trade a redmax3800 for a jonsered 920

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enjoys cutting

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this is the story guy comes to my house with a mint no scratches and hardly a wear mark on the bottom of the saw jonsered 920.:rock: tells me his b.i.l who passed away had the saw for blocking his firewood and now buddy's sister gave it to him.wants to know if i want it cause he has a johny 630 thats to heavy for him already.buddy doesnt know if he wants money or my redmax 3800 for it.all i know is i am waiting for him to make up his mind:bang:lol what would the saw be worth? either way it will be mine soon.

i have been looking for a saw to put on a mill for awhile seems like a good one.man the compression compared to my 2159 is incredible dont have the saw yet but started it yesterday needs to be set the chain spins and also the chain brake isnt working but when i get it ill take a lookat the brake.

A 920 is about as badass as Jonsered ever got (the 930 super is the real king IMO).

Sick deal though dude. Sick deal.

I've done a lot of reading regarding the performance differences (???) between the 920 and the 930 Super, and haven't yet found any definitive information. Any concrete info you could post would be greatly appreciated.

is it possible to get a brake band or assembly for the 920or is something u need to rob from another saw?

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding the 920 is a pure Jonsered designe, i.e. there is no Husqvarna equivalent. You would be lucky to find NOS chainbrake parts, & used are hard to come by.

I've done a lot of reading regarding the performance differences (???) between the 920 and the 930 Super, and haven't yet found any definitive information. Any concrete info you could post would be greatly appreciated.

For some weird reason I'm thinking the 930 super has a larger displacement. If I'm wrong maybe it's chroming in the cylinder. Maybe I'm wrong about that too, lol....

All I know is I've ran Spike's 930 Super and that thing is FARKING BADASS!!

Jonsered920

how is a 920 for reliabillity and does it make a good saw for a mill?
mike
I have one that I bought when they first came out (somewhere around 1983-84). I have used it for milling & blocking white oak 36in dia. & honey locust 33in dia. The milling & blocking was done with a 34in B&C. I also have used it for felling with a 24in B&C. It is 87.9cc or 5.3cu in. It is a very strong bugger. You can lay on the 34in when blocking, & it just keeps chomping! The original brake band was quite skinny & would not hold. I took it back to the dealer, & he sent it back for testing, etc. They replaced with a band which was twice the width as the original &, I think, a little thicker. The filter will fill up quickly when milling ( a royal pain because the saw will run much too rich & require a stop for cleaning). The flocked filter works much better than the nylon type. I have removed the spark arrestor screen, so it sounds like a Harley (not something my neighbors enjoy)! FWIW I have it set at 13000. It still 4 strokes out of the cut & puts out maximum torque there. Another dealer (not the one I bought it from) said to keep it around 11500. That was waaaay too rich. I think it balances perfectly with the 24in B&C. As originally issued, they had a governor on the carb. They later recommended plugging (bypassing) it with a fiber plug, something which I did when the saw was bought,& before it had ever been run. If yours still has the governor, you won't be able to rev it to where it needs to be. Mine has been run on Stihl oil at 40-1 until the 50-1 came out, then I used 50-1. I'm now about to switch it to Stihl Ultra (synthetic) 50-1. I think they are great saws. Hope this has been helpful, & that you get as much fun out of running yours as I have had with mine!

As far as I know, there are an important difference in the lower part of the cylinder transfers, that make quite a difference - but I am not one of the experts (where is Spike60?).

Last edited:
Didn't anger any neighbors today. Only ran the lawn mower and the Husky SD22 overseeder. Then over to the girlfriends to paint her gallery for an upcoming show, and let me tell ya, I'm not all that fond of painting. Then to the hockey rink for a pre-season scrimmage which has this ole boy tired, sore, beat up, and worn out.

Main differences between the 920 and 930:

Air filter and covers. 920 has the single screw down through the top and filter to hold them both on. 930 uses the 630/670 filter which is held on by it's own two screws and does a much better job of sealing out the dust. The filter cover also has two screws of it's own.

Top cylinder AV mount. 920 uses rubber while the 930 uses a spring.

Cylinders. Both closed port, but the 930 is open at the bottom to the cutouts in the crankcase very much like a 372, which is a more effective way to go about it. The 920 is like a 670 or 272 with fuel only going through the piston windows. The 910 also had the open to the crankcase porting like the 930. Don't have any idea why they got away from it with the 920.

That cylinder difference is why a 930 will generally out cut a 920. I have two of each, and the 930's are both stronger than the 920's. Official max RPM's for both saws are 12,200. I usually run mine up around 13,000. Never thought about going to 13,500 before. Hmmmmmmm. :msp_sneaky:

Didn't anger any neighbors today. Only ran the lawn mower and the Husky SD22 overseeder. Then over to the girlfriends to paint her gallery for an upcoming show, and let me tell ya, I'm not all that fond of painting. Then to the hockey rink for a pre-season scrimmage which has this ole boy tired, sore, beat up, and worn out.

Main differences between the 920 and 930:

Air filter and covers. 920 has the single screw down through the top and filter to hold them both on. 930 uses the 630/670 filter which is held on by it's own two screws and does a much better job of sealing out the dust. The filter cover also has two screws of it's own.

Top cylinder AV mount. 920 uses rubber while the 930 uses a spring.

Cylinders. Both closed port, but the 930 is open at the bottom to the cutouts in the crankcase very much like a 372, which is a more effective way to go about it. The 920 is like a 670 or 272 with fuel only going through the piston windows. The 910 also had the open to the crankcase porting like the 930. Don't have any idea why they got away from it with the 920.

That cylinder difference is why a 930 will generally out cut a 920. I have two of each, and the 930's are both stronger than the 920's. Official max RPM's for both saws are 12,200. I usually run mine up around 13,000. Never thought about going to 13,500 before. Hmmmmmmm. :msp_sneaky:

I knew you'd be a big help to this thread buddy..... :cheers:

Far as I can tell, difference is the filter mount. There were thin ring 920's. The carcass of the 820-830-920-930 are all the same. Can't get cylinders, no husky equivelants either. Can still get pistons. Parts can be spendy. The Husky 288 ignition and maybe the clutch are the same. Lugger of a saw, but with few cylinders availble milling would be foolhardy.

edit..now I see Spikes info., so . what he said

Latest posts

Back