Tree ID - Tulip Tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw18x

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Western NY...this came from a very tall, 3ft diameter tree that fell in our recent windstorm. I thought it might be a Tulip tree, homeowner confirmed that it was a tall straight tree with a canopy at the very top. I don't have much experience processing Tulip trees, but whatever it is, it seems to be a softwood and is relatively light. No scent that I can pick up from the wood. What really throws me off is the distinctive orange hue of the wood. Any help with this would be much appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 100_6110.JPG
    100_6110.JPG
    971.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_6111.JPG
    100_6111.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 81
  • 100_6114.JPG
    100_6114.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
Just split it, splits easy, creamy white straight grain, sorry no pics yet.
Would true poplar grow as tall and big in diameter? I thought poplar was a relatively slender tree, these were massive.
I realize tulip poplar is marginal for firewood but I am buying a new cat stove and plan on burning some softwood anyways. How would poplar compare to tulip tree for firewood? Less dense, lower btu?
Thanks, definitely not mulberry though. Funny how the cut surface was so orange but wood is definitely white.

Based on the wood being creamy white, I'll go with tulip poplar. Straight trunk make sense too. And yes, we have three foot tulip poplars in my area...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The original, first cut poplars on the were up to 10' in diameter and very rot resistant. A lot of the 18th century barns were constructed out of them and still stand today. Discovered that when researching timber framing.

when you saw into it, does it have a lemony smell ??? if it does , it's more than likely a tulip poplar... and they do get tall...150 footers aren't uncommon around here...

My wood lot is full of very large tulip poplars. Many are over 150' tall, and quite a few are over 3' diameter. They seem to be taking over in place of the big Red and White Oaks that originally grew here. Some time around the late 1800's they cut most of the big Oak here and processed it on large charcoal hearths then hauled it to iron forges in the area. That let some Beech and Poplar along with Oaks to grow over the woods for over a hundred years. Now the Oak are gradually dying off and it appears Birch, Poplar, and Beech are going to be the dominant specie in another 50 years.

The first bench I built was a Tulip Poplar that fell across my in-laws back yard. It had been dead for several years and was starting to spalt. Mostly yellow with green streaks and some bright red in it. I love the color in it, it gets light when it dries, and is easy to work with. In this pic it was getting old and had grayed out. I knocked it apart and sanded it down and got some of the yellow back. It was really pretty when I first built it, Joe.

Latest posts

Back