Tricks for keeping a chain sharp in Cedar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
firtol88

firtol88

ArboristSite Member
Maybe a sharpening method...

From past experience chipper chain works out best, does someone have a trick for semi-chisel...

Just wondering as I need to drop and chunk three small ones 12"-14" dbh 30-40' and don't like stopping.

BTW if anyone in the Baton Rouge area might have any use for the wood, I'll limb them and leave them near the road for ya

Crofter

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you are using semi-chisel and cut wood only not dirt, you shouldn't have to resharpen to cut up three trees. Cedar does have abrasive crystals in it. You know quick when milling it. Generally you will have to sever fewer fibres if you cut bigger chips, so within reason you could lower your rakers, but I would not do it for three trees. Sharpening once should only take a few minutes anyway if the chain is only wood dull.

Frank

firtol88

firtol88

ArboristSite Member
Just remembering the last time I played with Cedar (quite awhile ago) it seems like I spent more time sharpening than I did cutting. Then again that was a couple big ones so I could be getting excited about nothing, don't remember if the chains were questionable to start with...

Pacific

Pacific

ArboristSite Operative
What are you talking about abrasive crystals :confused:

I cut Western Red Cedar on a regular basis never had to resharpen my chain falling and bucking cedar trees. The 4 large ones (30"-36" diameter 80' tall) I dropped for my neighbour the chain was thowing the same sized sawdust chips on the last tree compared to the first tree.

I never cut cypress (yellow cedar) as they grow only in certain areas.

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
just hot id mention. . if u ever have flea problems with u dog.. u ought put a bunch of these ceder chips un plastic bags. use it in your dogs bedding ,,and no need for flea colors an such.tics wont stay on dog with cedar shavings either.
when iraised dogs ,i had a resistant type of flea develope in my dogs that used sevin dust to make bricks for there houses and flea dip for coolaid.. since i was trying to run an first class kennel
it got to be a real problem..then i discovered they couldnt stand cedar shavins..

Pacific

Pacific

ArboristSite Operative
I can see those being tough from the pics on the webpage the Eastern Red cedar looks like it grows slow. I doubt there is any timber value from Eastern Red way to many knots and twists.

user 2993

user 2993

ArboristSite Operative
$350-$400/MBF in my area. Full of knots. Primarily used for paneling, furniture, porches, etc. Just keep touching up the chain and use lots of oil, it seems to suck it right out of the bar.

ScottyStump

ScottyStump

ArboristSite Lurker
cedar stumps

I just did a cedar stump job on Friday and many I had to cut down to earth. I just touched up my chain the night before and I swear to god , in 8 stumps the ???? saw was wood-dull by the end. (may have hit the dirt once)

Latest posts