Trim branches that hang over your property?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yarz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can you trim (or have trimmed) the branches that hang over your property? Should probably OK it with the neighbor first, but I've heard (no idea if it's actually true) that around here, you can cut anything that's over the property line.

That is usually between you and the neighbor. If they are into managing the tree in the community's benefit, you're good to go. If they are a "get off my lawn" type then it will be a battle.

As far as I’m concerned if it’s over the line it’s fair game. My neighbor tried to stop me from removing my trees that were (keyword) in my yard. I had the property surveyed and she lost 50’ of what they thought was theirs. Trees came down, She cried, it was a good day. I hate some people.

My opinion is you can cut any limb encroaching on your property but man I can see it becoming an ugly mess if the tree is just over the property line on the neighbors side.

1697567203976.png

Can you trim (or have trimmed) the branches that hang over your property? Should probably OK it with the neighbor first, but I've heard (no idea if it's actually true) that around here, you can cut anything that's over the property line.
Legally yes anything that is over property line, but if you significantly damage the tree or kill it then you are liable. You don't have to notify anyone.

Legally yes anything that is over property line, but if you significantly damage the tree or kill it then you are liable. You don't have to notify anyone.

Yep. This is the way it is in most areas. Liability laws vary according to local moods, too. What might be fine and even expected in Wyoming is very likely to have a different spin in Berkley, Ca.

Back