Tree log value?please help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herc505

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am up in sullivan county New York and was wondering if anyone had any experience with cut log values or any experience with that sort ofthing. Had a logger come in to look at my property. He offered me 5k, for 5 truck load or 156 trees he marked for cutting. Primarily red oaks some maple, I understand that the prices depend on quality of the trees, In NYS Stumpage price report the median price for red oaks was $360 for median average tree, and i have some beauties in the property. I also understand other factors come into play as in transportation(the logger is 10 minutes from my property). Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

im from central pa that price seems a little bit low to me

4-5 years ago, my brother got $100 per tree for cherry and red maple. these were just average trees, nothing huge by any means. this was in norteast ohio.

You're misunderstanding that stumpage price guide.

That would be $360 per thousand board feet, as an average.

A tri-axle log truck can carry 3500 board feet of red oak and be right at legal road weight.

3.5 x 360 = $1,260.

If there's some maple in there, $1000 per load is actually a pretty fair price, unless the wood is simply spectacular and all top top grade veneer.

I recently had 2 loads of red oak given to me, and I recieved $1200 for the first one which had only 2800 feet, and $1900 for the second @ 3600 feet one because it was a little better grade. I paid $200 per load for trucking.

Get a contract signed and dated, and witnessed if possible. Get everything in there, brush lopped, firewood brought out for you, no trash, landing pushed off, every single thing.
But IMO, he sounds like he's being pretty fair with you. He isn't going to get rich, nor will you.

How big are these trees? With 156 trees making 5 truckloads thats only about 112 bf/tree. Not many trees worth cutting that are smaller than at least 200 bf/tree. Am I missing something?

Rule #1-- get more quotes. At least two more, and let 'em know that your logging will be a competitive bid. I worked with a local woodland owner here in Missouri with a walnut sale. His initial offer was around $15,000, and he was all anxious to take it. By the time we were done, the bidding was over $50,000. Quality is subjective and prices are volatile. Let us know how it works out!

Is the Maple hard maple or soft? meaning Sugar or Red . I've sold hard maple veneer for as much as $3,500.00 per 1000 board feet int scale.

Back