Trimming a major limb (leg)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anytime you pickup a chainsaw remember who's running who. I ran a saw 30 yrs for a living, i never lost my respect for one, i never got cut, close, close many times, close enough to get a little more respect.

Last edited:
Chaps chaps chaps

Chaps may have helped but I suspect ol AA was climbing. Ol Dirty is the only guy I've seen hard enough to climb consistently in chaps and he deserves credit for it. AA seems to one hand the saw a lot and the cut was on his calf. Pure speculation; but he may have finished the cut then let the saw swing and caught his leg as his arm swung back. Maybe he'll chime in to give us the scoop.

Sorry to see anyone injured with a chainsaw, no matter who it is.

I climb in chainsaw pants in the winter, more for comfort than safety though honestly. I'm not sure of the law stateside, but here in aus anybody running a chainsaw for work legally has to wear chainsaw pants or chaps. Climbers are the only exception - we aren't legally required to wear them. Statistically there are very few leg chainsaw injuries for climbers - mostly its upper body stuff - hands, forearms, chest, neck and face. You're legally supposed to keep both hands on the saw at all times too, even climbing saws. They're called top handled saws, not one handed saws ;-)

But yeah, we all do it anyway. Unless OHS is watching.

Shaun

Chaps may have helped but I suspect ol AA was climbing. Ol Dirty is the only guy I've seen hard enough to climb consistently in chaps and he deserves credit for it. AA seems to one hand the saw a lot and the cut was on his calf. Pure speculation; but he may have finished the cut then let the saw swing and caught his leg as his arm swung back. Maybe he'll chime in to give us the scoop.

Watching his videos one can see he is quite loose with the saw, he just can not handle it well. He just flops it out there and hits the throttle hoping for the best. He is 65 ####ing years old for crying out loud ! The man should give himself a break.

Sorry to see anyone injured with a chainsaw, no matter who it is.

I climb in chainsaw pants in the winter, more for comfort than safety though honestly. I'm not sure of the law stateside, but here in aus anybody running a chainsaw for work legally has to wear chainsaw pants or chaps. Climbers are the only exception - we aren't legally required to wear them. Statistically there are very few leg chainsaw injuries for climbers - mostly its upper body stuff - hands, forearms, chest, neck and face. You're legally supposed to keep both hands on the saw at all times too, even climbing saws. They're called top handled saws, not one handed saws ;-)

But yeah, we all do it anyway. Unless OHS is watching.

Shaun

I have seen what you climb in and buddy it ain't pretty. Yer looking a little Gumpish with the shorts and spikes but don't take offense I know you Aussies are like that and I have done it too.:msp_rolleyes:

I have seen what you climb in and buddy it ain't pretty. Yer looking a little Gumpish with the shorts and spikes but don't take offense I know you Aussies are like that and I have done it too.:msp_rolleyes:

C'mon mate, wht are you talking about? I've got great legs!:givebeer:

Seriously though, I'd love to live some place I could climb in chainsaw pants all year... Not just for safety either. Those pads aren't great on bare shins :-( dehydration is a serious risk here though, much realer than chainsaw injuries. In summer I drink 3 gallons of iced water a day, but it's never enough. Pretty hard to stay out of the sun when you're cutting all the trees down hehe

Shaun

In Europe leg pro is required I do believe and here in the U.S. I think 19 states have OSHA regulations that supersede the Z133 and require leg pro. My boss here in Oregon was fined when one of his climbers was spotted without leg pro by an OSHA officer...just sayin. And now all of us at the company must chap up or wear chainsaw pants. :(

C'mon mate, wht are you talking about? I've got great legs!:givebeer:

Seriously though, I'd love to live some place I could climb in chainsaw pants all year... Not just for safety either. Those pads aren't great on bare shins :-( dehydration is a serious risk here though, much realer than chainsaw injuries. In summer I drink 3 gallons of iced water a day, but it's never enough. Pretty hard to stay out of the sun when you're cutting all the trees down hehe

Shaun

Everything you said is true. Everything.

I never like to see anyone hurt but I have to agree it was sure to happen with him. I watched some of his vids and he seems a little carless with the saw and man does he climb slow.

Watching his videos one can see he is quite loose with the saw, he just can not handle it well. He just flops it out there and hits the throttle hoping for the best. He is 65 ####ing years old for crying out loud ! The man should give himself a break.

Well not defending AA but I will likely climb until 70 unless I win the lotto so in 15 years your going to say I need a break or what ?

Latest posts

Back