tree climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All_knowing

Reaction score
I am a senior in high school and i just recieved my college acceptance letter for stevens point. I am still a little unsure of what exactly i want for a major. I do know i want to do something in the area of forestry. I am always trying to learn all i can about forestry. One thing i especially am interested in is tree climbing. I live in northeastern wisconsin and am wondering is there any tree climbing classes in my area, or at least in wisconsin. What equipment would i need and where could i get it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks

A guy on this board named Nickrosis is heavily involved with the forestry/ arboriculture program at Stevens Point. I'm not too familiar with it, but it sounds like one of the best programs in the country.
http://www.uwsp.edu/stuorg/ssa/

Nick will probably be on later tonight, he's been playing hookey and surfing the web all night lately. Ahh, to be young and be able to function on 2 hours sleep per night!

All knowing and I are in e-mail contact. I just haven't been able to tell him something he doesn't already know. Sounds like someone trying to teach me! Nick's self-exposure day!

UW-Stevens Point has a Forestry major and four distinct areas of emphasis: management, urban, recreation, and adminstration/utilization. The differences are slight - a semester's worth of electives. Other schools are similar. It's a very well known school, and I'm lucky to be a Wisconsin resident in that respect. Biggest natural resources school in the nation. Arguably one of the best.

[soapbox]There's no reason to be jealous, especially since I've been trying intensely to work with other schools and SSA branches around the world. Instead of bringing oneself up by pushing others down, I prefer to bring each other up. In the end, everyone ends up higher than they would have gotten on their own.[/soapbox]

[soapbox2]The increasing focus on the environment in an eco-freak way is beginning to scare me. Actually, when I meet with the Dean, I'm going to use as much of that precious attention to push urban forestry. Why the pressure to focus on the small percentage of land that is wilderness? Why not focus on the rapidly increasing urban sector where jobs are more plentiful and the benefits are more meaningful and quantifiable, in my view. I'll let you know how things turn out, but our climbing class is being threatened while a multi-million dollar temple is being planned so that students will be better aquainted with earth worship.[/soapbox2]

I don't want to play hookey for my arboriculture class in 7 hours, so I better wrap things up quickly. That 5am stuff makes for difficult 8am stuff. :rolleyes: It's taken me this long to realize lectures are more useful with the eyelids stowed in the upright position.

Nickrosis

I thought so too, but it's only for up to one credit, no matter how many climbing classes you take. :( That's the fault of the schools' administrations, not anything Ron Zillmer or Dr. Miller did wrong. Actually, they're responsible for putting it together with Don Roppolo.

Here in Wisconsin, the schools are under a mandate to form cooperations because we have a good chance of losing a UW school next year (probably not UWSP). The budget cuts are hitting hard and any opportunity to pool resources is a tremendous help.

Our industry is experiencing a labor shortage and any hinderances in the education arena will only further the crisis. Let's hope the schools receive the funding to keep business supplied with workers.

Nickrosis

School is good if that's what you want to do. If you want to get good experiance and learn the tree care industry. You might look around for a good Tree Company. One who has an excellent climber. Go to work for a while and just learn the trade and how to climb. You'll learn more about the industry from an excellent climber who is willing to teach. Than any school can teach you. Also you can get paid to learn. Just a thought.

Book learning is very good. Being an arborist is not all climbing and rigging. A structured program for plant health, ID, soil science and other things is something everyone should look into. Even if you only take a fewe night courses a year.

As DTE puts it, well rounded education covering the many aspects.

I never understand the attitudes of some climebers who distane herbaciouse study or even small woody plants. If you can talk to the homeowner about more then the big tree, your more likely to maintain a revolving account.

Find a good company to work for and go to night schoo,work through some kind of intern program. forestry school will only get you a job it will not make you good at it. You need to get your hand dirty and work out in the field. This will also make you appreciate your education more.

JP,I agree with you. I just didn't say anthing about it in my post. Because I thought you guys had already covered it.

Nick, lets wait till the end of TCI to see which school is better for arboriculture. :p
Tom Houston is going out with a bunch of kids who will be in the Student Career Days competitions.
Unfortunately I don't think I can make it this year.

give a quick plug here... www.umass.edu/stockbridge

Yeh Nick,

Watch out for the MSU-Bottineau crew too. We have at least one climber from last years class that will put up a good fight in the climbing end of things. Also a whole load of A students in academics. One of my best batches ever I think.

It ought to be a good competition.

See you there folks.

Bob Underwood

PS. If you are looking for a little extra book learning on the side, check out our online offerings. Drop me a line.

I have a degree in plant biology, having specialized in plant cloning / in vitro propagation. True be it that I can show you how to double the chromosomes in rare orchids, or turn one plant into ten thousand plants in a small lab space, school didn't teach me the core skills I use on a day to day basis in my one-man tree care empire.

I wouldn't trade my education in, even though, ten years removed, I'm still paying back my student loans. If you have a chance to further your education, it is not a bad thing. Plus there's just nothing like college women.

I use very little of my education, but then again, I was not enrolled in a forestry program. Knowing what I know now, that would have been the preferred program of choice. But, I wanted to be a scientist and I guess the point of this story is if you go with your gut feeling and pursue your dream, you'll become a quality tree care professional if that remains your true desire. One point, though; It's probably easier to get your education, then become a tree guy, than to become a tree guy, THEN go after your education. Ya start making good money and you're likely to get involved in this thing called life. College, for the majority, is better done while you're still young. Good luck with the girls, or whatever your preference, but have fun.

Back