Trying to find a newer chip truck for a reasonable price...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRE1992

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My boss has a 1999 Ford f-800 with a 5.9L cummins/5 speed allison trans and 60,000 miles. It has the L pack tool boxes and a 14 foot chip body with a electric dump. When it is full, with about 16-18 yards of chippings and hauling the vermeer bc1800xl chipper it is slower than a snail. Empty its still slow and barely makes 60 on the highway. My boss wants to get a 2002 or newer truck with more power, an automatic trans and a pto hydraulic dump. I have been looking all over for nice reasonably priced trucks with not a huge amount of miles. I find nothing on craigslist as they are all older and beat up. Any body have any ideas? I think he wants to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30K. Would we be better off looking for a chassis cab with a pto dump and put a chip body on it? Any ideas?

Also I have noticed the price mark up on the East Coast is crazy. For instance he bought his 2002 F-750 bucket truck with a 5.9L cummins/6 speed auto trans with 30,000 miles on it for $35,000, but he had to drive it all of the way back to NJ from California.

Thanks,
Charles

That"s because your paying for that 5 grand paint job in a spray can. I went and looked at these trucks in West Chester PA last weekend, the guy wanted 20k for a f550 old davey truck. He painted over the rusty frame with spray paint, didn't even sand blast it it or anything. THe trucks were junk, I found the same truck from a private seller with less miles and in better shape for 5 grand less.

BE WEARY and Check reviews when buying from a dealer

That"s because your paying for that 5 grand paint job in a spray can. I went and looked at these trucks in West Chester PA last weekend, the guy wanted 20k for a f550 old davey truck. He painted over the rusty frame with spray paint, didn't even sand blast it it or anything. THe trucks were junk, I found the same truck from a private seller with less miles and in better shape for 5 grand less.

BE WEARY and Check reviews when buying from a dealer

Yeah, that guys trucks are all grossly overpriced dog ****. Def stay away from any dealer in West Chester PA..... I've found two great buckets for really short money in AL and TN. You just gotta keep your eyes peeled brotha.

I would be lurking upon the Cummins gurus for some more ponies if I had that truck. If its a p pump engine, you can get 50-60 hp without even spending a dime. Put in a pyro and boost gauge, swap electric PTO for an engine driven unit and enjoy. Newer trucks are nothing more than more headaches that are more expensive to fix.

I would be lurking upon the Cummins gurus for some more ponies if I had that truck. If its a p pump engine, you can get 50-60 hp without even spending a dime. Put in a pyro and boost gauge, swap electric PTO for an engine driven unit and enjoy. Newer trucks are nothing more than more headaches that are more expensive to fix.

I have already looked into that, unfortunately it is not a P pump engine, and in fact it is recommended to not modify the specific engine it has as the block series it is in, is known to have thinner cylinder walls.. Maybe I can convince my boss to swap in a built engine... haha

I can't imagine an extra 30-40 hp hurting it and its easy to be had no matter what series engine it is. IF something breaks down the road, it would have broken under stock hp levels anyway. The extra 30-40hp will give you a 5-10% boost in fuel economy as well. Good luck in which ever route takes place. I know its tough when you're dealing with somebody else's truck.

Latest posts

Back