Treated hardwood for trailer decking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fencerowphil

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been checking into both Creosote and CCA treatment facilities within a hundred miles of me in central Georgia.

Anyone have any thoughts on this:

I have about 6000 bd ft of Sweetgum, some fine to be saved for other uses, but about 2/3 of it could be left at 2X8 16' to 20' long and then treated for trailer decking.

What's your 'pinion? Any feedback on truck trailers and treated hardwood for decks, especially to market as replacement decking for equipment haulers and independent flat trailer haulers?

Phil L.

give it a try

I have seen oak, and psi treated doug fir widely used in my area. I would say since you have lumber, and could treat it youreself give it a try if it didnt work out god you wouldnt be out to much. Treating it youreself, and buying materials to do so would still save you money over buying already treated lumber. In Australia I have read they use gums, for all kinds of building, and structral needs.

Sweetgum is a fairly soft wood...

Oak is really the best, since it is so hard. Sweetgum is fairly light and soft and rots rather quickly. They use a good bit of it for the pallet industry. But, if what you have is free, you might as well give it a try. There are wood preservatives you can easily apply. Penta is one. Creosote is no longer available...the govt took it off the market, (but railroad crossties were exempted). On my equipment trailer, when my oak decking finally got a few soft spots, I replaced it with treated pine 2X12's. Kinda expensive...boards were over 20' long.

Latest posts

Back