Treehouse Project, Boring Trees Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secureland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am considering a tree house project this summer. I have been considering design. I've seen many trees killed by fasteners from treehouses. I'm considering something different. It involves boring a hole directly through 18" DBH white ash trees at about 6' up. A hole big enough to slide a 2 X 6" into. Would this kill the tree, or would the tree heal around it?

You could build a stable enough platform at that height without really attaching to the tree. Just use posts that are set in the ground. Kind of a psuedo tree house, but no damage to the tree and probably a lot more stable.

I did some reading about the Garnier Limb. It is supposed to allow the tree to stay healthy, depending on the original health, size, and species.
I have considered the method of not actually using the tree at all, this would reduce damage, and allow flexibility in choosing a tree and location. The cost and labor would go up as I'd have to dig at least 4' down to get below frost depth.
As far as the kids enjoying it, they would probabaly enjoy a nice tree more than the evenly spaced trees (which might not be as nice) that would be neccesary for a true tree supported structure.

Thanks for the replys and I might be posting back with more questions and hopefully some pictures!

Bill

You could build a stable enough platform at that height without really attaching to the tree. Just use posts that are set in the ground. Kind of a psuedo tree house, but no damage to the tree and probably a lot more stable.

I wanted a tree house for my kid . I am no builder so I hoisted a shed onto some poles under some trees. Did the trick without hurting the walnuts. Got the shed for a bush mowing job and you know where the poles came from.

Treehouse Project

Hi,Dont know alot about treehouses but I do know you dont want to make too big of a hole in the tree and hardwoods with long life would be best.The garnier system is one I think I looked into and it seemed like a good one.It had the fairly good size bolts(if i remember right these bolts were about $80.00 for one) that screw into the tree with colars on the ends of them for alot of differt brackets to attach to.The cable system I saw used cables that went over fairly big branches above where the house would be and went down next to the tree to the bottom of the house,the cable system looked like it worked best when the house went all the way around the tree.

Only six feet off the ground? Secure the "tree house" to posts on the ground and don't put any wounds on the tree.

If you're building it for a child - remember the life of the tree house is limited until their teens and move on to bigger and better things. A tree house on stilts can then be dismantled without having damaged the tree.

Ash isn't a great compartmentalizer. The Garner bolt system is great on some trees for a permanent structure, but you should choose a tree with a longer expected useful life. They generally compartmentalize wounds better and would be more permanent.

Latest posts

Back