Tree fell on friends neighbors fence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiore Indiana

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sorry guys, no pictures it happened right before it got dark at night. Last weekend I went over to help my friend Jim cut down a tree. I brought my 361 and put my 25" bar on it. We tied half inch x 50 foot rope to tree. Jim then ties rope to back of wifes pickup & his wife gets ready. He tells me he does not want to use my bigger saw he says he wants to use his smaller one in case he has to drop it and run. I could not argue with that. Me and his other friend Chris hold the same rope just in case his wife does not go fast enough. When he gets his saw I should have known we were all doomed. He pulls out the Poulman Wildthing. Then he cuts then says go. Then his wife went fast. I see Chris in front of me fell backwards as rope hit his shoulder and he hits his head on cement driveway. I scream and we start yelling. His wife stopped truck because she thought thats what we were yelling about. Tree falls on his neighbors fence and his fence with the neighbor watching. Turns out Chris hit his back then his head so he is ok. As Jim repairs his fence we go over to neighbors and tell them Jim will start repairing their fence tommorow. Then we have a big bonfire and order pizza and play cards all night till 2AM. We only live once I guess we should try to have some fun before we die. Anyway, is anybody else willing to swallow their pride and tell a story, please.

This is why homeowners should leave these types of things to Pro's. If I had a dollar for every injury I have heard of a Homeowner doing their own trees I'd be retired. One poor guy fell out of his tree and was Brain damaged, I think he was trying to save a few bucks, not a good idea. More Homeowners involved=more targets.

Last summer, a friend had just bought a piece of a field behind his house for horse property, I went over to help him cut out some trash cottonwoods. We lost some valuable cutting time because we had to keep stopping to watch his next-door neighbor cutting down another tree. The guy free-climbed up this thing, I did a rotate the thumb estimate he was up over fifty feet, no rope or safety equipment of any kind, standing on a limb, dropping other limbs. He'd walk out on the limb, couple yards away from the trunk stand there and cut limbs above him. Unbelievable. These limbs, and later the trunk sections in sequence as he'd climb down to another limb, etc., were falling down onto his wood deck, way down below. I said to my buddy, he's gonna die or have a deck-rebuild project. Sure enough, about the third giant limb or trunk section, the deck railing was history. The crunching sound the deck made was as loud as the saw, it seemed. Soon, the deck itself was matchsticks. His wife came out and hollered at him, waving her arms like crazy, he kept cutting. It was a nice deck, too. Later, we saw him standing on the ground, staring at the big pile of heavy tree all across the remains of his deck. But he didn't die. He did manage to knock off some of the overhang and gutter to his roof. Don't know how his marriage is doing.

Last edited:
Back