Stihl MS 151 or 201, Top or Rear Handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAP525

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am not a professional arborist, so I appreciate the opportunity to ask for recommendations in this forum.

I am looking for a lightweight chainsaw for trimming trees and limbs. No climbing, but occasionally cutting on a ladder. I’ve narrowed my search to the Stihl MS 151 or the 201 . I have a larger Stihl MS 251 ( I think).

In the Stihl MS 151, I’m unsure if I should buy a top handle or rear handle unit. What are the pros and cons and what do you recommend? Thank you!!

I agree so far, if you go with a chainsaw, go with a rear handle. Personally, I really like the MS 171 for the small Stihl saws, really good price range for what you get (looks to be about $400 cheaper than the 151).

Also as noted above, please do not use a chainsaw while on a ladder, you can find many examples on YouTube of people who have tried it and found out why it is a bad idea.

If you do choose the MS 151, let us know what you think of it after using it, I would like to hear the feedback.

Hello All!

I am not a professional arborist, so I appreciate the opportunity to ask for recommendations in this forum.

I am looking for a lightweight chainsaw for trimming trees and limbs. No climbing, but occasionally cutting on a ladder. I’ve narrowed my search to the Stihl MS 151 or the 201 . I have a larger Stihl MS 251 ( I think).

In the Stihl MS 151, I’m unsure if I should buy a top handle or rear handle unit. What are the pros and cons and what do you recommend? Thank you!!
Ok, so as already mentioned, using a saw and ladder is not a good idea, at all.
if you do use a ladder, please tie the ladder in, and use a lanyard and harness to secure yourself, etc etc etc.
but dont use a ladder and a chainsaw, get a good silky hayauchi in 6m extendable pole saw, they are lovely.

but since you asked the question regarding the 201 vs 151.
Being aware that the top handles, whilst convenient and well balanced for use in a tree, and you should always use them with both hands, usual disclaimers etc etc.

the 201 is heavier than the 151, and you will be using either a 10 or 12" bar and 3/8p chain, the 151 will have a 10 or 12" bar and 1/4p chain.
If you are using it one handed, at full reach, the 151 will be easier on your wrists and arm, but we all know you never use a top handle saw one handed.

the 3/8p chain is longer lasting, and as the cutter tooth is longer than the 1/4p chain of the 151, the 3/8p is easier to sharpen, and you get more sharpenings from it, and files are cheaper etc.

i have both, on smaller limbs I use the 151, on larger I use the 201, anything bigger and the 261, or 461 comes out.

Always know where the tip of the bar is, especially when up in a tree, and where all your rigging and climbing lines are as well.

If your going to get a rear handle saw, then get an ms180/181, good entry level basic saw with 16" bar 3/8p chain, I find myself using mine quite often on the smaller stuff, If your not up in a tree, the 151 or 201t are lovely saws, but not worth the $$$ to just cut on the ground, but if your up there, they do shine in that application.

hope that helps, and you are a responsible adult in all you do.

For home use, consider the similar sized but less expensive rear-handled Echo CS 2511P (25cc) and CS 361P (36cc). Or save even more $$ with the Echo CS 3510.

Latest posts

Back