Tree ID answer- Tulip/poplar/yellow poplar/tuliptree/popple/aspen/cottonwood/magnolia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This morning I was pouring a driveway for my inlaws, and my buddy Doug was helping, along with another buddy, "little Jimmy" who's about 5'2", eyes of blue, Oh what those five feet could do, and a homeschooled teen. It was quite an undertaking, since thunderstorms kept popping up to rain on us. Nevertheless, we got the cement truck to come out in between storms and got her poured all right, and then another storm hit an hour later.

But that has nothing to do with trees, as some of you may have figured out. For the rest of you, just go with it. It'll be all right. :redface:

Doug and I got into an argument about the difference between "tulip tree" and "tulip poplar" and after he gave me a black eye, I decided I needed a more forceful argument, so I stuck his head in the cement for a minute or two. Jimmy just smoked his cigs and laughed the whole time while the teen just watched - amazed that a discussion about tree species could turn this direction. My father-in-law, who is an engineer, decided to handle things more diplomatically, so he encouraged us (with a shotgun) to break out our smart phones to get the right answer.

I had been saying that the Tulip Poplar trees had these funny sorta square leaves and green wood, and he was saying that they produced these pretty blossoms. Well, it turns out we were both right. In fact, in our research, we found out a lot of interesting things, and I recall hearing some of you talk about 'popple' and the other things listed in the thread title with a degree of interchangeability.

So, here is the authoritative answer to the question of all that.

Let's start big and work our way down. The only thing I remember from my public-school science classes is the list (in order) of the classification system for plants and animals. Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. (That's it - 4 years of science and that's all I remember. Sorry about that.)

Let's start with Order
Magnoliales: a flowering plants that has six “families”, one of which is Magnoliaceae.

--Magnoliaceae family has two subfamilies: Magnolioideae and Liriodendroidae.

----Magnolioideae contains the Magnolia genus along with over 200 other genus.
----Liriodendroidae has only 1 genus: Liriodendron, the Tulip Tree.

-------Liriodendron has only two species. Liriodendron tulipfera is native to eastern US, and another species native to China and Vietnam.

---------Tulipfera is the Tulip poplar (also, Tulip Tree, Tuliptree, Yellow Poplar, Poplar)

attachment.php

Now, Poplars come from the genus Populus, which is in a completely different order (two classifications up) from Magnoliales, so they are not at all related to what is often called Poplar, but is really Tulip Poplar. In fact, the lumber you buy at the store called "poplar" is really Tulip Poplar.
Populus contains over 25 species, including Poplar, Aspen, and Cottonwood. Popple and Poplar are sometimes used to describe these trees.

attachment.php

Black Poplars are those tall, skinny, fast-growing trees that always seem to die off pretty quickly, but are still used a lot anyway in rows between subdivisions and roads.
attachment.php

Aspen and Cottonwood are quite different, and it's a wonder to me that they are even in the same Genus.

It's also surprising to me that Magnolia and Tulip Poplar are in the same Family as well, but I wasn't asked during the classification process.
The Magnolia Grandiflora are the ones with the really waxy leaves which don't drop in the winter, and have a big colorful blossom in the spring.

attachment.php

So there you have it. Doug and I did decided to make up, and we thought that leaving his faceprint in the driveway would be a good testament as to how two mature adults can come to a reasonable and non-violent conclusion when discussing things of a controversial nature.:msp_rolleyes:

View attachment 236934View attachment 236935View attachment 236936View attachment 236937

Last edited:
Doug and I got into an argument about the difference between "tulip tree" and "tulip poplar" and after he gave me a black eye, I decided I needed a more forceful argument, so I stuck his head in the cement for a minute or two..... My father-in-law, who is an engineer, decided to handle things more diplomatically, so he encouraged us (with a shotgun) to break out our smart phones to get the right answer.

Soooo..... after all that, how's the eye ?

We have the 2 kinds of poplar up here, Aspen poplar is more popular (no pun) and there's another species of poplar here as well. A friend who is a forestry worker explained to me that the easiest difference to identify them is in the color of the bark, if I'm not mistaken the Aspen Poplar has the lighter-colored bark, and grows taller and straighter than the other species that's common, which has lots of big branches and a darker bark tone.

Maybe you can shed some light on the situation, you apparently know more about it than me.... In Northern Ontario, on the Trans-Canada Highway near Cochrane, Ont....

Soooo..... after all that, how's the eye ?

We have the 2 kinds of poplar up here, Aspen poplar is more popular (no pun) and there's another species of poplar here as well. A friend who is a forestry worker explained to me that the easiest difference to identify them is in the color of the bark, if I'm not mistaken the Aspen Poplar has the lighter-colored bark, and grows taller and straighter than the other species that's common, which has lots of big branches and a darker bark tone.

Maybe you can shed some light on the situation, you apparently know more about it than me.... In Northern Ontario, on the Trans-Canada Highway near Cochrane, Ont....

Certainly. I'd be glad to. Heck, this Masters degree I've got needs to be put to use.
Ask me your questions, and I shall bestow upon you on everything you need to know.

Oh wait - my degrees are in music. :msp_unsure::msp_rolleyes:

I did take a Botany class in college, though. Got a D+.....

Certainly. I'd be glad to. Heck, this Masters degree I've got needs to be put to use.
Ask me your questions, and I shall bestow upon you on everything you need to know.

Oh wait - my degrees are in music. :msp_unsure::msp_rolleyes:

I did take a Botany class in college, though. Got a D+.....

It's about damn time you and Doug came to an agreement... All that aside, the magnolia trees are in awesome stage around here right now... When I lived in Michigan, we had "Popple" trees... Folks in Colorado have Aspen trees... One thing they have in common??? Low BTU's...
Hahahahahahahaha!!! I love your posts stache...:rock:

ff2xqx.jpg
tulp tree around here are big this is a small one we have them over 200' tall not to bad for long island:chainsaw:

Thanx for the science lesson. Sounds like you retained WAY more about Botany than I did from school.:msp_wink: But... no matter what it is scientifically, or what the local slang is, it's all pretty crappy firewood (from what I've read). Around here, Tulip Poplar (locally known as "Poplar") is common. I don't think you could sell it here delivered & stacked (dry/ seasoned) for $100 a cord.

One last thought... Beat on people who try to steal your firewood, not those who disagree on Nomenclature of the wood. :)

Most everybody in the deep South certainly knows the difference in a Magnolia and Tulip poplar. We have them both on my place. My house is made from poplar logs, but these came from north central Tennessee. They both do have pretty flowers. But the Magnolia's are so much larger and almost look eatable. :msp_smile: I've never burned either one in the fireplace. I never even cut a magnolia down.

Poplars get pretty big pretty quick around here, but they are not very easy to split by hand and cure out like box elder so the time for btu investment isn't worth it unless a tree service drops it off in the driveway. (I'll burn anything they drop off) Instead of logs (great idea) I used poplar for siding on a house and it turned out awesome. It was kinda cool that it was milled from locally cut timber.

I thought all magnolia was for aesthetic purposes only (unless the tree service drops it off in the driveway) :msp_biggrin:

I could be mistaken, no tree expert here. ;)

Tulip poplar comes by the name rightly. In winter, from a distance, the mature tree closely resembles a tulip in bloom. It's hard to tell in summer when the leaves are out.

They grow fast. I've got one behind the garage that's over 15'. It wasn't there 5 years ago.

What you term black poplar, I seem to recall as Lombardi poplar. Again, I could be wrong. These things were very popular as landscaping trees back in the 1950s and '60s. They were everywhere when I was a kid growing up. They soon fell out of favor because they simply don't live very long. Homeowners who'd planted rows of 'em had tall, dead trees in their yards 20 years later.

There are lots of different kinds of poplar. I don't know how many are those tall straight ones, but they do die off quickly.

As for my knowledge, all the stuff I posted I learned that same day by looking around online (not entirely trusting Wikipedia). All I remember from my Botany class was talking about cell structure. Man I hated that one! A 100 level class should not be talking about cell structure. But then again, maybe that teacher wanted to limit the number of botanists in the world. He sure turned off a lot of us!

If I remember correctly, our High school had the only greenhouse/ horticulture program in the county. On second thought, that can't be right... I recall some of my "in-town" classmates making fun of another school's FFA students. Anyway, our horticulture teacher could have put us to sleep if she was teaching us how to make fake IDs:wink2:

Most everybody in the deep South certainly knows the difference in a Magnolia and Tulip poplar. We have them both on my place. My house is made from poplar logs, but these came from north central Tennessee. They both do have pretty flowers. But the Magnolia's are so much larger and almost look eatable. :msp_smile: I've never burned either one in the fireplace. I never even cut a magnolia down.

Tulip poplar is dang good to mix in with your oaks and other hardwoods. I use it a lot shoulder seasons and morning wood, same with pine. It's decent wood really. Real wet when cut, freekin heavy, hard to split green, you get that "rubber wood" effect, but the rounds dry quickly (I've cut in the morning on a hot day and by afternoon they are starting to check) then they become real easy to split, and the splits dry within a week or something, fast, like that. I cut em and stack em. I think of tulip poplar as "ash lite".

Old half rotten tulip poplar logs have the dang best big fat juicy wood grubs for fishing.

Regular magnolia..never cut nor burnt a stick. I am like you, I would need a real dang good reason to cut one down, they are just too beautiful.

tulp tree around here are big this is a small one we have them over 200' tall not to bad for long island:chainsaw:

You have some nice ones. Appears Long Island has an excellent climate for trees, you get that direct hit from the gulf stream,. must help moderate temps and keep things moist all the time.

I'd love to come and work with you sometime on one of your big projects, but thats a longggggggg trip for me....I've only been out of the county once in the past year, whoops twice, both times looking at used trucks.

I wasn't going to jump on that one, but since you did, I have some that have to be 32 - 36 at the base and those ain't but around 90 ft. Imagine how large the base would be to be 200 feet tall. They would look like redwoods Mack cuts. :msp_mellow:

Nice! We have two 100'ers to do next weekend. Me and my buddy are part-time tree surgeons, we'll try to post pics if I get a chance to take any!

Back