Tree inventory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was contacted today by the Park and Rec Director of the city north of me. They are interested in, amongst other things, having me do a tree inventory for them. They have GIS system at the city.

I have read about GPS for inventories, but have never used this. I would like to know who has, what is the best system for a small community (43 miles of streets, 8 parks).

Thank you.

Oh how I wish my brain could comprehend technology!

Gopher:confused: :eek:

GOD BLESS LES WERNER!

Les has your answer prepared. He's filling in for Dr. Miller's position and is fast becoming one of our best lecturers. People don't skip when it's Les's class!

Check out his Powerpoint lecture for Amenity Forestry, FOR 326.
If you have Powerpoint 2000 or higher (152KB)
http://students.uwsp.edu/ncraw045/Lecture6.ppt
If you do not have Powerpoint (349 KB)
http://students.uwsp.edu/ncraw045/Lecture6.pps

Our school has ArcView, a GIS program, on every computer. Our GIS program is gaining prestige every year and has a restrictive acceptance program because hardly anyone is qualified to teach the classes since it is so new.

Slide 10 should answer a lot of questions for you.

Nickrosis

A short asnwer is GPS is the satilite triangulation positionaing system. GIS uses the information to plot maps and landscapes. You can layer your data so you can insert the digitized aerial photo, current maps, address info, sewer and other utility data....and in some work in 3 dimentions, getting into topography, or levels of obstruction. Say a 32 inch water main below and 3 phase 30 feet above.

Yes, now it is my technology driven wife's turn to request some new toys! We have been discussing additional needs with regards to our computer, and she's probably right (no, IS right!)

I would like to get this information, Nick, but don't currently have the power point capability.

I'll talk to you later about Les's information.

Thank you for the basic overview, JPS. I basically understand the big picture, but don't quite understand how it is all pieced together, or how the data collection is done and entered. I am asking these questions now, so I can be prepared when I receive the call to assist with their inventory come this winter when the budget will be finalized.

Gopher

I've sat in some seminars discussing this, some data is entered by walking around with a GPS backpack system.

The map data and utility routes can be imported if the databases are compatable.

Some can have the data enterd by infering tree location in aerial photos, some get entered by asigning a logation from street address.

One speaker said you can go into too much detail with thses things. if you have a tree infront of 1934 W. Beecher that can be it's designation, if there are 2 then 1934A,B or .1 and .2. if you place it on a map and are a few yards off, it is not a big deal fom an inventory perspective.
There will probably be more people with experiance with these programs at the KnotHole.

http://tree-tech.com/board/?topic=topic11

Now the data collection is smaller than a backpack. The standard is to use a Palm with the GPS unit attached (smaller than your regular Altoids tin). When you get back, the coordinates are loaded into the GIS system in a tabular format. The trees, species, photo (optional), condition, location class, etc. is all linked to that with a simple click.

That works for park trees, but city trees should use the street address primarily and GPS coordinates as an option. Who wants to be sent out to N 44° 31.626 W 089° 19.802 (WGS84)
UTM: 16T E 314852 N 4933060? I would personally prefer 323 E. Jackson St., wouldn't you?

Nickrosis

GPS/GIS

Nick you need to have both to get the terra server (street and coordinants) to work better (faster) for the arial views IMHO. Some of the best topo pics are the national weather service pics after floods. PC mag had an article on how to increase the accuracy of you GPS last year or the year before. The new arial stuff was supposed to be done April 4, 2002. I would suggest you map the underground pipelines with the trees, ever drop a tree on a gasline and have a fire? :eek:

True. You can inlay the street addresses into the GPS program once you have the streets laid out on a layer. Utilities are one of the most common things to map out.

I was thinking you could have a mini spy helicopter download all of the GIS info about a city and have it fly around photographing the trees at a one year interval or something. The above ground utilities would indicate a need to fly at a higher altitude and when it crosses a road it would need to clear the height and drafts of semis.

Nickrosis

inventory trees

Infared will pick up pipelines if they are not too deep. The trees at different times from helicopter. The trees are different colours at different times of the year,with a little practice you can tell what kind of tree they are from the aerial pics. One of our local municipalities is trying to do that this year, map pipelines and trees. I use TerraServer to map out hikes before we start. I believe Landsat passes over twice a day now. Layer these pics and stream them together to see day to day activities. I was amazed to see an aerial of one of my buddie's farm with his wife out at the mailbox and he and I in the truck going down the driveway on a terraserver pic.

If I turn into "Space-cadet" in a couple of months and misplace this conversation, remind me when I ask for your expertise again on this inventory topic.

Hopefully I will get the chance to run it for the city, and then I'll have to have my game face on and need the technical support everyone has been offering.

Thanks everyone for keeping me on my toes and believing.

Gopher

Latest posts

Back