training goats

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHEN WE FIRST MOVED TO OUR PROPERTY WE HAD 38 CLEAN UP A SIX ACRE AREA THAT WAS SO THICK THE DOGS HAD HARD TIME GETTIN THROUGH 2 MONTHS LATER PICKED CLEAN 6 FEET HIGH VERY USEFUL TO HAVE AROUND EXCEPT IF YOU HAVE A BUCK THEY GET VERY MUSTY THEY LIKE PISSIN ON THEMSELEVES TO ATTRACT THE LADIES:) :) AND GOATS ARE ALWAYS TRYIN NEW WAYS TO KILL THEMSELVES.
WE RUN GOATS AND HAVE A DONKEY IN WITH THEM FOR PROTECTION FROM DOGS AND COYOTES.
IF YOU NEVER SEEN A DONKEY PUT A WHIPPIN ON A DOG YOUR MISSIN OUT:popcorn:

We have 2 goats to keep the brush eaten down, wouldn't trade them for anything. They both know their names and will answer with a "maah" when called. They eat every leaf or sprout less than 5 feet high or so, makes it much easier to walk through the woods. Smart animals, one of them serves as the "guard" goat while the other one eats. They have absolutely no fear of heights and like to be as high as possible.

When I was a kid I got a baby goat for my birthday. He turned out to be a cool pet. He knew his name and would come to you when you called him. I remember him getting into the house one time and he ran right into the living room and jump right on top of the coffe table. My mom did not think it was so funny. I am not sure how much they can be trained but they are some nice animals.

not trying to be a smartass here but do goats serve a purpose or just a different kind of pet to own?

A lot of people eat goats, especially hispanics and middle easterners. The only other purposes I can think of is for milk and as self powered lawn mowers.

You will never be able to cut enough wood to make a pile high enough for their liking. I think God played a joke on goats and gave them wings instead of legs.

Last edited:
I have a friend who uses goats to mow his yard. He staked them out on leashes so they could graze in a circular pattern. He re-stakes them every day in different locations so as to not create crop circles.

He told me that he is thinking about upgrading his technology by purchasing a wireless radio fence with shock collars normally used for dogs. One drawback is that his yard is rectangular and not the circle formed by the radio transmitter signal. To get full coverage by his four-legged mowers, he would have to put up with complaints from his neighbors about the goats eating whatever they could find in that part of the circle which fell on their property. He would also have to say goodbye to anything edible (by a goat) in his yard - and that may include the siding on his trailer.

You know you are a redneck if goats do your yard maintenance.

macmiss

I just had to post in this thread!

Just a WAG my self, but don't they eat blackberry bushes and silk clothing!?:censored: :confused:

I don't know about the silk clothing but they will kill out anything you don't want and most of what you want to keep. As my name suggests I am a goat herder. I try to be a gardener too but in the end the goats always win. :bang:
I don't have the time to train one to pull a cart or carry a pack but I have seen both and it is pretty cool. Mine are strictly the meat variety. Umm, Umm Good

I've been trying to convince my wife that we NEED goats for years now,to no avail. I can't even convince her to let me get rabbits. In hindsight I should have not mentioned that my intent was to eat the aforementioned animals once they were of sufficient size. If I'd have started off claiming they would be pets I might have had a chance.

Have you all always owned goats? If not how did you convince your better halves on the subject?

I have an animal loving daughter who got two for her 5th b'day. 11 years later they are still here. She still takes care of them but most of her attention has moved on to horses. In retrospect I should have bought her 10 more goats instead of her 1st horse. I would have been thousands of $$$$$ ahead.

laird, just the oppesite here, we went from horses to the 4 pigmys, at least once a week the guy down the road about a mole would have to pring the pony back to me, he must have been fertilizing his lawn with somthing good. but i'm glad there are no more horses here. kevin

Yeah the goats don't need tack, feed, roundpens, riding lessons, shoes, a bale of hay every day ea., or near the vet attention. You don't need to buy special clothing to be with them, nobody sells a thousand different DVD's on how to train them or puts on clinics @ $30 a pop about them. We don't have to buy fly spray, wormer, hoof ointment, glucosimine, special shampoos, and mane detanglers for them. I could have 100 goats and still be money ahead.:censored:

Getting Wife to Love Goats (long)

I've been trying to convince my wife that we NEED goats for years now,to no avail. I can't even convince her to let me get rabbits. In hindsight I should have not mentioned that my intent was to eat the aforementioned animals once they were of sufficient size. If I'd have started off claiming they would be pets I might have had a chance.

Have you all always owned goats? If not how did you convince your better halves on the subject?

I grew up on the farm where we live now. It had a few cattle and a workhorse but never any goats. As I wrote in another thread, my wife is a Florida girl that grew up in St. Pete. Our former neighbors had a few pygmy goats and she stopped to see the newborns and was hooked. She started bugging me that she wanted some goats so I built a little shed, put up some fence, and bought three goats of unknown heritage. My Dad was still living at the time and he could not believe his firstborn son had started to keep goats. I told him his daughter-in-law would soon get very tired of keeping livestock in the winter, and I would use the shed for something else and sell the fence. That was in 2001.:dizzy: I descended from people who did not believe in farm pets so I told her if she was going to keep goats, they would have to pay for themselves and so far they have most years.

My lovely wife has been in the barn (edition #3) the past two weeks, helping the does deliver kids, and loving every minute of it. She even likes the taste of goat but she will not eat ours so I swap live kids for meat even thought they wind up on someone’s table anyway. I took this long-winded approach to say this- if you want to have a few goats, take the wife to someplace that has some young kids, about 3 or 4 weeks old. Have her sit and watch them for a few minutes and the noble title of “Goat Herder” could be yours.

I took this long-winded approach to say this- if you want to have a few goats, take the wife to someplace that has some young kids, about 3 or 4 weeks old. Have her sit and watch them for a few minutes and the noble title of “Goat Herder” could be yours.

I like it. Take advantage of.....Errr.. I mean channel the natural maternal instinct into a means of aquisition. Mwahhahahaha! Did I type that out loud?

i had no idea people ate goats. i guess theres a purpose for everything lol.

Hispanics, Portuguese, Greeks, Italians, Burmese, Arabs, Jamaicans, and more eat goat. Just as beef is to us, goat meat is to to them. It is their staple meat.
More goat milk is produced and consumed worldwide than any other kind of milk. Cow's milk is popular in this country because of marketing pressure created to take advantage of the abundance of flat land and graze we have. Goats can thrive on rocky, hilly land with poor graze. Goats will browse more readily than they graze and cows graze more readily than they browse.
In some places you would be considered rich to be able to own a goat and very rich to have a cow.

Latest posts

Back