Tree root protection: alternate methods of contruction?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron in sc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Live Oak tree roots are about 15' and 20' from location of proposed perimeter foundation. Since trees are on the marsh there are no roots on that side of the tree.

I'm very concerned that cutting roots in the photos will have very bad consequences down the road even if they are cut cleanly and have mulch put around them.

I've asked my contractor to check with the structural engineer about alternate methods of construction, like putting the home addition or part of it on piles.

Any suggestions as to cutting roots and treating tree or as to alternate construction methods to help me deal with my concerns?

yes build on piers and posts instead of continuous footings.

You are already damaging roots a lot by driving on them. Put down 12" of coarse wood chips in the area uphill of the trunk.

All this and more is found in the book
Tres and Development. Buy it now and sell it to your architect they should have it if they are to build with trees instead of againast them.

You are already damaging roots a lot by driving on them. Put down 12" of coarse wood chips in the area uphill of the trunk.

Those tire marks in the photo are from wheel barrels. Any dirt that has need to be moved has been done with a wheel barrel. My Arborist also said to put down the mulch like you said. He will be bringing me some as soon as he has a truck load. We had planned on putting down mulch from oak trees.

Is there another type of muclh I can buy that would be as good or better?

Thanks for the info on the reference book.

oak mulch over oak roots, makes sense to me. Yer arborist is a smart cookie. ;)

What other rootzone therapy is she recommending?

What other rootzone therapy is she recommending?

He also recommended to areate roots around the base of each tree out to about 5 or 6'. They used a rake and a garden hose. I suggested it might be better to use my pressure washer, pressure turned way down as a way to do it with less impact; so that's how I'm doing it.

He also recommended to areate roots around the base of each tree out to about 5 or 6'. They used a rake and a garden hose. I suggested it might be better to use my pressure washer, pressure turned way down as a way to do it with less impact; so that's how I'm doing it.
why stop at 6'? roots obviously much onger.

Organic matter? Soil test and fertilizer? Microorganism addition?

Never heard of this way of aerating a root zone. How does it work? Is there something I'm missing? A+ for hiring an arborist to help you save your trees though.:clap:

Never heard of this way of aerating a root zone. How does it work?

All I know is what we did which was use my pressure washer low pressure to remove some of the excess dirt that had collected around the base of the tree and was somewhat compacted. That was due to erosion. Some of the smaller roots which were exposed were covered with hardwood mulch.

We have decided to use micro piles or have spans over the roots. Contractor will bring engineer to site so they can design foundation without roots being cuts.

We have decided to use micro piles or have spans over the roots. Contractor will bring engineer to site so they can design foundation without roots being cuts.

Sounds like a very good decision for the longevity of your trees. Just watch them so they don't damage the trees in the process. Good Luck. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back