Tree Guys and Cancer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know the title of this thread is definitely different, but I've really had my eyes opened recently to how frequently people of all types have had to have a battle with this terrible thing.

I'm a 20 year old that's been involved with arboriculture since I was 16, I'm a full time climber now. I got a huge reality check 2 months ago because I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma which is a cancer of your lymph nodes. I was healthy as can be, never smoked, chewed tobacco for a year but quit, ate as healthy and organic as I could, and if your in this industry than you're definitley active! Did everything right from a health stance, they told me they have no idea what causes this cancer! Good news, this is 85-95% curable, bad news, still have to go through Chemo and all of its nasty stuff.

Has anyone on here had a fight with anything similar? Did it affect you after doing anything tree work wise or stepping back into the saddle after? I've been off work now and I don't think I'll be good enough until after treatment, but I can't wait until I do. This not working thing isn't what it's cracked up to be, lol.

Appreciate the time guys, looking foward to hearing if you or anyone close went through it too.

A friend of mine when I was a kid got this type of cancer. We were only in 2nd/3rd grade when he got it. He had lumps removed from under his armpit and somewhere else but I can't remember. Went through chemo and lost his hair and all that but now hes 30 and has been cancer free. Good luck man and I'm sure you'll be back up and running soon enough. Cance treatment has come a long way since 1993.

I'm pretty naive when it comes to health issues but I'm pretty sure if your going to have a cancer then ops one is the one to have, best of luck bro. I was told yesterday to make sure to get a prostate exam done when i hit 40, every man should do it.

My brother was diagnosed with cancer young. Did you have any symptoms?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My brother was diagnosed with cancer young. Did you have any symptoms?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey guys! I hope the New Year has brought nothing but great news to all of you! To answer Stgcutter, not really. I was definitely more tired than usual for a couple months, but I attributed that to a million other things other than cancer. I had a lump on my left side, right near my collar bone that progressively got bigger. Turns out, there was a huge tumor pushing on my heart which was making me tired, and the neck lump was sort of the tip of the iceberg.

However, After 5 months of chemo, just received news that I am official cancer free!! My scans have come back completely clear! I have another month of chemo to finish, but I will be done with my treatments February 28th.

From the bottom of my heart, thank all of you guys for the support and prayers, I am so grateful and excited to have another chance to throw on my saddle!

God bless!

Hey guys! I hope the New Year has brought nothing but great news to all of you! To answer Stgcutter, not really. I was definitely more tired than usual for a couple months, but I attributed that to a million other things other than cancer. I had a lump on my left side, right near my collar bone that progressively got bigger. Turns out, there was a huge tumor pushing on my heart which was making me tired, and the neck lump was sort of the tip of the iceberg.

However, After 5 months of chemo, just received news that I am official cancer free!! My scans have come back completely clear! I have another month of chemo to finish, but I will be done with my treatments February 28th.

From the bottom of my heart, thank all of you guys for the support and prayers, I am so grateful and excited to have another chance to throw on my saddle!

God bless!

That is fantastic news. Remember to keep up with the scheduled blood work to make sure its in remission.

Back