Trailer axel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_marine

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well it looks like another axel bites the dust. I have a 5x8 trailer that came stock with a 2K axel. To say the least it lasted 40 loads of wood till the spindle snapped. Well I replaced it with a 3K. Now the spindle is bent on it. So I am going to a mobil home axel. I will have to have it shortend and flipped. But that should be no problem. I have a local welder that did the one on my big trailer for me and it works like a champ. I don't know what kinda weight they can handle but I am sure I will test it out. But hey I did manage to get 2.5 cords of honey locust in today.

Ray

Well it looks like another axel bites the dust. I have a 5x8 trailer that came stock with a 2K axel. To say the least it lasted 40 loads of wood till the spindle snapped. Well I replaced it with a 3K. Now the spindle is bent on it. So I am going to a mobil home axel. I will have to have it shortend and flipped. But that should be no problem. I have a local welder that did the one on my big trailer for me and it works like a champ. I don't know what kinda weight they can handle but I am sure I will test it out. But hey I did manage to get 2.5 cords of honey locust in today.

Ray

Moble home axels are arethe sameasthe 6 lug 5200lb axles
Ken

Here is your problem Honey locust weights 3820 per cord 3820x2.5=9550 lbs!
This is not including the weight of the trailer but, maybe we can assume the truck is carrying that. Now you have a 5200 lb axle, carrying a 9550lbs load, math don't work.
I have a 6x10 trailer with 3' sides on it and have two mobile home axles under it and only carry at the most 1 1/3 cord on it and I still have issues with springs and such.
Don't just build to what you are going to haul, over build, you wont regret it, either that or lighten the load.

Here is your problem Honey locust weights 3820 per cord 3820x2.5=9550 lbs!
This is not including the weight of the trailer but, maybe we can assume the truck is carrying that. Now you have a 5200 lb axle, carrying a 9550lbs load, math don't work.
I have a 6x10 trailer with 3' sides on it and have two mobile home axles under it and only carry at the most 1 1/3 cord on it and I still have issues with springs and such.
Don't just build to what you are going to haul, over build, you wont regret it, either that or lighten the load.

I used two trucks and 1 trailer load. The one truck is a 3/4 ton. But I know I am over loading the trailer. I only put about 1 cord of wood on the trailer. But for a 3K axel it is too much weight.

Rau

yea i got a 5x10 with almost 3ft sides,with a 3000# axle and petty beefy leaf springs. 1 cord of green wood is pushin it.. when i load it up with fresh cherry and locust, that thing is cursing at me the whole way home:hmm3grin2orange:
dual axle in my future!

my "mistress" Scrap and wood hauling trailer is 24' long with a 16' box built on 2 mobile home axles...my axles are rated for 6K a piece. I have hauled over 4 tons of scrap at one time pulling it with my F150. My trailer weighs in around 2250. I have springs and have never had a problem. I agree overbuild it. grossly overbuild it. You never know.

I also talked to a guy in my area who moves and tears down mobile homes and I have an endless supply of "used tires" at my disposal. I get them from him for $25 as opposed to $100+ at the tire store.

Jeff

I can get the axels for 65 and tires for 60. Not too bad. Shortening the axel will only be about 100. So I will not complain too much. Side on the trailer are around 24". But I always stack and cord till it needs strapped down.

Ray

Springs.

Ray

Are the springs bottomed out from your load ? Or bottoming out on the road ?

I've been known for running in the 'safety margin' and been pretty good about not breaking stuff this way. OK , so I'm notorious for being overloaded , but still no break downs related to load weight.

I have a percentage rule I try to follow, at times. When loaded to rated capacity, slow down 10% from normal. Then decrease your speed by the same percentage you are overloaded.

Works for me.

Backing off on the load would not be bad idea either, considering you have up graded the axel once already.The next weakest link is waiting for you somewhere.

Remind me not to let you load my pulp truck, :). Overload fines start at $700 and the paper mill automatically remits them to the MTO (DOT)

Having a wheel come off on the highway in Ontario can cost up to 50 large:jawdrop:
Ken

Last edited:
Springs are not close to botteming out. Frame and tounge is reinforced. Axel is only weak point not solved. Trailer only get a cord at most on it.

Ray

my work horse is 24' of mobile home ibeam with 2 10,000 pound axles under it. I pull it around with my F250. I have drug 2 cavilers around with it

attachment.php

i have it on my f150 here

attachment.php

this is my F250. It has a 300 I6 4.10 gears and a 5 speed. Best damn work truck i ever had

Last edited:
Well I think it was that big maple I cut up at my brothers work that I did not want to come back for 1/4 load so we piled it up. Usually I load it up like this and stop when the wheels are two inches from the fenders. We piled that one until it was a inch from the fender but as I pulled out the drive my brother said it droped to the axle.

IMG_0913.JPG

Billy

Well I think it was that big maple I cut up at my brothers work that I did not want to come back for 1/4 load so we piled it up. Usually I load it up like this and stop when the wheels are two inches from the fenders. We piled that one until it was a inch from the fender but as I pulled out the drive my brother said it droped to the axle.

IMG_0913.JPG

Billy

broke that whole pack

Doh! Sorry bout your trailer Billy.Looks nice, other than broken spring. I'm interested in this thread as I just bought a lightly used 6x12 single axle(3.5k) trailer. On the way home I picked up a load and realized it is less than perfect for hauling heavy loads(1 cord?). Seems a 5x8 single or a bigger two axle would work better for firewood than my 6x12 single. I think I'll either keep looking for a dual axle or ways to beef it up(axle,supports,etc.):dizzy: :cheers:

Howdy ReCutter

I knew I was pushing it on weight. And this just made me go through and do it right.

If you axle and trailer frame is strong enough you can just put stronger springs on it. My trailer has 2.5 inch axle and is good for 5000lb it had 4500lb/pr springs on it. I am beefing the frame and tongue up a little and going to 5800lb/pr springs I got the springs from http://www.etrailer.com/maindept.aspx?nav=Trailer&gclid=CLj9_7DMxaACFYd-5QodP24sbw I got the springs for 26.95 each and was the best price I could find beating Northern Tool by a good bit.

You can also add a axle to your trailer. But sometimes you can trade up cheaper and get one all setup. And over 3500lbs you will want trailer brakes for safety.

Billy

Latest posts

Back