Troubles with my MS200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XJPete87

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm having the classic troubles with my MS200T.. Dies intermitently when you hit the throttle. I've read all the posts here that popped up with the search feature. Alot of the posts said that the S61"D" and later models dont have this problem. I have the "D" model. Can the accellerator pump problem still occur in the "D" model? Is this common? Or should I be looking at something else? Thanks.

How clean is your spark screen if it is still installed? Does it do this only when warm? Might want to check your tank vent also.

Accelerator pumps on chainsaws can only mean trouble sooner or later, they're just more excess EPA-inspired baggage to wear out, they don't improve performance, that's just a myth, they're only there to force you to run a stingy and lean lo circuit

PS my little 200T runs a nicely tweaked non-accel carb and the saw accelerates and explodes off idle like a stick of dynamite

Last edited:
Accelerator pumps on chainsaws can only mean trouble sooner or later, they're just more excess EPA-inspired baggage to wear out, they don't improve performance, that's just a myth, they're only there to force you to run a stingy and lean lo circuit

PS my little 200T runs a nicely tweaked non-accel carb and the saw accelerates and explodes off idle like a stick of dynamite

Hey, I've got like 4 bad MS200T carbs lying around, I want to find out how to plug off the accell pump on them, how do I go about doing it? I remember you saying having to take out the butterfly and shaft to do it?

Thanks

Par, the pump is just a simple brass plug(piston) with an O-ring on it and a little coil spring under it sitting in a hole(cylinder), the piston gets pushed in when the throttle shaft rides on it when you touch the throttle, springs back when the throttle shaft turns further around, it just squirts a bit of gas just off idle only. It's little cylinder has a passage connected to the fuel bowl and the exit has a passage to the fuel nozzle. Slide the throttle shaft out and you'll see the little piston sitting in it's hole, it'll actually spring out when you slide the throttle shaft out. I've heard that there's a repair kit to fix the leaky pump, I'm guessing the repair kit is a new piston, O-ring and spring, but I reckon it's just the tiny rubber O-ring that wears out and loses it's seal

As I see it, most saws that is about 40cc or less are riddled with carb problems - and some times other problems as well!

I have 2 200, both had D carbs, and both failled. I put 2 new S61E, and they runs well, at least at that moment.

How clean is your spark screen if it is still installed? Does it do this only when warm? Might want to check your tank vent also.

The spark screen is removed and I cleaned out the muffler. It will do it almost instantly sometimes.. It erratic when it starts. I've checked the tank vent even drilling out the hole so that no longer pinches in the engine case.

I have two of them also. One runs good, the other runs like a bag of... well you know.... Is there a carb that can be put on it like I changed out on my Ms260??? I haven't had much luck with the whole search thing either.

I have two of them also. One runs good, the other runs like a bag of... well you know.... Is there a carb that can be put on it like I changed out on my Ms260??? I haven't had much luck with the whole search thing either.

C1Q S32 is the 020T Non Accel pump carb. 2 screw fully adjustable. drops right on

Ok.. Just pulled the carb apart including the infamous accelarator pump. I see no signs of scaring or marring. The Oring does look a little flat (worn out). So I decided to call the local Stihl dealer to get the accel pump rebuild kit. First he tells me the S61D does not have an accellerator pump. After going aroud with him he found the correct diagram. He then tells me the parts for this carb are no longer available through Stihl and that I must contact Zama directly to get the part.

Does anybody know a source for the accel rebuild kit and/or a source.. Do I have to go directly to Zama for a little Oring? Thanks.

For anyone interested I just orded some Orings that should be the same size from McMaster Carr. Part# 9263K511. I'll let you know how it works out when I get them. They measure OD-5mm ID-3mm and W-1mm.

Alright. Having a bad night. Dropped the throttle shaft while working in the shop and the end broke off where the c-clip holds it in. :censored: . Anybody willing to sell cheaply the shaft out of their FUBAR'ed S61?

Latest posts

Back