03-30004.jpg

Edit: most Home Depot Rental Centers rent these ASV RC30s (with regular tracks) if you wanted to try it out.

Do they have a 3 point hitch and a PTO in the back for mounting small plows and running a 3 pt tiller? That would be part of it's duties.

Ian

Last edited:
It also depends on what tracks are on it and how large it is. Mine has slick tracks made special for turf and it really works as advertised. When we go to cut a tree down, the tree falling will make more damage then my skid. It only weighs about 3,000 lbs and with the weights I had made for the back will pick up over 1,000 lbs. To give you an idea of its size, the trailer it's on in this picture is only a 5'x12' trailer.

2009-03-30004.jpg

Edit: most Home Depot Rental Centers rent these ASV RC30s (with regular tracks) if you wanted to try it out.

Interesting tracks. What they run you..?

Do they have a 3 point hitch and a PTO in the back for mounting small plows and running a 3 pt tiller? That would be part of it's duties.

Ian

Yup, like Gink showed, you can get an adaptor to run 3 point hitch stuff but you'd have to run it in front of you instead of behind you. :greenchainsaw:

I feel your pain, Hay.
Last year I bought a new Kubota BX 25. It's great for around the home. With the industrial tires, the lawn doesn't get tore up. You can probably buy a good used predessor, the BX 24 for 12-13K. It's kind of a toy for me; but hey I'm not gettin younger. The loader makes a wheel barrow obselete.

I've had a Kabota B5200 2 wheel drive compact tractor that I bought new in 1986. It's a 3 cylinder diesel and is a little work horse. It has a 3 point hitch and a 48'' belly mower. The pro's are it's very fuel efficient and can handle any 4' attachment and runs great. The con's are it's weight, it's a little light for pulling a lot of weight. I like that it's a 4 speed with a high/low range. Most new compacts have a hydra static drive that I don't like. I still mow 4 acres twice a week and have a turning plow/box blade and 4' disk. I chose the Kabota because at the time the Kabota had a much heavier frame. I would buy it again, if I needed a new one but so far it's lasted over 30 years and still runs great.

Blast from the past... I ended up with a Kubota BX-2660. 25.5hp 4wd diesel, 48" bucket, 60" belly mower, single 12" bottom plow, tiller, potato digger, little disc harrow, carryall for the 3pt. Loved that little machine. Sold it after the divorce.

Latest posts

Back