trailer springs on splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcutter69

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Why dont the high end splitters like the timberwolf or built rite splitters use trailer springs. i would think this would help alot on vibration on engine, pump, and tank. Just thinking out loud what is your thoughts.

No kidding! I don't get why they do not put springs on any splitter! If the dang thing is to be towed, it should be towed! My speeco is not suppose to go over 45mph towed. Its a real pain when I have to go somewhere with it. I have to load it into the truck bed.

I'm going to be converting it over so it has its own axle and spring/shock setup. Dang thing will bounce around and darn near jacknife if you are not careful.

I think for small stuff like these, its a very good idea to have a shock dampening system. When you get into the big things like trailers for huge equipment, a shock dampening system is not needed.

Are we loading things down onto a splitter? No! So where the hell is my shock dampening system!

I think it all comes down to it to them just being too darn cheap.

my home made splitter has leaf springs. the axle/hubs/springs/tires came from one of those portable light plants you see at night in road construcion zones. my splitter is borderline too heavy on the beam/log lift side, and really makes the spring flex, but it certainly tows much better

Might be easier to adapt torsion-tube axle halves to a splitter than a full axle and springs. Northern Tool has them.

ry%3D400

Here's a splitter I put together a couple years ago. Used a 2,000 lb. torsion axle. It pulls down the road great. Only thing, I might add is a tall flag on it to be able to back it up better. Can't see it behind the pickup!

My home made splitter has 13" small car tires. It is about 1000 pounds. It would bounce around when the tires were at 32 pounds psi. so I let the air down to about 15 psi. Tires look good after many miles.

don. I love your splitter, would love to see more pics, what part of iowa u from. i am east of shenandoah about 10 miles. i hav decided to go ahead and build my next splitter.

wood spliter towing

Why dont the high end splitters like the timberwolf or built rite splitters use trailer springs. i would think this would help alot on vibration on engine, pump, and tank. Just thinking out loud what is your thoughts.

Its simply an issue of cost as they dont want the issue of DOT proofing the log splitters.

AS long as you are towing these things you should plan on replacing the greased bearings with oil lubed boat trailer bearings as you will be better served and you will not fry the bearings if you forget to pack them......... Thats what I will be doing with mine this year.

With the amount of aggravation required to convert the log splitter, it may be simpler to just build or buy a junk or estate sale boat trailer with water proof boat tire axles, remove the boat rails shorten it up add a wire mesh floor and you can tow it low to the ground. :blob2:

don. I love your splitter, would love to see more pics, what part of iowa u from. i am east of shenandoah about 10 miles. i hav decided to go ahead and build my next splitter.

I'm about 8 miles north of Villisca.

I got most of my materials from Travis Iron over in Corning. Most of the heavy plate steel came from plate ends that I found there. There is a build up thread over on Shop Floor Talk about the splitter.
Log Splitter - Shop Floor Talk

Here is a link on sizing your beam.
http://www.arboristsite.com/1822484-post4.htm

Good luck on your build.

Don

i've used a small torsion beam car axle on this splitter, tows at 60 no problem

Back