Trying to reassemble 044 case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustmaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have been out for a while. have not used my own saws since june... anyway, i just started working for a local service and we had the butt of a tree roll on to an ms440, breaking the clutch side of the crankcase. i had a case laying around and split both and put good bearings and crank in an old case. I have the stihl case splitting tools on loan from the dealer. but the connector to pull the crank back in on the clutch side is somehow absent from the set. so i have the clutch side back together... with crank but lack the tools to pull the crank back into the flywheel side.

any thoughts?

do i need to heat the flywheel side of the case?

....been a long day and am pretty fed up with this thing....

Dudley,
I think the last time I did one I used really long M5 screws to get the case halves started and then used the regular screws after the sides were sucked in close enough.

Dudley,
I think the last time I did one I used really long M5 screws to get the case halves started and then used the regular screws after the sides were sucked in close enough.

Right on.

I have the sleeve you need in my kit. It is sleeve 5910 893 2420

I am sure you are in a hurry, but if you PROMISED to send it back I would send it to you if you covered shipping.

I have always been able to get the halves together far enough that I was able to get all the case bolts started and then just slowly and evenly pull them together. I've never had a problem doing it that way.

Be very careful and take your time if you use case bolts and threads to assemble the case. Make sure you turn a little on each one, alternating in a zig zag pattern like the proper way to torque a wheel on a car, and dont force it. You will be really pissed if you strip a case thread!

Thanks guys, that is what i ended up doing. i did forget that a still had the screws in the othes side of the threads when i did it. fortunatly it only cost me the last several threads on the flywheel side.

man thanks for the offer bowtie. but your right i don't really have time to wait and have gotten it back together and got her running. will put it to work tomorrow. we have a pretty big removal job tomorrow.

man i wish i still had the time to hang out here. i have a couple of saws that would benefit from it....

I have read other posts on pulling the halfs together with the screws,but do you have to worry about side loading the bearings when you pull the case on to the crank or is this basicly the way the stihl tools do it.

Be very careful and take your time if you use case bolts and threads to assemble the case. Make sure you turn a little on each one, alternating in a zig zag pattern like the proper way to torque a wheel on a car, and dont force it. You will be really pissed if you strip a case thread!
+1000

fortunatly it only cost me the last several threads on the flywheel side.
Never pulled a thread on lots of cases. Sometimes you've got to tap the case on a little to get enough threads started. I only turn each screw 1/2 turn at a time, taking lots of care to keep them very even.

+1000

Sometimes you've got to tap the case on a little to get enough threads started.

Good point Brad, that would take the load off the threads as well. Maybe a good idea to keep tapping all the way until they are together? Might make it easier on a stubburn assembly...

oh crap, i did not install the seals right... so i have a crank seal air leak. not sure why i don't remember a thread explaining doing a crank seal job. can i pop them out with a screw driver? or do i need a seal puller? i have three saws to do this on actually

Good point Brad, that would take the load off the threads as well. Maybe a good idea to keep tapping all the way until they are together? Might make it easier on a stubburn assembly...

You don't have to get it together far at all until the threads will catch enough to pull it together. The key is to slowly and evenly pull them together.

You don't have to get it together far at all until the threads will catch enough to pull it together. The key is to slowly and evenly pull them together.

+1

oh crap, i did not install the seals right... so i have a crank seal air leak. not sure why i don't remember a thread explaining doing a crank seal job. can i pop them out with a screw driver? or do i need a seal puller? i have three saws to do this on actually

any help... will prolly spend tomorrow figuring out how to change the seals on this 044 and my 034

Back