tree service damaged my tree!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good. I would try and remedy this by going to the tree service and see if they will replace the tree. You will never get your tree back and this is probably the best you will do.

I plan to call the guy on the way home.

I called the guy a little bit ago, and told him I wanted him to remove the rest of the tree and replace it. He told me he wasn't going to do all that, and that he could take it down and put it on the curb. He said it was an accident, and I could talk to a lawyer about it if I wanted.

How long has it been since it occured? Here in PA you would need a police report due to it being property damage. Call your HO insurance company, they should help you out. If it hasn't been too long, you can still get the police to write a report, otherwise, you will need firm evidence they did it, otherwise it will be he said/she said deal. You will need to go to court though.:chainsaw:

I also notice your gutters need cleaned as well.:jester:

How long has it been since it occured? Here in PA you would need a police report due to it being property damage. Call your HO insurance company, they should help you out. If it hasn't been too long, you can still get the police to write a report, otherwise, you will need firm evidence they did it, otherwise it will be he said/she said deal. You will need to go to court though.:chainsaw:

I also notice your gutters need cleaned as well.:jester:

I called the police, they said to handle it with the tree service. Not sure I want to go to court.

I called the police, they said to handle it with the tree service. Not sure I want to go to court.

I'm not sure how to get the compensation without legal proceedings. In order to get their insurance company involved, he will have to put the claim in to them. The only way it sounds like he is going to do that, is if you file suit against him.

What a piece of garbage this guy must be. Doesn't sound like a reputable businessman at all. He caused the damage and will not take the tree out, get rid of the stump and plant a new one. Now on principal I would do it - take him to small claims court. He won't have a leg to stand on.

Contact your homeowners insurance and let them know - maybe they have a way to find out where his insurance is with and then they can go after him.

Since this guy is tough, you should have someone else contact him about tree work and tell him that they have to know up front who his insurance carrier is, once they get the info, have them give it to you and you can deal directly with his company. I would not contact your company as it may cost you in the long run.

Since this guy is tough, you should have someone else contact him about tree work and tell him that they have to know up front who his insurance carrier is, once they get the info, have them give it to you and you can deal directly with his company. I would not contact your company as it may cost you in the long run.

Knowing who his carrier (if he has one) is great and all that, but it does nothing. The only person who can initiate a claim on his liability insurance is him. (unless my understanding is incorrect)

If I was in RB's spot, I'd be fully and completely pissed at this point, and be going for a max value judgement. He'll probably be shocked when he finds out what a replacement tree of equal size costs to purchase and install, and wish he'd been a stand up guy in the first place.....

What a piece of garbage this guy must be. Doesn't sound like a reputable businessman at all. He caused the damage and will not take the tree out, get rid of the stump and plant a new one. Now on principal I would do it - take him to small claims court. He won't have a leg to stand on.

Contact your homeowners insurance and let them know - maybe they have a way to find out where his insurance is with and then they can go after him.

Agreed.

If I was in RB's spot, I'd be fully and completely pissed at this point, and be going for a max value judgement. He'll probably be shocked when he finds out what a replacement tree of equal size costs to purchase and install, and wish he'd been a stand up guy in the first place.....

What would a tree of that size cost to purchase and install?

What county in Virginia are you from? I know in Maryland if a contractor in home improvement screws the pooch you can file a complaint against them. The contractors really hate that. I wonder how responsive the people are that oversee licensed tree services?

There is a wholesale tree place near me that sells some very large balled and burlaped trees - and I believe they are very expensive. I'd suggest you give a place like this a call and ask them what a decent sized tree would run - tree and installation - then factor in the removal of the other tree too.

I don't know what this is worth other than to give you some perspective - they had a Ask This Old House episode where this family in MA wanted to get a tree for their front yard. The family wanted a more mature tree than just a sapling, so this thing probably was a 5-7" diameter ornamental tree about 15-18' tall. I want to say that the cost of the tree, the prep, the transportation of the tree, the loader, etc - it was like a 5-6K job.

What would a tree of that size cost to purchase and install?

I'm only speculating, and mature tree prices are not terribly easy to find on the net, but ballpark....

8"dia....around 1k-1500 for the tree, 66-100% of purchase price for install

12"dia...2k-5k, depending on the tree and the seller, and probably figure 100% of purchase price for install.

Like I said though, just speculation....others can definately provide answers based on real info, not my guesses.

rb i could not see a picture here--is that the tree i pruned?

Yes get a police report, or police notes can do a lot. Trespass is a crime, "intentional" or not.
:agree2:
Yes you need an appraisal: cost of cure, TFM, or if it can be salvaged then cost of repair. I can get an appraisal to you affordably.
:agree2:
post the pics again--there is a way to restore it, I betcha. :cheers:

I called the guy a little bit ago, and told him I wanted him to remove the rest of the tree and replace it. He told me he wasn't going to do all that, and that he could take it down and put it on the curb. He said it was an accident, and I could talk to a lawyer about it if I wanted.

Well now its sue or live with it. I personally feel he is a fly by night. In my business I would want to make it right and would likely have offered removal with stump and planting. I may not have went as far as same size and noted that usually it is counter productive anyway, as they seem to take longer to establish and therefore the two inch diameter tree would catch up faster most times anyway. I however would, if that is what it took to make you happy because; my business has to be for fifteen to twenty more years and bad word travels faster than good. I would hope to gain the trust of the customer and you and most times it creates two or three more customers because they know you do the right thing.

Last edited:
well now its sue or live with it. I personally feel he is a fly by night. In my business i would want to make it right and would likely have offered removal with stump and planting. I may not have went as far as same size and noted that usually it is counter productive anyway, as they seem to take longer to establish and therefore the two inch diameter tree would catch up faster most times anyway. I however would if that is what it took to make you happy because my business has to be for ten to twenty more years and bad word travels faster than good. I would hope to gain the trust of the customer and you and most times it creates two or three more customers because they know you do the right thing.

+1.

Well now its sue or live with it. I personally feel he is a fly by night. In my business I would want to make it right and would likely have offered removal with stump and planting. I may not have went as far as same size and noted that usually it is counter productive anyway, as they seem to take longer to establish and therefore the two inch diameter tree would catch up faster most times anyway. I however would, if that is what it took to make you happy because; my business has to be for fifteen to twenty more years and bad word travels faster than good. I would hope to gain the trust of the customer and you and most times it creates two or three more customers because they know you do the right thing.

See now that would have made me perfectly happy. This could have bought a $100-150 replacement and I would be fine with it. It's the attitude that he can damage my tree and not take responsibility for it that really pisses me off. And I think fly by night is correct.

Back