Trimmer line...Heavy Duty??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanmigmike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My wife has two Husky 235R's and is looking for a better line to use with them. Mostly grass and light brush. Clackamas area in Oregon and on acres so we have some berries and other stuff she tries to get. She just wants something that holds up better.

Or a forum that might be better to ask this question. Thanks!

Look for the red (sometimes orange-ish) square line, not the stuff that looks like this x but square with flat sides, seems to hold up much, much better than stock round line and cuts noticably better. I have also heard some good things about the nylon blades but haven't tried them yet (its an attachment with either 3 or four blades that swing freely), a quick Google should get you pointed in the right direction. In a pinch I have used 100lb (? or 80 I forget exactly)test fishing line which worked quite well (and cheap) but the problem was finding broken strands later as they sort of blend in. Hope this helps.

:cheers:

Serge

the 235rs are a straight shaft so you could run a blade, that will last much longer than string line. does it have the loop handle or the V handle

Thanks so far... the v handle...

Both of them have the v-handle and harness. Not sure I could handle it with one of the small loops. She likes them much better than the stuff we had years ago, Ryobi and some others.

When I have used it I have used the blade (kind of star shaped thing) a few times but don't think I quite had the hang of it. I wasn't pleased with the job but maybe that was my lack of skill.

Last edited:
Both of them have the v-handle and harness. Not sure I could handle it with one of the small loops. She likes them much better than the stuff we had years ago, Ryobi and some others.

When I have used it I have used the blade (kind of star shaped thing) a few times but don't think I quite had the hang of it. I wasn't pleased with the job but maybe that was my lack of skill.

can you explain a bit further as to why you were not pleased ?

The square, triangle, X, whatever line is JUNK!!!!!! Think about it as soon as it hits something, it rounds over and is SMALLER than when originally put on. SO say you have a .95 line X style. The manufacturer measures it from corner to corner, the second those corners are round which is the first time you hit something thats not grass, the line is now the size of the solid interior dimensions...........MUCH MUCH smaller!

This was taught to us in Stihls Silver School! The round line is cheaper so its not a marketing ploy. They have a one hour talk on trimmer line and 2/3 of it were on this very subject.

Try out some of the black line Stihl makes. It is 135. VERY thick and strong!

Almost all other line besides Stihl (which is made in VA Beach) is made by spectra, the fishing line co. The strength differences on same diameter line is incredible. The Stihl stuff is almost 2 as strong.

Good Luck with your line problems!

Thanks....

We will go over to ****'s tomorrow and see if they have some in or can order it for us. Think we will try the Stihl stuff.

Part of the problem with using a blade was just a lack of control or skill on my part and to be honest hitting rocks, we had a couple of neighbors that started grass fires that way. My wife worries about hurting saplings and other things we want to grow when she uses one.

I have some of Husky's round "Titanium" line and like it. It lasts a lot longer than some of the cheaper stuff I've tried. I've got a 232R and tried some 120 line but the bump feed head I had at the time wouldn't feed it, and since it was stiffer than the 080 line, it would break off even with the opening of the head. It was also heavier and I could hear a difference in how many Rs the trimmer was running at full throttle. I went back to 080, the trimmer spun up faster, and the thinner line cut better.

just my 2c,
Ian

I'm going to change my 2c... I had some trimming to do, so I had a go with the fat line again. It's been a couple of years since I bought it and set it aside and some things have changed in the mean time. What I remembered as 120 line was actually .155 line
eek.gif
. I've done away with the bump feed head and gone with a lighter one that takes one piece of line at a time... I think the brand is "Rhino Tuff". I also muffler modded my trimmer a few weeks ago, so it's got more oomph now. That fat line still drug the trimmer down some but it didn't do to bad, all things considered. I think I will buy some of the larger stuff the next time I need some.. maybe 120 will work out after all.

Ian

Not sure if they carry the brush cutting stuff, but you might try calling Tree Tools in Lake Oswego - they have quite a few accessories.

And then there is one company that has "Stark" in their title - forget the full name. They handle a lot of commercial grade stuff.

I'm looking forward to our house selling here, so I can enjoy purchasing from those folks again.

Trimmer line

We will go over to ****'s tomorrow and see if they have some in or can order it for us. Think we will try the Stihl stuff.

Part of the problem with using a blade was just a lack of control or skill on my part and to be honest hitting rocks, we had a couple of neighbors that started grass fires that way. My wife worries about hurting saplings and other things we want to grow when she uses one.

You can hurt sapling with string too. The damage will not be noticed for maybe years, but it will hurt. When the damage gets covered over by mulch the sapling will rot out.
One thing that I tell people is that my weedwacker with string is the most dangerous tool I have. The debris that it fllings is dangerous.
Allways wear safety equipment when using line.

Heres a cut and Paste from a Stihl training module page.

Technical Training – Trimmer Attachments Trimmer Line

ComparisonStarCrossTrimmer line has been produced in nearly every possible geometric shape. The theory is that a line with some sort of edge will cut faster, smoother, and last longer than the traditional “round” line. The truth is that only the end of the line does the cutting. It literally “snaps” the grass and weeds off instead of slicing or cutting in the traditional sense that a blade would.
▪ A sharp edge on trimmer line does nothing for cutting performance, and may actually be more expensive to use.
▪ The .095 Star shaped line in the picture above is actually worn down to a much smaller round shape after use.
▪ The same is true for the .095 Cross shaped line. In fact, it is difficult to tell what the original shape was on either line after they have been used, but they are smaller in diameter than the size they were originally intended to be.
▪ Edges added to the trimmer line actually increase aerodynamic resistance and requires more engine power to keep the line spinning. ▪ The round STIHL line holds it’s shape, and is very close to the original diameter even after use.

All of these pictures came from a test where the samples were run on the same machine for 5 minutes at full RPM in a STIHL SuperCut™ head. The grass was 12” tall and had been cultivated with no rocks or debris present.Round

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back