Troy Bilt 33 ton versus 27 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a splitter as I mentioned before, but realized that the Timberwolf, while awesome, is out of my price range ($3,000 plus the guy wants over $500 for shipping)

Question: does the Troy Bilt 33 ton have what it takes? Is it simply 6 tons more than the 27 ton or is there a lot more to it than that (more commercial or something, street legal?)

I can get a 27 ton for $1300 tax free and a 33 ton for $2200 tax free.

Or should I save up and just bite the Timberwolf bullet?

I'm in the market for a splitter as I mentioned before, but realized that the Timberwolf, while awesome, is out of my price range ($3,000 plus the guy wants over $500 for shipping)

Question: does the Troy Bilt 33 ton have what it takes? Is it simply 6 tons more than the 27 ton or is there a lot more to it than that (more commercial or something, street legal?)

Or should I save up and just bite the Timberwolf bullet?

it's always cheaper to buy the right tool once....

the size and type of wood you get/intend to split will dictate which machine to purchase...having used one, a log lift is definitely worth waiting for. If you want a 4 way there are few choices as well. you're welcome to come run my super split anytime.

I have a 27 ton and the trees I do are always over 45 in. does just great even on elm

I sell 20-25 cords a year and burn 8-10

the engine is bigger on the 33 ton and while the manual says 7 gallons of hydo it's really 8 gallons (hyrdo is not included in the 33 ton but is with the 27 ton so that's an extra $80.00) -

i went with the 33 ton because i got a great deal on it at lowes last Jan

40 hours on it and nothing has stopped it however the thing is heavy and a pain to move around

you can compare the two here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...&keywords=log+splitter&ie=UTF8&qid=1256207883

i don't sell wood - just split for my home and help some friends so this one should last a long time

used to be true that the 33 ton was made in the USA not too sure if that still is the case

Last edited:

You can get a Huskee/Speeco for a lot less, and it's a LOT more machine.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoo...-ton-vertical-horizontal-log-splitter-2152382

http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoo...-ton-vertical-horizontal-log-splitter-2153613

http://www.speeco.com/products/product_list.php?id=95&id2=175

The FIRST question you need to ask is, "What am I going to be splitting?"

The SIZE and TOUGHNESS of your wood determines the SIZE of the splitter you need. If you are spitting pine and maple and ash and other easily split wood, and nothing else, go small. A 22 ton will do you just FINE.

If you are splitting elm or 40" oak crotches or the like, go BIG.

The other thing to look at is cycle time, but there are a lot of us that think a fast cycle time is overrated. Its nice, but not that big a deal.

I have been wondering about the need for these 30+ ton splitters. I have a 22 ton and it has never been stalled, sometimes I have to reposition but even that is rare. I have split most species in various sizes, however I have not tried elm. Is elm really that much more difficult than all other species? Anyway most times I run my 4-way even on oak and it slows the splitter but does not stall it. Someone said instead of buying a 30 or higher ton splitter which costs ~$800 more than a ~20 ton you would be better off spending that money on a good ripping saw like a 7900. I agree with that thought because trying to lift a 40" round onto a splitter or even postioning it under on a vertical splitter is difficult. Final thought I find myself wanting faster cycle times much more than more tonnage. I wish they would make 4" cylinders with ~3.75" shafts, I imagine that would reduce the return times to ~2 seconds and have no impact on power available.

these splitters go vertical - so there's no need to lift of the big stuff. just roll it over and split

Blue - why do you think the other models are better?

these splitters go vertical - so there's no need to lift of the big stuff. just roll it over and split

SPeeco has had some great customer support reports by site members. Some of it borders on loyalty. Tractor supply might not be so great but Speeco is. IMO. don't own one but read a bit on them here.

SPeeco has had some great customer support reports by site members. Some of it borders on loyalty. Tractor supply might not be so great but Speeco is. IMO. don't own one but read a bit on them here.

ok i agree with you there. it's nice to see a MFG come here and help folks who have had issues with their new splitters BUT keep in mind - these folks had "issues" whereas i haven't had a single issue with my troy built and if i do it has a two year warranty and i would simply bring it back to Lowes ;)

ok i agree with you there. it's nice to see a MFG come here and help folks who have had issues with their new splitters BUT keep in mind - these folks had "issues" whereas i haven't had a single issue with my troy built and if i do it has a two year warranty and i would simply bring it back to Lowes ;)

Correct, but unless you have a new machine every two years whenever the warrentee expires you might, repeat might, have service issues. Speeco has done a good job of service after warrentee expiration. I have no direct experience but am relaying second hand information. They have a great reputation of standing behind their product. That in my eyes separates the two brands.Anytime I can get on the phone and speak to a person who is not a salesman I can get something accomplished. Call centers kill me.

Angelo

There is definately more power in the 33 ton model little bit more "commercialized" but I honestly have never had any problem with my 27 ton not able to split anything I've put in it. As far as the service goes that is why I buy from my local outdoor power store. I don't expect anyone to carry out warranty on something that is broke after the warranty period and if I can't fix it myself after warranty is up I'll take it back to where it was purchased from. JMHO

My 27 tone Troybilt shears through Black Locusst knots and crotches. I can't feature anything it wouldn't split. It gets its first tast of some Elm tomorrow but I don't expect any trouble. No huge blocks, few knots and most in the 8-14" range.

Harry K

My 27 tone Troybilt shears through Black Locusst knots and crotches. I can't feature anything it wouldn't split. It gets its first tast of some Elm tomorrow but I don't expect any trouble. No huge blocks, few knots and most in the 8-14" range.

Harry K
Please let us know how you do with the elm, I have always heard elm is the bench mark for difficult to split. My father thinks elm cannot be split with a log splitter and is actually bringing a piece to my house, about 150 miles, just to see if it can be done.

Simply put - MORE STEEL.

For example, take a look at the log guard (er whatever you call it) on each machine. On the MTD (Troy Bilt), it's stamped sheet metal. Heavy gauge sheet metal, but still, stamped sheet metal.

The Speeco unit is far heavier - looks to me like it's 5/16 plate.

Also, the log cradle on the MTD is just junk. The built in cradle on the Speeco is SOLID. You would have to work at it pretty hard to bend it.

As to the power needed, try a crotch from a hundred fifty year old oak that's been standing dead for a few years, and see if your 27 ton will go through it. It STOPPED my 34 ton Speeco.

Those who say they've never seen wood that would stop their splitter, just aren't splitting tough wood.

Please let us know how you do with the elm, I have always heard elm is the bench mark for difficult to split. My father thinks elm cannot be split with a log splitter and is actually bringing a piece to my house, about 150 miles, just to see if it can be done.

It will split it. It just doesn't split it (for lack of a better word) very clean. I don't know of a hydraulic splitter that would though. Elm is a PITA but around here we have alot of dead elm so I cut alot of it.

Those who say they've never seen wood that would stop their splitter, just aren't splitting tough wood.

I'm one of those guys that said that. I've split plenty of oak, locust,hickory, elm and honestly have never had anything stop my splitter. Is there a piece of 150 year old oak around that would stop it....probably I just haven't tried it yet. Either way for the price I believe they are both good splitters. :cheers:

Well I changed gears and picked up a TimberWolf TW-1 today. It may be their smallest uni but all I can say is: AWESOME. This is the most impressive thing I've ever owned (up there with my 361). Really, really well designed and built unit.

Simply put - MORE STEEL.

, and see if your 27 ton will go through it. It STOPPED my 34 ton Speeco.

you mean my 33 ton ;)

i have never used the log guard thing and for the table - i agree it could be better but it works and i can buy the one on ebay for 70.00

Latest posts

Back