Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, the ag ext. agent called me back - but not before I called the local newspaper.
The ag agent is going to try to get in touch with the inspector and get back to me. I asked him to be sure and let him know I want plant tissue samples taken. He said he would.

The conversation with the hot-shot reporter was interesting.
Trying to explain all this to someone who doesn't even have the slightest clue to what's going on - or what they're up against - is so beyond mind-numbing.
She said she thought it would make a good story and she'll run it by her editor.

Anyone want to wager he decides to squash the story... and instead run a nice piece about Earth Day and how wonderful all the nurserymen and farmers are?

Did you invite the farmer and his son out to evaluate the damage?

Where would the prevailing winds need to be coming from in order to miss your property when he sprays? I think I'd start negotiating with them about future timing and weather conditions.

Just came across this while searching "synthetic auxin." Pretty sure I haven't seen this one before

Synthetic Auxins

This is, I believe, the best article I've read so far on synthetic auxins and their effects on plants. 👍
Short and to the point, explains how the chemical works and the damage it causes.
And describes exactly what is happening to my property.

Synthetic Auxins and Auxin Transport Inhibitors are generally used for controlling broadleaf weeds in grass crops, pastures, and industry. These herbicides include some of the more effective chemicals for perennial broadleaf weed and brush control. These herbicides, also known as plant growth regulators, are readily absorbed through both roots and foliage and translocate by phloem or xylem to meristematic tissue interfering with cell formation that results in abnormal root and shoot growth. The killing action of synthetic auxins is not caused by any single factor but rather by the disruption of several growth processes in susceptible plants. It seems, however, that the primary action of these herbicides is likely to affect cell wall plasticity and nucleic acid metabolism. Synthetic auxins also affect protein synthesis, cell division and growth, and stimulate ethylene evolution, which may in some cases produce the characteristic epinastic symptoms associated with exposure to these herbicides.

The synthetic auxins include the following herbicide families: benzoic acids, phenoxycarboxylic acids, pyridine carboxylic acids, and quinoline carboxylic acids that act similar to that of endogenous plant auxin. Auxin Transport Inhibitors such as diflufenzopyr, however, inhibit the movement of auxinic compounds out of cells. Consequently, when combined with a synthetic auxin herbicide such as dicamba, the dicamba can move into the cells but cannot move back out of the cell, thus maintaining a greater concentration of the auxinic herbicide within the cell. Diflufenzopyr has minor herbicide activity when applied alone but enhances the activity of auxinic herbicides.

Injury Symptoms: Most auxin herbicides cause similar injury symptoms, but symptom intensity and appearance depend on the herbicide, level of exposure, growth stage, crops, and environmental conditions. In general, trees and shrubs are less sensitive than susceptible annual plants. In addition, younger plants are more susceptible to Auxin Inhibitors than mature plants. Symptoms may range from slight, at low exposure, to severe or death from high levels of exposure. Initial symptoms are twisting, leaf curling, and cupping, which may occur within hours of exposure. Leaves that are not fully expanded at the time of exposure may be stunted and distorted. A few days after exposure, general chlorosis may develop at high exposure levels. Leaves will drop and shoot tips may die, followed by stem dieback in trees and vines. Growth may resume depending on the level of exposure. Regrowth is sometimes limited to buds on the lower part of the plants. Regrowth may exhibit severe shoot and petiole twisting, leaf cupping, stunting, curling, strapping, feathering, roughness, crinkling of the leaf surface, vein discoloration, and fingering of the leaf margins. Auxin herbicides may inhibit interveinal tissue growth making veins appear to be joined together and extended to form finger-like projections. In trees, ornamental shrubs, and grapevines, symptoms may continue to appear until the end of the growing season. In grapevines, 2,4-D symptoms from high concentrations may continue to appear in the second year after exposure. Severely injured grapevines may not recover for two years or more. Furthermore, high concentrations of Auxin Inhibitors may cause stem cracking or dark reddish coloring. Stem elongation of plants may be enhanced (at low concentrations) or inhibited (at high concentrations) by growth Auxin Inhibitors.

Injury from high concentrations of Auxin Inhibitors may change fruit size, shape, and appearance or cause abortion of fruits. Slight auxin herbicide symptoms, however, may have no effect on fruit maturity. Exposure to high concentrations of auxin herbicides may also delay fruit ripening when plants are severely affected. For example, delayed maturity from exposure to high 2,4-D concentrations may exist in a grapevine for one to three years before normal ripening returns.

Did you invite the farmer and his son out to evaluate the damage?

Where would the prevailing winds need to be coming from in order to miss your property when he sprays? I think I'd start negotiating with them about future timing and weather conditions.
That is actually a good suggestion I hadn't thought of, altering their spraying schedule, but it would have to be done county-wide and not just one farmer for it to be effective.
The winds come from the ssw.
And I am in the southwest corner of the county:

I'm completely surrounded by crop fields.
You can see on a map all the muddy-brown spots in the fields where all the ponds used to be.
You can see in the satellite image, there is very little non-crop land left, they're even clearing out the green fence rows and wet lands.

No, I'm not going to bother the farmer again until I get the lab results from the inspector.

Just got back from a road trip.
I went to the cemetery, which is directly on the south side of the field that is next to my property.
Damage, similar to what I've seen there the past two years - only now, several of the dogwoods look completely dead and the redleaf maple has something weird going on with the leaves - they are limp and slick-looking.
While I was there, another local farmer happened to pull up and drive through, looking over the field they burned down. I waved at him, but he didn't see me.
I went to his house and finally caught up with him at the local hangout for the older guys that live around here. Sort of a "senior center" meets the Little Rascals club house. :laugh: .
We talked for a while and he said he's planting corn this year and sprayed 24-D LV6. I asked him if it was the ester and he wasn't sure, he did say it was the "cheaper" one. He said he'd call me later and let me know what it is.
They sprayed the field I said earlier was dirt brown, and that is sw of my property. Likely the cause of this years damage.
He was very nice, as always, and so was I. He hates that it's causing damage also.
I drove around a little further and didn't see any other fields as severely burned down as that one... though others are changing color, including the one across the road from me where I heard tractor running past 9PM the other night.

Nothing to do now but wait for the inspector to take samples.
And then what?
Absolutely nothing, it will just be more documentation for me to file away.

I found how to, and did the snip, but where is it and can I edit it before posting>
The map has identifying roads, towns, and businesses, on it.

Let me see if I can find a YT tutorial.

Might be better off just drawing a stick drawing, vs. potentially giving away any kind of personally identifiable info.

Using a Windows 11 computer, this will almost always work. Earlier versions of Windows will work similarly. Don't ask me about an Apple computer or Linux, 'cause I don't know.

Right mouse click in a BLANK AREA of the screen. It won't work right if you try it on a "clickable" item.
Something like this should pop up:

1713378936960.png

Select "take screenshot". You should then get a changed screen that includes some directions like this:
1713379028265.png

Click and drag over an area you wish to have copied. Then you get some options like this:
1713379141291.png

Select copy. At this point, you can paste directly into a thread with ctrl-ins, ctrl-v, or by using paste commands with your mouse.

I found how to, and did the snip, but where is it and can I edit it before posting>
The map has identifying roads, towns, and businesses, on it.

There is almost always a way...

Using google maps, select the "Layers" button. At the very bottom is a check box for displaying labels. Uncheck it, and you will get something like this.

1713380662402.png

Unless I am mistaken, that is your shot anyway, right?

I'm kinda scary sometimes, aren't I?

I've tracked other members down just by a vague description of their property and a section of the state they are from. My only goal is just to have fun with a mental challenge. Once I have a location, I can usually track down billing addresses, full names, legal ownership, etc. The internet is a powerful aid to folks with any tendency to get invasive information about someone.

Moral of the story: if you don't want the curious folks in this world knowing about you, it is best to avoid giving out hints.

I'm kinda scary sometimes, aren't I?

I've tracked other members down just by a vague description of their property and a section of the state they are from. My only goal is just to have fun with a mental challenge. Once I have a location, I can usually track down billing addresses, full names, legal ownership, etc. The internet is a powerful aid to folks with any tendency to get invasive information about someone.
Ditto.
I know where you are, too. :cheers:

But, it would have been a lot easier if you had just clicked on the link in my post.;)

Moral of the story: if you don't want the curious folks in this world knowing about you, it is best to avoid giving out hints.
Frankly, I have nothing to hide. I'm an open book, always have been.
Like it or lump it, take it or leave it.

What is there to be afraid of?
Pfft. Me and mine have been contaminated with pesticides, and continue to be annually.
Is an AS member plotting to kill me? Maybe steal my identity? :ices_rofl:
They'd be wasting their time.

You deleted that link. I remember where it went, though, but I think it was your intention to suppress that information.
I deleted the link, as suggested by someone, but it's still in the email notifications that were sent out from this site.
...and talking about this now, with the images you posted, makes me deleting that link a pointless waste of time.
Don't you think?:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back