Tree Weeping Water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlanders

Reaction score
We have this large tree on the north side of our home that has a an open hole in the trunk about 2 feet from the base of the tree. It was probably where a limb either broke off or was sawed off and never closed up properly. The opening in the tree holds rainwater and an area of bark appears wet all the time. This area of wetness has also increased in size each year. There are hundreds of woodpecker or worm holes where this water drips out of the tree. Should this tree be taken down asap? Thank you for your answers.

Does the moisture smell sour? If so it may be a bacterial infection, which would inhibit the growth of decay fungi. Tap the bark and listen for a hollow sound, which indicates the bark is dead in that spot. Until you know how much wood is holding the tree up you can't know how safe it is.

Does Austin U have an extension service you can ask/

Tree Weeps Water

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, the water does smell and it appears to have decaying particles of wood in the water. Nacogdoches is located in the Pineywoods of East Texas so we do have a Texas Forest Service office here, a county extension office and Stephen F. Austin State University has a nationally recognized forestry program so I will also check with them. I will take a photo of the tree when it stops raining and post.

it's not going to ever get better.

it WILL only get worse.wood and standing water do not mix.cut it down before it comes down on it's own.

Is the water dark ? Are there cracks in it's bark near where water is comenmg out . If is the liquid smells fouild drop the tree ASAP . it is rotten .

Usually ifas tre is "bleeding" it is dieaseaed and shouild be rem,oved before ther proble spreads to other trees and plants

:chainsaw:

not informed ?

i deal with these almost everyday.will he need an informed opinion when it comes crashing down?water inside a tree is bad news.no matter who you are.

the only way i'd leave it alone is.........

if it is in no danger of hitting anything when it comes down.

i deal with these almost everyday.will he need an informed opinion when it comes crashing down?water inside a tree is bad news.no matter who you are.
No arborist worth a dang, will recommend removing a tree without even knowing what kind of tree it is, that's even an ANSI standard. Some other things you don't know, besides the genus and species, is the size of both the tree and the wound, do you think these things might be important to know before you shoot your mouth off?
In addition, I know of no study that clearly shows water standing in a tree wound accelerates decay, or that it increases the chance the CODIT walls will be broken.
In light of these two facts, you are then suggesting that any size wound, on any tree, is an immediate call for removal.
I see you list many fine saws, could you list a credible source that indicates water in a tree indicates a need for removal?

experience.

sugar maples and red and white oaks around here come crashing down often.sugar maples have plenty of problems from center rot.whether water is a factor or not.sometimes things sound great in the books or classroom but sometimes you have to just be realistic use experience and common sense.you've never read a book or periodical that was wrong? never heard an instructor who was missinformed? sorry,we are all human.i do not believe in 100% fact.there are to many factors involved in each scenario.each usually with it's own set of rules.

also consider water expands up to seven times when frozen.must not have any effect on trees. maybe in wisconsin they have trees that are impervious to water damage.

i will admit,i have watched trees with water running through the trunk for several years,but who is to say when and if the damage will result in disaster.

if the tree is near a building,power lines,or street,i say it isn't worth the risk.in the middle of a field,leave it.

don't get me wrong,i try and talk folks into leaving trees standing all the time so i can say i'm not looking to cut anything down just to make a buck.unfortunately nature and weather play too many factors in where and when a tree will come down.

i guess you could always try some marine grade silicone sealer.

Last edited:
i also do not know all the factors in the posters situation.

it was my opinion based on experience.i am dealing with a lady right now that has this dilema.she doesn't want to loose the tree and i do not blame her.it is a beautiful tree but when it rains,water is coming out of the split trunk like a waterfall.this tree splits into two giant leaders about 6 feet off the ground.one leader is going to split here house (converted from an old barn) in half.the other is going to cross a heavily traveled road and take out three phase power lines.the tree is every bit of 80 feet tall and it will require a crane.all it takes is one storm.

hornett, I hear what you're saying about the value of experience. That cannot be denied. Nothing drives me crazier than a desk arborist pulling some opinion out of a book and misapplying it to tree work when it just does not fit. But tied with that is when a working arborist pulls a number out of what seems like thin air and misapplies it.

All the references I look at, as well as my experience, tell me that water expands 9%, yet you say that "water expands up to seven times when frozen.must not have any effect on trees. maybe in wisconsin they have trees that are impervious to water damage." First, your figure is 77 times higher than everyone else's, so I think you got some splainin to do. Second, using sarcasm when talking to Mr. Maas is like using your fingernails when fighting a tiger. :eek:

In the cases you describe, it sounds like there are many steps that can be taken to manage those trees without a basal cut. Maybe the marine grade silicone sealer is worth a try, maybe expandable foam. Both have been experimented with and discussed here--check the archives for deep discussions on filing cavities. There are also basic arboricultural steps, like pruning and cabling, that can help to hold trees together.

All it takes is one storm to knock a tree down, true. But all it takes is an open-minded arborist who balances facts from written references with field experience, working with nature to find ways to keep a tree standing. Why not take a picture of that tree and post it here?

Second, using sarcasm when talking to Mr. Maas is like using your fingernails when fighting a tiger. :eek:
Did you read the recent story about the guy that got swallowed head first by a shark, up to his waist? His head, right arm, and upper torso were completely in the sharks mouth, and the shark's teeth were chomping down on his weight belt. The diver reached his left arm around to the shark's eye and scratched it with his finger nail! The shark spit him out.

Where was I going with that...oh yeah, Hornet's wrong and I'm right.:laugh:

What I think he has done was to have a preconceived notion of what the tree looked like, added that to incorrect thinking about water pooling in a tree, and, like I said before, made an uninformed recommendation.

hey,sometimes i get carried away.

none of us have seen the tree in person so i guess i'll swallow my pride and say i shouldn't say anything without witnessing said tree in person.

i'm sure mike is a great arborist with many years of knowledge and experience.i was just a little taken aback by his comment.no hard feelings.just going by my experience on trees i have dealt with here in the NE.

still don't know what my saw inventory has to do with anything.:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
hornett, you got real class. Trees teach humility--every time I think I know something, when I look hard at what's going on with the tree, it teaches me something else.

Even Mike gets carried away sometimes--right, Mike?

Last edited:
What do you learn as it goes thru the chipper Guy???
How good it's going to look--and work-- as mulch!:biggrinbounce2:

Nice try, Jason.

Seriously, there's a lot I learn while chipping--I'll count the ways at the end of the day.

treeseer,not sure if you're being sarcastic but...........

i will assume you're not.no biggie either way.i never claim to know everything but i have seen some strange things as well.

guy behind my buddies house had a ton of pines taken down in his backyard by a big tree service here.he decided to rent a bobcat and stumpgrinder to do the finish work.after taking care of all the stumps,he must have had some extra time left on his rental.
he proceeded to start grinding some roots on the side of his house between his and the neighbors house.well,one of the roots just happend to be keeping the tree in the corner erect.after a little grinding,the tree came to rest on his neighbors roof.fortunately just some minor roof and eve damage was done.funny thing is,something like this never crossed my mind but it should have.live and learn.

Back