Trailer Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've thought about what I could reallistically do. I don't know if they have kids or not. I've never seen them there, but that means nothing. I've thought about stopping by, but I don't know them or know anyone that does know them. I don't think it would go well, or at least there are too many scenarios of things ending poorly, so I have done nothing. A call to a codes officer or fire company may end up poorly for them also and cost them money they don't have. Generally speaking, people around here don't take too kindly to people butting in where they don't belong. If anyone has any ideas I'd consider them.

Mike,
I have to agree with you don't turn these folks in. Maybe it's just me or the fact that I live in a pretty independent state. My reasons for this are you don't even know their story they could be responsible people but going through hard times. If you simply report them you would be hiding behind someone else's badge. I guess I am just the kind of person that if I had a concern I would either go buy the stuff for them and help them fix it or talk to my church to see if they could help or at least buy them some smoke detectors. Heck if you don't want to talk to them leave the stuff on the porch with a kind letter you don't even have to sign it if you would prefer not to.

Mike,
I have to agree with you don't turn these folks in. Maybe it's just me or the fact that I live in a pretty independent state. My reasons for this are you don't even know their story they could be responsible people but going through hard times. If you simply report them you would be hiding behind someone else's badge. I guess I am just the kind of person that if I had a concern I would either go buy the stuff for them and help them fix it or talk to my church to see if they could help or at least buy them some smoke detectors. Heck if you don't want to talk to them leave the stuff on the porch with a kind letter you don't even have to sign it if you would prefer not to.

This man makes a good point. Rep for the idea.

Mike,

Not a bad idea to provide CO and smoke detector. I think that would be worth checking into.

The are I live in every fall there are all kinds of stories (TV new and newspaper) about how the local fire departments provide smoke detectors for free. I'm talking small rural towns as well as big cities.

Lots of salient advice here, and an overall sad theme. I'll lighten it up just a tad...

I live in a fairly old, redwood framed house. I've told my wife, and anyone who stays here, if it catches fire, you've got maybe fifteen seconds to get out. An overstatement, but I hate to think of my wife trying to herd pets outside. Get out, leave the doors open, and let it burn. Just get out.

A couple months back we had a couple overnight guests, a friend of mine and his girlfriend. Wife and I get up early, let our guests sleep. Wife gets the cookstove going, fries up some bacon, but leaves the door open to the smoke alarm equipped hallway. Smoke is smoke, so the alarm goes off. Before I can get off my usual remark "That thing's not supposed to be a cooking timer!" here comes my buddy and his girl, headed out the door.

I expain that it's all good, just some burned bacon. Buddy says "Well, you said we've got fifteen seconds once the smoke alarm goes off." His girl says "I'm a school teacher, we take alarms seriously."

Just a sort of a drill and light hearted, but it made me happy to realize that my friends would make it out of here alive.

Back