Tree Climbing Workshop in Georgia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mahk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
"The Georgia Arborist Association, in partnership with the ISA Southern Chapter & the Georgia Power Company, is proud to present a cutting edge workshop providing information on the latest equipment and techniques for tree worker climbing, safety and production...and hazards encountered in the field."

There will be talks on: Equipment Overview; Installing Climbing Lines; Ascending and Descending; Working in the Canopy; First Aid Procedures; Electrical Hazards Awareness;
and Aerial Rescue.

6 CEU's available for Certified Arborists

When: Saturday, November 16, 2002, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (the Saturday after TCI).

Cost: GAA and ISA members: $45.00; non-members: $55.00 (includes lunch and break refreshments)

Where: Georgia Experiment Station, UGA, Griffin Campus

More information: phone or fax: 770-471-4443
:cool: :cool:

"Cost: GAA and ISA members: $45.00; non-members: $55.00 "

with what climbers make in GA , do you think any of them can afford to attend?

Hey Spike- That's pretty cheap for 6 CEU's and a full day workshop. I'd go if it were closer.

(Even if it WAS posted by a spammer who will never read any threads on this site.) :mad:

Sweet!!! I was hoping that someone would post this. Me and my boss will be there. Can you get and info. off the I-net?? Thanks,BB

tim,
it all depends on what your accustomed to and how you want to live. to live in down town historic savannah you can't touch a decent house for under 600,000.00 i looked at a wreck today for 190.000.00 but it needs about 300,000.00 worth of work. yes you can buy a big place in the in the burbs for 200,000.00. or a wreck for 60,000.00 in a terrible nieghborhood.

but me and my wife want to live in a walking city. if i have to get in a car to go to a store restaurant bar etc. then i could live any where. my mortgage was cheaper in ny than the rent i'm paying here. but it's where i chose to live. yes my car insurance and health insurance is cheaper but a nice meal in a restaurant is the same price as new york. i still don't see a huge difference in the cost of living. my cable bill is the same. the gym i joined is no bargain. the wine i drink is actually more in ga.

i'm not ?????ing about it. we all sleep in the bed we make. but lets cut the crap about a big difference in the cost of living. if tree climbing is such a skill, why do guys give it away down here? it just makes no sense to me.

Originally posted by kf_tree
tim,
it all depends on what your accustomed to and how you want to live. to live in down town historic savannah you can't touch a decent house for under 600,000.00 i looked at a wreck today for 190.000.00 but it needs about 300,000.00 worth of work. yes you can buy a big place in the in the burbs for 200,000.00. or a wreck for 60,000.00 in a terrible nieghborhood.

but me and my wife want to live in a walking city. if i have to get in a car to go to a store restaurant bar etc. then i could live any where. my mortgage was cheaper in ny than the rent i'm paying here. but it's where i chose to live. yes my car insurance and health insurance is cheaper but a nice meal in a restaurant is the same price as new york. i still don't see a huge difference in the cost of living. my cable bill is the same. the gym i joined is no bargain. the wine i drink is actually more in ga.

i'm not ?????ing about it. we all sleep in the bed we make. but lets cut the crap about a big difference in the cost of living. if tree climbing is such a skill, why do guys give it away down here? it just makes no sense to me.

What are they paying in GA for a seasoned climber with gears? Are you going to start your own company there?

Welcome to the South, Spike. I make between $150-$200 per day, but most people won't pay more than $150 per day for a climber.

no way no how would i start my own tree svc again. so far i spoke to 2 climbers from different companies and they made 12 dollars an hour. if i decide to climb again i would travel back up to new york and stay with friends or my mom's. i could make in a week what would take me a month over here.

that could very well be jps i only know of 3 other guys making 3 bills or better a day. most climbers start at 150 to 200 a day. some companies would never consider paying 300 a day for a climber. but they also don't understand what a good climber can put on the ground in a day. i never claimed to be the best out there. i always show up on time,(usually early) i don't dilly dally. i just put my gear on and go, i don't stop for lunch (if i do i eat it going from job to job) i just always manage to get the jobs done. i push the crew along even though its not my job. i take saws home and fix them on my time. etc etc etc. i would pick up work and not try to pocket the money. for big jobs or storm damage stuff i would bring in extra ropes , saws, etc. it was kind of a package deal with me. alot more came along than just a climber.

165;

Flyers were sent to the entire ISA Southern Chapter membership, so there will probably be some folks attending who have quite a distance to travel. Come on up and make a weekend out of it.

Mahk

Most of you will not reconize the new name but I have been around this board several months. MAHK (MARK ) is a well know arborist and friend of mine and has done alot of work with different org and is a real nice guy it really sucks when you bash someone that is just trying to help out fellow climber's by keeping them in touch with a traing course that is designed to promote better treecare and safe work practices. To all of you that will be their hope that you will learn alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
r/c,
I dont think Ken (kf) was bashing. He was just commenting that many southerners make poor wages....

I met Mark at ISA Seattle this summer...great guy..I've also read his published words in the arbo mags..

Mahk (mark with a Boston accent) Adams is definatly a good guy. I've meat him at several conventions. The Southern chapter has some good people in it, I was down to the Tree Structures conferance (was that only last year?)

If it's about softwear or cheap londistance it is SPAM, if about tree learning it is good info. I might move it in a few days if others think is nessesary. That is what the email link to moderators is for.

Anyone know of any other training courses coming up in Georgia? I would like to attend in Jan. or Feb. I know there are some instructors who live around the Atlanta area. :)

Latest posts

Back