Trying to find information on basic timber framing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys, some of you know I am in the process of finally getting my new shop underway. I have an idea of what I want to do with the framing but there are some blanks that I am missing on the basics of timber framing. I was wondering if any of you guys had any links I could go to to find information on this. I have been surfing the web looking for stuff but most of what I am finding are advertisements for timber kits and what not.

I tend to search images if I'm not finding what I need. If your still not finding wht you need, you might need to visit the library or buy/ borrow a book.

I would start with a simple post and beam project with some very basis joints. Timberframe construction is very intricate, but the basic joinery is the same as used in post and beam (post an beam with metal connectors is just plain lazy).

A quick google search of post and beam (aka traditional real world timberframing) gives lots of pictures and how to's.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Take a look at this forum site .... http://www.##################/board/index.php and under Timber Framing and Log Construction. Lots AS members over there as well and lots of other helpful like minded individuals.

Hmmmm....AS doesn't like the Forestry Forum? Not like AS has a timber framing page. Oh well....Google that other site.

I just completed a workshop where we built a 14x20, three cant, two story (mini) barn. We used "square rule" layout and learned to do all the work with human-powered tools. 1//16" is a mile if it's in the wrong place.

Learning to be dead accurate with layout and then SPLITTING the lines was key to making the puzzle fit together.

It ain't easy but it's hugely satisfying to learn how to build a beautiful and functional building with simple tools-a square, pencil, chisel, saw, mallet, and manual/mechanical drill. Square Rule layout eliminates errors from unplaned, not-so-square lumber.

Sarah K. Highland was our instructor. I'm going to do a few very small projects before I tackle another building.

Ms. Highland is a member of the TF Guild, they have a site. And there's a forum. She recommends: Timber Frame Construction: All About Post and Beam Building - Jack A. Sobon as representative of the techniques she uses and teaches. I just ordered mine.

Back