Tried out a new compression tester... issues??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Efisher26

Tinkerer
Reaction score
Tried a husky 36 and poulan 3700, both tested around 120psi. It seems extremely low for how well they both cut. Its a digital meter. Great reveiws on amazon. "Mityvac" brand. Could it need callibration out of the box?

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV55...000I14M6Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Ya I thought about that after I posted, I'll try that tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For best results, clamp the throttle wide open and pull, pull, pull until the needle doesn't rise anymore. At least, give it 6 pulls.

I switched out the valve to see of that made a difference, nope...

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

For best results, clamp the throttle wide open and pull, pull, pull until the needle doesn't rise anymore. At least, give it 6 pulls.

No need to hold the throttle wide open. You are measuring the static compression and a wide open throttle makes no difference.

Tried a husky 36 and poulan 3700, both tested around 120psi. It seems extremely low for how well they both cut. Its a digital meter. Great reveiws on amazon. "Mityvac" brand. Could it need callibration out of the box?

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV55...000I14M6Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

It is quite possible that t is indeed out of calibration. What I would do is use a tester that is known to work correctly to check of accuracy.

And post a picture of the set up installed on the saw. Make sure you are using an adaptor that contains a schrader valve.
I would presume that being new the Schrader valve is correct but know that the Snap On/Blue Point tester requires a special valve & the standard car tyre valve insert gives false readings

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36
your sig shows two 3700's. what did the other one check out at.? Usually a 3700 should run somewhere between 140and 150.

I haven't tried my other one yet, but thats what I thought it would be, it cuts too good for 120psi

Any volume the setup adds between the schrader valve and the saw just adds to the combustion chamber volume. That reduces the compression ratio.

Static/low rpm pressure readings don't mean much beyond a general check of the sealing of the rings.

Nice Gauge, Not sure why there are so many different hoses ? Is there a downloadable PDF document ? I would be interrested in more information about the gauge.

Anyhow, I don't have an answer to your question, but my Analog gauge does the same thing. On some engines I get 140 - 150 PSIG readings, and on other engines that I have rebuilt and run great May only have readings of 110 PSIG. I believe one person said it was due to the volume of the different adapters, and I haven't really investigated, so Not really sure why, but I Sort of like "Chris-PA" answer.

Many engines have deeper spark plug holes( more threads) and different bore size, the kit covers most, theres only 2 in the kit that fit saws, one is too long for mine and would hit the piston, the other is same as plug

Found the PDF document on the Mighty-Vac site: http://www.mityvac.com/catalog/ede.pdf

Also curious, If anyone has thought about whether fuel/oil can get inside the gauge when testing compressions ? And If you do a compression test on an engine Multiple times will you flood or add fuel to the engines crankcase ? Obviously once your done with the compression check, and run the engine it will burn out the excess fuel from pulling the starter cord multiple times.

Found the PDF document on the Mighty-Vac site: http://www.mityvac.com/catalog/ede.pdf

Also curious, If anyone has thought about whether fuel/oil can get inside the gauge when testing compressions ? And If you do a compression test on an engine Multiple times will you flood or add fuel to the engines crankcase ? Obviously once your done with the compression check, and run the engine it will burn out the excess fuel from pulling the starter cord multiple times.
I've flooded engines doing a compression test

So I connected it to the compressor, its 30psi under the 2 gauges on the compressor. Anyone know how/if can be calibrated?

Latest posts

Back