Tree sabotage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the property owner should be allowed to poke holes in the pr!ck with a pick-axe then pour round-up in the holes.

An alive tree failing vs. dead tree failing...I love neighbors. Great thread, I hope this guy gets it. Take pics of the new tree install should be a great show.

wow, what an imbecile.....That's an open and shut case...first, criminal trespass....and he'll be liable for triple damages at the least....and if one of the oaks is maybe 30 onch dbh, ad in good condition, an appraisal would come in between 20 and 30k, I'd guess...Triple that, and that lowlife creep is gonna be wanting to find a short pier...or a tall bridge and a short rope...

wow, what an imbecile.....That's an open and shut case...first, criminal trespass....and he'll be liable for triple damages at the least....and if one of the oaks is maybe 30 onch dbh, ad in good condition, an appraisal would come in between 20 and 30k, I'd guess...Triple that, and that lowlife creep is gonna be wanting to find a short pier...or a tall bridge and a short rope...

I really dont know, but you think it'll be over 20??

I really dont know, but you think it'll be over 20??

Easily. Removal, excavation and replacement of a tree at least 30 feet tall, probably more like 60 feet?

Easily $20K, probably more like $30K if they can even find a tree like that at that size. Who transplants something like that? The rootball is going to be HUGE!

Not drama, I see danger.

And the drama continues... My son went over today and took these pictures and did some digging around. A police report was filed and there was an eye witness he talked, who said they saw the neighbor on the 4th of July night go over with a pick ax and a jug of round up. So they got photo evidence of the guy actually doing it. And like a moron after he was confronted while doing it he kept working on it. Even after they took pictures he finished his job and scurried inside. Week later... TREE DEAD.

Here are the links to the pictures.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/Douchee_coo77/Image01-1.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/Douchee_coo77/Image02.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/Douchee_coo77/Image03.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/Douchee_coo77/Image04.jpg

Who knows what someone like this will do now. I would be concerned about family safety.

That's exactly what I was thinking!!!! http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/hmm3grin2orange.gif
:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm not sure what the owner is going to do yet. I'm going to call later today and see what she is planning to do.

I'll keep you all posted.

I'm guessing that you are encouraging her to take action, not simply waiting to see what she does? Man you must be ticked off.

I've talked to a guy who did this before, a very different situation, but he drilled and put in the roundup. Surprising how quickly that method kills a tree. While the neighbor was indeed ignorant (as mentioned) the real descriptor here is malice.

Sorry to hear your hard work was undone.

I'm guessing that you are encouraging her to take action, not simply waiting to see what she does? Man you must be ticked off.

Sorry to hear your hard work was undone.

Yeah, it made us mad! We are a start up company and this was one of our first big jobs, so we were extra careful to do nice job. This is a small town and everyone knows us, we were getting a lot of nice comments from all the neighbors about how well they turned out.

I spoke with the owner about her legal rights. I don't think she realized the entire scope of this event. I offered to find her a Tree and Landscape appraiser. She was not sure what she was going to yet. A well known local nursery man came out and just off the top of his head estimated the tree to be worth at least $25-30K.

If anything else develops I'll post an update.

Yeah, it made us mad! We are a start up company and this was one of our first big jobs, so we were extra careful to do nice job. This is a small town and everyone knows us, we were getting a lot of nice comments from all the neighbors about how well they turned out.

I spoke with the owner about her legal rights. I don't think she realized the entire scope of this event. I offered to find her a Tree and Landscape appraiser. She was not sure what she was going to yet. A well known local nursery man came out and just off the top of his head estimated the tree to be worth at least $25-30K.

If anything else develops I'll post an update.

Please do, id like to hear what arises from the situation.

I would try and get the woman to pursue civil action, whoever has the audacity to go into their neighbors yard and kill a tree like that needs to be punished where it hurts.

All said and done you should try and score the new planting//transplanting, its a shame to take pride in your work and watch it be destroyed like that.

now all the tree needs to do is fall on his house... ..revenge of the tree:clap:
and I dont think the ins company would want to pay anything since there is photo evidence of him killing the tree that fell on his house.. poetic justice

Last edited:
Here's the latest.
The owner called me for an estimate to remove the tree. She is going to give this to the police dept for the DA to prosecute this guy. So it looks like they are building a case to take action.
I'll post any new developments....

That's good. Criminal trespass and destruction of property. But she also needs to file a civil case for restitution. She needs a consulting arborist's appraisal and an attorney to take the case--which will be open and shut. One problem might be if the idiot has no way to pay up.

Back