Troy Built log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I think my motor on my Troy Built logsplitter is about to go. It is making a loose Bering noise. I called Honda and they advised my motor (160 cc 5.5hp) does not even have a lower bering. In any case I want to pull the motor and run it independent of the splitter. Can anyone advise how the shaft is connected, Is it splined? Will the motor lift off when unbolted? or what is the procedure? Thanks For any help. Ray

Just unbolt the coupler from the engine. The "lovejoy" coupler will just pull apart. Don't even need to remove the hyd lines. :)

That all sounds great, Much easier than I expected. Thank you very much for the help. If you guys are ever in clearspring, Look me up I owe ya a beer and some firewood.:cheers:

did you wear that engine out with use, or was it a bad motor. A friend of mine just replaced the engine on his TCS 35 ton jon after 10 years and he thinks approx 150 cord a year. That was a Briggs I think

did you wear that engine out with use, or was it a bad motor. A friend of mine just replaced the engine on his TCS 35 ton jon after 10 years and he thinks approx 150 cord a year. That was a Briggs I think

Turns out what I thought was a bering noise was the love joy connection making noise due to getting out of alignment. Straightened it out replaced the spider and the noise is gone. Thanks for the help.

It could be the lovejoy coupling is loose on the shaft or the rubber spider is bad

you nailed it. Thanks +1

Back