Tree trunk bark splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian555

Reaction score
Hello,

I've attached pictures of a tree from my property. As you can see the bark is splitting at the base of the trunk. I first noticed some cracks appeared after last winter around Feb 2016, and it's gotten progressively worse over the last 10 months or so. The tree appears healthy otherwise. I believe it's about 8 years old, and would hate to lose it. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse? Or can the tree recover from this on its own?

Thanks!

TreeFull.jpg TreeTrunkBack.jpg TreeTrunkFront.jpg

Frost cracking is common on young smooth bark trees. Wraps are available but burlap will work just as good if you have some. Make sure you take it off in the spring.

It looks like the tree is compartmentalizing the crack well.
It would be helpful to remove the mulch directly around the tree to expose the root flair.

Hey guys - thanks for the quick replies. I will remove some mulch like Jed suggested and see if the root flare can be exposed. Hopefully it's just the mulch that is too high.

Tree is def too deep, damage and decay starts below the soil/mulch line.

As I tell professional landscapers, you only get one chance to plant the tree correctly...

Back