Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes you think that, shaggy bark? I trust you guys way more than me, I've just seen a lot of silver maple and white oak with shaggy bark around here, it does look like there might be some hickory leaves up in the corner of that pic.

My brother has been harassing me forever to get him some for smoking, he already jacked all my apple and gonna try some cherry and pear here soon.

I agree Hedgerow, I have seen plenty of hickory around here, but never been able to get one, let alone a shagbark. There are a ton of nice hickory's behind where I work, but they are either mockernut or pignut, havent really looked that close. They grow a lot slower than oaks from what I have seen, the diam. on even tall one is usually much less. I dunno how much I wanna burn or smoke, does anyone know the best way to process wood for smoking?

I agree Hedgerow, I have seen plenty of hickory around here, but never been able to get one, let alone a shagbark. There are a ton of nice hickory's behind where I work, but they are either mockernut or pignut, havent really looked that close. They grow a lot slower than oaks from what I have seen, the diam. on even tall one is usually much less. I dunno how much I wanna burn or smoke, does anyone know the best way to process wood for smoking?

Shorter smaller pieces for smoking.

I would love to score me some hedge, my top three others I'd love to find are black birch, black locust, and beech.

According to tree id book beech grows in my area, haven't seen it yet, apparently up north and in europe it will make whole forests or subsections of forest.

According to tree id book beech grows in my area, haven't seen it yet, apparently up north and in europe it will make whole forests or subsections of forest.

Beech trees are awesome!!! I know there's better firewood trees, but I remember 2 beech trees on my grandfather's place, that were like condominiums in the air for a bow hunter... They were there and large when my grandfather was a kid... He was born in 1919... I'm kind of a tree geek...:msp_rolleyes:

Beech trees are awesome!!! I know there's better firewood trees, but I remember 2 beech trees on my grandfather's place, that were like condominiums in the air for a bow hunter... They were there and large when my grandfather was a kid... He was born in 1919... I'm kind of a tree geek...:msp_rolleyes:

I know what you mean... there was one in the woods next to my parents' place that had to be 5 or 6' DBH. I used to look @ it as a kid & wonder how old it was. The woods was logged several years ago & of course they took it. Still rubs me wrong every time I think of it.

So I got most of the hickory today, it seemed rather dry even being down only a week or so, must have something to do with not getting rain for a month in this heat. Just for future reference, that pic of the live tree I put up was actually a white oak.

So I got most of the hickory today, it seemed rather dry even being down only a week or so, must have something to do with not getting rain for a month in this heat. Just for future reference, that pic of the live tree I put up was actually a white oak.

What live tree??? All I saw was cut up chunks... :msp_rolleyes:

The 2nd pic I posted, unless you are joking ( I'm not good with those faces) in which case yeah I wouldn't mind cutting that tree up either, pretty huge white oak.

Back