Trade 260pro for 046?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersammy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would post this ? down in the chainsaw forum. I think If you did the trade he should give a little money to you also. Who nows how tired that 046 is, it may already need a top end. That would not be cheap.

Beefie

Before I would trade/make offer. I would check compression, and pull muffler and check pistion. If you could post picture of cyl/pistion, and tell us the compression, we would be able to yeah/ or nay it.

You have a X-tra 260 and a 361. So the 046 would be a nice Big saw for your pack.

:cheers:

I would not trade.

I would not trade, if I were you.
Noko

I'm not sure about the trade, but you are long on 026's and short on 046's.I bought an abused 46 Mag on bay and rebuilt it.With muffler mod, it is my favorite saw. That said, his saw does look, er, well loved.

Cut a day with an 046 and you won't be pulling out the little saws much anymore if you're like me-too much fun. Looks like a well used saw though so check it out. I run a 28" bar on mine and it saves my back alot of bending with a little saw. Now the o46 is my favorite also, but I lucked into a nearly new one for 400 bones. The 046 is heavier, but if you can handle the weight.....:)

Well chainsaws have a "life". When they have been used a lot, they are pretty much worthless in my book.

I would only buy a 046 like that with the expectation that I would need to replace the head, piston, oiler, clutch, sprocket, and bearings. All those parts are quite expensive.

I would only pay $50 or $100 for an "end of life" 046. I forget what my 260 Pro cost, but I think around $600?

I wouldn`t trade even.His saw looks tired.My guess is $300.00 for his saw.$525.00 for yours.I would tell him your saw plus $225.00.:clap:

Don't Trade With Him

No way would I trade your new 260 for that older saw. If you are wanting a bigger saw you might be able to make a deal on a new one by trading in your almost new 260 Pro.

I'd rather give more to boot by trading up to a new saw from a dealer than trading even and spending money to refurbished the older one.

Nosmo

No way would I trade your new 260 for that older saw. If you are wanting a bigger saw you might be able to make a deal on a new one by trading in your almost new 260 Pro.

I'd rather give more to boot by trading up to a new saw from a dealer than trading even and spending money to refurbished the older one.

Nosmo

Yep, your brand new 260 pro is worth way more than the used 046, especially since that one seems very used. I would trade up at a dealer. I did this with a 361 that I put 10 tanks through and traded up to the ms460.

Cut a day with an 046 and you won't be pulling out the little saws much anymore if you're like me-too much fun. Looks like a well used saw though so check it out. I run a 28" bar on mine and it saves my back alot of bending with a little saw. Now the o46 is my favorite also, but I lucked into a nearly new one for 400 bones. The 046 is heavier, but if you can handle the weight.....:)

I love my big saw, but there are times when I love ripping through the stuff that's 12" and smaller with my 026 pro.

My buddy has a well used 046 that wants to trade me for my brand new stock 260pro. I already have a ported 260 that I use instead of the stock 260 and a 361. The 046 seems to run good but is this a good deal?

My 260
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Sy4c0eNlBzHaX5KmRiFF7M0zG8jQmiTo6fsBzknjZmQ?feat=directlink

His 046
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/teGZVZ3MoIKAon9pIpMYes0zG8jQmiTo6fsBzknjZmQ?feat=directlink

never judge a saw by its clutch cover, lol, Take of the muffler cover and look at the piston, make sure there is no scorring, if it looks good might be a good trade. The 046 is one of the best saws stihl makes, but its for larger wood, too heavy to use for limbing or smaller wood all day. So if you cut smaller wood keep the 026, but if you already have another its good to have an 046 for backup. Just check the cylinder and how it runs. Hope this helps.

Back