Tree Job, what are your thoughts...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxfior

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm always up for getting more wood. My father and I heat our homes with it and we like cutting anyway... Guy I found has 3 trees, 2 small ones (easy) and one VERY large tree that need dropped. He emailed me these pictures which I'll show you guys, he said that the large tree is close to some electric lines, which the township would turn off and disconnect when we would be there to take down the tree. I have NOT been there my self yet and I'd like to take more detailed pictures and bring my walking stick to see exactly how much room I have to drop this sucker. It looks over 75FT I think... What are your thoughts guys?
---
6.jpg

This is the little tree...
---
5.jpg

Another small one to drop... Oh, btw, I'd love to know what you guys think these trees are and if they are even worth burning in my stove...
---
1.jpg

Big dog...
---
2.jpg

...another angle....
---
3.jpg

...another angle....
---
4.jpg

...last pic he sent me...
---
Ideas guys? Thanks again!

Max

Get some ropes have a few helpers pull on tree when you backcut and wedge get some of those upper branches off have a truck handy if need to pull tree down have a spake chain or two and files to sharpen

My thoughts, thats about 1K worth or tree work that he's suckering you into doing for probably free. The two smaller ones, i'd say have at it. The Larger one (maple?) being that close to the lines i wouldn't atempt unless you have insurance and can climb. That's a semi-risky job and a lot of work for some fire-wood, but thats just my thoughts. Be careful

My thoughts, thats about 1K worth or tree work that he's suckering you into doing for probably free. The two smaller ones, i'd say have at it. The Larger one (maple?) being that close to the lines i wouldn't atempt unless you have insurance and can climb. That's a semi-risky job and a lot of work for some fire-wood, but thats just my thoughts. Be careful

He's right be careful eTch out get a price and stick to it. If he gives yougrief back out. Have to watch out for craigslist postings. Have had a few bad ones myself. Best. Ontacts are people you meet at work a hook gym etc and through friends

Hard to tell for sure, looks lie the first is a Pinn Oak or a Maple, the second is a Maple and the "big dog" looks like an Elm.
If it's a Craigslist thing just walk.
The "big dog" can be felled (from what I see in the pictures) in one whack and go away from the lines. BUT what else is in the DZ? What if it doesn't go that way? What if you just flat screw the pooch?
If it is Elm, it's not worth the time and effort to mess with. Drive around, look at feilds and get to know some farmers. If you want wood that bad many farmers will PAY you to do fence row clearing and you can get some NICE wood for the effort!! (Hedge, Hackberry, Oak, etc.) and you DO NOT have to worry abut electric lines, houses and idiots!!!
I will again, just say walk, there are better, and easier finds out there than that mess!

Well, if you would take that down for just the wood I think that would be just plain ...

Really.

Now unless you wow us by whipping out some fine looking pics of what you are working with so we can see if you even have a prayer of living through it. Hey it might not be you that bites it, maybe you just walk away with minimal regret.

I hope you don't cheese us with a bad saw. Maybe you can make me eat my hat?

Oh by the way: welcome to the site blah, blah blah:)

One question.

How's your relationship with your insurance company?

Ya might wanna call them and ask about your liability in such an endeavor.

I don't doubt ya can take them down safely with 99.9% odds.
It's that .01% only Murphy controls, that gets ya though.;)

Best of luck!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah, this is what I needed to hear... I'm just going to mess with the small trees, there is some okay wood there... I'll leave the big one for the pros. If he get a pro outfit to drop the tree I'll be more then happy to cut it up once it's safely on the ground... Thank you TDunk! (as well as others for providing me with some insight).

Max

Hard to tell for sure, looks lie the first is a Pinn Oak or a Maple, the second is a Maple and the "big dog" looks like an Elm.
If it's a Craigslist thing just walk.
The "big dog" can be felled (from what I see in the pictures) in one whack and go away from the lines. BUT what else is in the DZ? What if it doesn't go that way? What if you just flat screw the pooch?
If it is Elm, it's not worth the time and effort to mess with. Drive around, look at feilds and get to know some farmers. If you want wood that bad many farmers will PAY you to do fence row clearing and you can get some NICE wood for the effort!! (Hedge, Hackberry, Oak, etc.) and you DO NOT have to worry abut electric lines, houses and idiots!!!
I will again, just say walk, there are better, and easier finds out there than that mess!

GREAT advice! Thanks alot man!!! I have some farmers on line that I do some trim work for... It's too late now to do anything, but next winter I'll be ready that's for sure!

Max

Well, if you would take that down for just the wood I think that would be just plain ...

Really.

Now unless you wow us by whipping out some fine looking pics of what you are working with so we can see if you even have a prayer of living through it. Hey it might not be you that bites it, maybe you just walk away with minimal regret.

I hope you don't cheese us with a bad saw. Maybe you can make me eat my hat?

Oh by the way: welcome to the site blah, blah blah:)

Thanks for the welcome, great site here, great peeps as well... Yeah, don't feel like dying, this job will be a walker for me... Too much to worry about and I don't think it's worth all the bad things that could come out of this one... Yikes...

M.

One question.

How's your relationship with your insurance company?

Ya might wanna call them and ask about your liability in such an endeavor.

I don't doubt ya can take them down safely with 99.9% odds.
It's that .01% only Murphy controls, that gets ya though.;)

Best of luck!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah, that .01% would have the tree roll weird and crash right through the neighbors house or something... Not worth it... Too big, this guy is going to have to let the pros handle this bad boy... Now, don't get me wrong, if this was in a farmers field, I'd try it... But in city limits, this big... Yikes...

Max

Thanks for the welcome, great site here, great peeps as well... Yeah, don't feel like dying, this job will be a walker for me... Too much to worry about and I don't think it's worth all the bad things that could come out of this one... Yikes...

M.

VERY glad to hear that!!

Glad I could help.

Yeah, this is what I needed to hear... I'm just going to mess with the small trees, there is some okay wood there... I'll leave the big one for the pros. If he get a pro outfit to drop the tree I'll be more then happy to cut it up once it's safely on the ground... Thank you TDunk! (as well as others for providing me with some insight).

Max

I just don't really want to see you in the "fatalities" forum. I've seen stuff like that posted on craigslist before. FREE FIREWOOD, YOU CUT IT DOWN AND THE WOODS YOURS. But they don't tell you that it's over hanging the house, next to power lines and you have to carry it 100 yards cuz they don't want tire tracks in there yards, oh and don't leave any divots in the yard either. I won't rant on that subject but i'm glad to hear that your going to leave the bigger one alone, for now. Good luck Max

Max
There ya go! Tell him to get professionals to bring it down and leave the wood. It'll save him alot. Then you can do your thing.

But really if you live anywhere close to town or the city. You can call local tree guys and tell them to bring you wood they don't want and OH BOY will they. Make sure to get a number so when you have enough you can stop them or it will just keep coming.

I welcome them calls.

Last edited:
I just don't really want to see you in the "fatalities" forum. I've seen stuff like that posted on craigslist before. FREE FIREWOOD, YOU CUT IT DOWN AND THE WOODS YOURS. But they don't tell you that it's over hanging the house, next to power lines and you have to carry it 100 yards cuz they don't want tire tracks in there yards, oh and don't leave any divots in the yard either. I won't rant on that subject but i'm glad to hear that your going to leave the bigger one alone, for now. Good luck Max

Yeah, there are quite a lot of CL ads that talk about removing wood... I think most people listing them have no idea of the dangers and execution involved to dropping a large tree. They probably think, "doh, free wood, come get it!" So yeah, I'll mention to this guy that if a pro tree service drops the tree, I'll be there to cut it up and take it, which will ultimately save him a few bones... But yes, I'm not risking my neck for this one, thanks!

Max

There ya go! Tell him to get professionals to bring it down and leave the wood. It'll save him alot. Then you can do your thing.

But really if you live anywhere close to town or the city. You can call local tree guys and tell them to bring you wood they don't want and OH BOY will they. Make sure to get a number so when you have enough you can stop them or it will just keep coming.

I welcome them calls.

Good idea about calling the local dudes. I did this and a few took my name and number and a few others pretty much were jerks too me... Weird... I also called our city to find out what their tree work was looking look and I guess the are taking down a lot of Ash trees this spring and summer (100-400) and I was more then welcome to contact them about 'em, so that was pretty cool. There is wood out there, it's just trying to find the decent stuff that you can get to easy and not kill your self. I found a guy the other day that had a pretty large oak dropped by the pros and he was trying to sell the wood... After 3 months of it sitting on his front yard he was glad that I took it off his hands... I even gave him $15 bucks for helpping me load it :D I filled my F350 2 times and I still have to go back for the main part of the tree...
---
100_3671.JPG

Man, it was WAY more then I thought... :)

Max

Good idea about calling the local dudes. I did this and a few took my name and number and a few others pretty much were jerks too me... Weird... I also called our city to find out what their tree work was looking look and I guess the are taking down a lot of Ash trees this spring and summer (100-400) and I was more then welcome to contact them about 'em, so that was pretty cool. There is wood out there, it's just trying to find the decent stuff that you can get to easy and not kill your self. I found a guy the other day that had a pretty large oak dropped by the pros and he was trying to sell the wood... After 3 months of it sitting on his front yard he was glad that I took it off his hands... I even gave him $15 bucks for helpping me load it :D I filled my F350 2 times and I still have to go back for the main part of the tree...
---
100_3671.JPG

Man, it was WAY more then I thought... :)

Max
Yeah see if that's alot of work imagine what them big trees would be like.
Guys did a good job cleaning all the other mess up and not blowing up his yard too.

Yep that's how we roll. :agree2:

Yeah see if that's alot of work imagine what them big trees would be like.
Guys did a good job cleaning all the other mess up and not blowing up his yard too.

Yep that's how we roll. :agree2:

Yeah, they did do a nice job... It was in Jan. so the ground was good and hard, plus they had a powerful chipper... There was a lot of good wood there... Some of the rounds were so big that I needed to bring my tractor to lift 'em... I'll have to post some pics later on... Time to service the saws. Ole Dolmar 7900 got a nice work out, that's fo-sho! :D

Max

Don't give up on calling the tree guys. You will eventually hook up with one that will be more than happy to load your wagon.

I just gave around 6 cords of Pin Oak away to a member of this site. Came out of three large removals I did last week. I don't subscribe to the notion that Joe firewood cannot cut at a professional level. I do believe that anything like you have pictured should be done by an insured pro. Why would you want to take the risk? Let an insured pro handle it in the event anything does go wrong. The guy I gave the firewood to last week is not an inept cutter. Hell, he has better gear than me in many regards and could fire up his own tree service if he wanted. He is just smart enough to have figured out how to make a living without breaking his back. He is safe, is an excellent saw hand and a decent feller. This is the second time I have loaded his wagon. First time we did it the easy way with a crane. This time I had my guys load him up. He even helped with the job. His saws and help were invaluable on the job and I even paid him for his expenses. He saved me a lot of time and money. If you lived closer I would hook you up as well.

Last edited:
Back