truck trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PeteS

PeteS

ArboristSite Lurker
Last friday it was really cold in jersey. After some efort I finally got my truck started. I headed down the road and about 1/2 a mile from the shop the truck completely crapped out. I had to call the wrecker and have it towed to the mechanic that I've used a couple times. This mechanic had just worked on the truck in preparation for winter and wracked up a 3,200 bill. Anyway after the truck was towed to the shop they fixed the problem, a ground wire, and while attempting to back it out of the bay ripped off a large hunk of the hood. I was told that they would fix the hood, no charge, and have it back to me in 2-3 days. I went over on sunday night to grab some gear out of the truck since it was sitting outside and found the hood completely off and the engine exposed with snow on the way that night. I had to go grab a tarp from home and cover it up, which pissed me off even more. I just called today and they said it will be ready by next tuesday - 10 days, not 2-3.
Anyway, I apologize for the long winded story but I feel like I'm getting hosed and I explained my greivances to the mechanic and all he could say was I understand, I'm sorry. He wants me to pay $600 for the tow and electrical work. In all honesty I'd like to hit him with a tack hammer but I think that would be counter productive. I'm just wondering what you guys would do? I'm thinking of demanding him not to charge me the $600 and if he doesn't agree, to put it on a credit card and put a stop payment on it. He is costing me money, as I normally would be out working instead of crying to you guys. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

hanniedog

hanniedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just what did this guy do to prep your truck that cost $3200 to fix? Since he was alledged to have fixed your truck the repairs and tow should be on him. Find someone else to do your auto repairs would be my suggestion.

Xtra

ArboristSite Operative
Geez, I feel your pain . . . been there once or twice.

Can you drive/use your truck without the hood?

The stop payment deal with a credit card won't work.
(I tired something similiar when a dumpster company that tore up a client's driveway)

Call around for a hood & its availability then have the garage pick it up.
Sounds like they're having it repaired at a body shop . . . demand a new hood not some bondo piece of crap.

$600 for a tow and find a bad ground? . . . way too much.
I had one of my trucks towed this summer (cab over Isuzu with 1/2 a load of chips) it cost me $150 to go 20 miles.

SmokinDodge

SmokinDodge