Trees in city parks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PStuffel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well The best rec. climbing in my area is in the city parks. Old, huge live Oaks and Pecans. Also some nice Bald Cypress along the lake. Problem is every time I get into a tree, I get chased out by park police and threatened with arrest. I understand the liability problem on there end so I dont raise a fuss, just pack up and move on. Just wondering if folks in other areas have had similar problems and have been able to mitigate a solution? There are several public rock climbing areas on city park land and these are open to any dumb ass with a harness and a rope. I have seen plenty of scary stupid and unsafe things happen at these spots. So what is the difference? :monkey: :monkey:

There are several public rock climbing areas on city park land and these are open to any dumb ass with a harness and a rope. I have seen plenty of scary stupid and unsafe things happen at these spots. So what is the difference? :monkey: :monkey:

One is a widely accepted activity, the other isn't. Park managers are very protective of their trees, park trees are more vulnerable than rocks to damage. It's a gradual process to gain more acceptance for recreational tree climbing. Find the trees that you can climb without offending (don't trim branches) or being disturbed by the authorities. Show that you can climb safely and not damage the trees along the way. Make contact with community groups that are involved in your local parks. They have the contacts and political power to deal with city and state agencies. Offer to run climbs for the park related community organizations. This is the work that is required to open up rec tree climbing.
-moss

And moss is a shining example of how to make it happen:clap:

We've been doing it for 3-4 years now? Even last friday we had a Park (St)Ranger come up and ask us what we were up to, even though they had been notified.......:dizzy:

I have had the honor of helping out with some introductory climbing classes for an urban forrestry class that took place in a city park. We set that up through the city parks manager. I have asked the park police to check in with there superiors and the parks manager on the issue but they have always refused to do so.

I hear ya

Half a block down the st. is a huge elm and many other well maintained trees that beg me to climb them every time I stroll through the park. I am sure I could arrange to climb them but haven't yet. Any day now, any day.

Do you really think it a good idea to climb trees in public parks where cops can see you? Go a little deeper in there for crying out loud.

I gave the same advice to a couple of kids who were sharing a little bag of what looked to be catnip right under one the biggest live oaks in town. :dizzy: The homeless folks drinking in the same spot could learn a lesson from this also, but they don't seem to have a problem with the local PD. I have gotten the contact info for the Cities park manager and plan to pursue this further.

I gave the same advice to a couple of kids who were sharing a little bag of what looked to be catnip right under one the biggest live oaks in town. :dizzy: The homeless folks drinking in the same spot could learn a lesson from this also, but they don't seem to have a problem with the local PD. I have gotten the contact info for the Cities park manager and plan to pursue this further.

Ha! Smoking weed in the park attracts less attention than tree climbing :) Good luck, you're on the right track.
-moss

what you don't say! Kids smoking pot under a tree in a park? Homless people drinking beer there to? Yup, call the stormtroopers.

At a BBQ earlier this year we noticed a hedgerow, put our lines in it, ( 'cause we never go to a BBQ w/out a chainsaw and some climbing gear ) and set up a tree to tree traverse. Point is, if the man gets you down, be creative, plenty o' trees around.

Well The best rec. climbing in my area is in the city parks. Old, huge live Oaks and Pecans. Also some nice Bald Cypress along the lake. Problem is every time I get into a tree, I get chased out by park police and threatened with arrest. I understand the liability problem on there end so I dont raise a fuss, just pack up and move on. Just wondering if folks in other areas have had similar problems and have been able to mitigate a solution? There are several public rock climbing areas on city park land and these are open to any dumb ass with a harness and a rope. I have seen plenty of scary stupid and unsafe things happen at these spots. So what is the difference? :monkey: :monkey:
My advice from personal experience is to get in with the director of parks and rec. dept. of your nearest city. I got in with one and it has really been a help. You'd be surprised the work the guy will send ya and when you're rec climbin and see a hazard and you give them a complimentary piece of advice on it they may just ask when you can take out the problem. I've got a lot of big jobs with a local parks and rec. dept. by showing that i don't have to be paid for being sincere and honest and so can you. Good luck with that one.:clap:
PS. Make d%m sure that you have the proper insurance!

Today, more than 6,000 volunteers will not only plant flower bulbs, rake leaves and paint park benches in almost 200 locations citywide, they'll also help to plant ten thousand trees across all five boroughs. Whether you care about your neighborhood, your environment, or your health, It's My Park! Day and other volunteer opportunities in city parks are a great way to make a difference.
----------------
dwella

Search Engine Marketing

What city is this?

Back