Transporting firewood from Wisconsin to Illinois

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchop

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a change of cutting down a couple of big oak trees in Wisconsin. What are the rules of bringing the firewood to Illinois?

i did find this...if it's of any help:

Be aware, if you transport firewood from Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, or lower Michigan, you can be liable for federal fines up to $1,000.00.

http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/firewood/

and, i found this:

The
combined media interest from this new detection and the
Firewood Forum resulted in greater public awareness
about emerald ash borer and the importance of educating
the public to buy firewood locally and not transport it over
distances.
As a result, Illinois has new regulations preventing the
movement of firewood. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota
are in various stages of planning and executing public
outreach on this subject.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...linois+firewood+transport+regulations&spell=1

better to do a check with the conservation dept before crossing state lines. the fines could be extreme.

Last edited:
Ohio has Emerald Ash Borer infecting trees here. It is illegal to transport ash into counties that arent infected yet. I would call somebody in the know to figure out details.

Call and Find out. I know they where talking about passing a law here in NY that you can transport firewood more then 50 miles from where the tree was cut down. I think It might have passed already?

I have never heard of this. So if I have some trees here in PA and want to take the wood to a campsite I have in ....Virginia, there are government rules that prohit this sort of act? That's ridiculus!:dizzy:

i'd just do it.

i doubt anyone will bother you.not sure how far communism is gone up there.i'd say cops around Chicago are too dumb to know anything about firewood hauling laws.

if you get near Madison or Racine,WATCH OUT! the libs are everywhere around those places.

i doubt anyone will bother you.not sure how far communism is gone up there.i'd say cops around Chicago are too dumb to know anything about firewood hauling laws.

if you get near Madison or Racine,WATCH OUT! the libs are everywhere around those places.

You aint kiddin about the libs... I married a girl from mad town... one of her friends is a dripping bleeding lib and hard core who tries to convert us to the dark side of liberalism ie hillary and obama are the greatest things since sliced bread. and thinks because neither one of us went to college thinks we are dumb back-woods hicks who don't have any business voting or should have any opinion what so ever... funny she went to school to be a teacher.. got her degree, tried teaching and couldn't hack it... ( doesn't care about or like kids)..and us we have our own farm growing chickens, ( btw she doesnt like what we do, she is an organic nut) stay at home parents making enough to do so... and I know that just galls her that we seem to do well with out that piece of paper.
sorry i bought up politics I will get off my soap box now:angrysoapbox:

I just went camping a few weeks ago in Daniel Boone National Forest, Kentucky. There was a sign displayed there discouraging people from bringing firewood in from outside the campground and saying that it was illegal to bring firewood in from outside the state.

They also had some studies being conducted on the ash borer.

Danny

You aint kiddin about the libs... I married a girl from mad town... one of her friends is a dripping bleeding lib and hard core who tries to convert us to the dark side of liberalism ie hillary and obama are the greatest things since sliced bread. and thinks because neither one of us went to college thinks we are dumb back-woods hicks who don't have any business voting or should have any opinion what so ever... funny she went to school to be a teacher.. got her degree, tried teaching and couldn't hack it... ( doesn't care about or like kids)..and us we have our own farm growing chickens, ( btw she doesnt like what we do, she is an organic nut) stay at home parents making enough to do so... and I know that just galls her that we seem to do well with out that piece of paper.
sorry i bought up politics I will get off my soap box now:angrysoapbox:

I think maybe you are a dumb backwoods hick.

I have a change of cutting down a couple of big oak trees in Wisconsin. What are the rules of bringing the firewood to Illinois?

Seems like I have read that to carry firewood across statelines it must be kiln dried first to kill any potentially invasive insect larvae. I cant find the refference it was national or just my state.

The EAB made it here from Asia presumabably inside the wood used for shipping cartons that werent kiln dried. Who knows what might be in Wisconsin that you wouldnt want in your woods.

As tempting as it is, the potential exists for bad things to happen. I don't know how far you are talking about moving it. I try to stay within 10 miles to get it and 50 miles to deliver it.

Woodchop, you got to go to the DNR websites for IL and WI to find out what is going on. Now I'm in Monroe Co. MI 15 miles north of the OH line, and one of my sisters is in Lucas Co. OH 3 miles south of the Ohio line, both counties are under a EAB quarantine. Under MI law I cannot move any wood product larger than mulch outside the state . I can move wood to any other county inside of MI under the EAB quarantine and I do regularly stocking up wood for my other sister and my parents in Wayne Co, but I cannot legally bring my sister in Lucus Co. Ohio any wood for her stove no matter what kind it is and she is actually 20 miles closer then my family in MI. Since I'm basically the wood processor for the family, legally she finds a source and I bring my gear down their to process it, or she buying it ready to burn.
Again you need to go find out what IL has to say about importing wood. and does WI have a ban on exporting wood.

Last edited:
Woodchop, you got to go to the DNR websites for IL and WI to find out what is going on. Now I'm in Monroe Co. MI 15 miles north of the OH line, and one of my sisters is in Lucas Co. OH 3 miles south of the Ohio line, both counties are under a EAB quarantine. Under MI law I cannot move any wood product larger than mulch outside the state . I can move wood to any other county inside of MI under the EAB quarantine and I do regularly stocking up wood for my other sister and my parents in Wayne Co, but I cannot legally bring my sister in Lucus Co. Ohio any wood for her stove no matter what kind it is and she is actually 20 miles closer then my family in MI. Since I'm basically the wood processor for the family, legally she finds a source and I bring my gear down their to process it, or she buying it ready to burn.
Again you need to go find out what IL has to say about importing wood. and does WI have a ban on exporting wood.
:agree2:
That sums it up in Ohio. You can transport fom infected county to infected county.

Go to the local USDA office, I went there inquiring some info and got trapped there for a hour, but I did learn alot and also had a bible load of info.

Live in WI

You are noy supposed to transport wood more than 50 miles from where it is cut. If it was me cut and tarp it and bring it home.

Applies to state campgrounds etc.

This is from Wisconsin DNR website (I added bold highlites):

Firewood Facts, Rules & Advice
Firewood can harbor many different kinds of invasive pests and diseases that are harmful to Wisconsin’s trees – both in forest and urban settings. Gypsy moth, oak wilt, and the emerald ash borer are just a few examples of pests and diseases that hitch hike on firewood, making their way easily into previously unaffected, healthy areas. This poses a serious threat to trees throughout the state. To protect our parks and forests from these firewood hitch hikers, the Wisconsin DNR has created a permanent rule, effective December 1, 2006, which prohibits bringing firewood onto any DNR properties from more than 50 miles away or from outside of Wisconsin. This includes campsites in state parks and forests. Additional information is available on the rule, DNR Rule: NR 45.04 (1) (g).

This doesn't answer OP's question about transport to Illinois however.

Al:cheers:

Last edited:
Firewood can be treated

Firewood dealers can sell wood to campsite users, and transport the wood beyond 50 miles anywhere in Wisconsin if they are certified. In order to become certified their wood must be treated. The following is also from the Wisconsin Dept. of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection: (Again - dealers only need to be certified to sell to State parks and Campgrounds - and the 50 mile rule applies only to wood sold for those uses.)

"Firewood Treatment Methods
To prevent the spread of invasive pests, certified firewood dealers must use one or more approved treatment methods including:

Heat treatment to an internal temperature of at least 160° F (71.1° C.) at maintained at the temperature for at least 75 minutes.

All bark and additional wood to a depth of at least ½ inch beneath the bark, is removed from each piece of firewood.

The firewood is stored on the dealer’s premises for at least two years before it is sold or distributed in Wisconsin.

The firewood is fumigated with a registered fumigant pesticide according to the pesticide label, to kill all pests that may inhabit the firewood.

The firewood is treated in a manner approved, in writing, by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection, to kill all pests that may inhabit the firewood. "

Obviously the easiest way is to become certified is to store the wood for two years before distribution . . . There doesn't seem to be regulations in Wisconsin governing the private use of firewood for home heating however. These regulations apply to state conrolled properties such as campgrounds and parks.

Al :cheers:

Last edited:
Back