Trying to ruin a new 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GitWood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've wanted, but not really needed a 346xp for quite a while now, so I finally pulled the trigger and bought one. I didn't even bother installing the factory bar and chain, but instead swaped out the .325" drive sprocket with a 3/8" sprocket so that I could use 3/8" chain, which I use on my other saws and make up from a 100' roll. Although some may disagree with this decision, This is not the dumb part, or the question which I almost hate to bring up.
Anyway, I put everything back together and fired saw up for the first time. I let it run at fast idle for a little bit and then let it idle for a couple of minutes to warm up. Everything seemed to be working great. I reved it up a couple of times to see how it was running and then decided to cut of a piece of a 1 X 6 that I laying around, just to tighten up the clutch. Apparently I was too late in doing this. Once I cut through the board, the chain would not stop. I took the bar cover off and sure enough, the clutch was stuck, but I still didn't know why. After removing the clutch again, I found that the plastic oil pump drive sprocket was stuck to the sprocket rim drive splines. It appears that when I reved the throttle without the clutch being tight and then let off, the clutch loosened enough to come out of the splines on the oil pump drive. Then when I cut the board, it tightened back up and drove itself against the oil pump drive while mis-alligned with the splines. Other than this being a stupid mistake, I am wondering if this would have damaged anything that I didn't notice. I was specifically wondering if this would have put pressure/friction against the crank seal and damaged it in some way. The oil pump seems to be working fine now, so I don't think I hurt it. So how much damage am I likely to have done?

Thanks.

Probably no damage, other than to the plastic oil pump drive.

I sure would not fire up a saw without tightening the clutch?

Congrats on picking up a fine saw!

:cheers:

That sucks, probaly didn't hurt anything else. Just snug the clutch and apply the brake before starting the saw and blip the throttle a few times to snug it down.

Your saw is shot due to your own negligence. Send me the saw and $15 to cover my expenses and I'll make sure its properly disposed of and save you further embarassing posts here.

Are you sure that 3/8" sprocket rim is the right one for the small spline cluch hub?

3/8 x 7 rims are made for both the small and the standard hub size.

i can't believe a pro saw has got A plastic gear in the oiler :msp_thumbdn:

It's never been a problem in the past...... unless it was improperly installed. Don't blame the part when it's not at fault. A metal part installed in the same manner may have actually caused more damage.

If you're not familiar with the oiler then you may not know what is being talked about. The oiler itself is all metal, just the driver that sits behind the sprocket is plastic.

It's never been a problem in the past...... unless it was improperly installed. Don't blame the part when it's not at fault. A metal part installed in the same manner may have actually caused more damage.

If you're not familiar with the oiler then you may not know what is being talked about. The oiler itself is all metal, just the driver that sits behind the sprocket is plastic.

I guess a 288 isn't a pro saw either.

who said it wasn't a pro saw what i said WAS i can't believe a pro saw has got A plastic gear in the oiler

It's one of those things where it works perfectly fine, serves it's purpose, and never lets you down until it gets used wrong. It used to be so great until you find out that little tidbit of information. I still can't believe it's not butter.

who said it wasn't a pro saw what i said WAS i can't believe a pro saw has got A plastic gear in the oiler

Not to pile on here, but I can't think of any pro saws (that I have taken apart) that didn't have some kind of plastic gear in the oiler.

Thanks all! I was able to put the saw back together and get the clutch tight before it could loosen up on me this time. Ran about 3 tanks through it today cutting some firewood. I'm sure that it will wake up a little bit after some break-in time, but I'm impressed already. This saw thinks it is much bigger than it really is, and seems to be able to back it up. I was wondering how it would handle the the 3/8" X 18" bar and chain, but that sure wasn't a problem. I think I heard that chain cry for mercy! This is my first Husky saw and it didn't dissapoint. It is running just a tad rich, but I think I'll leave it that way for at least a couple more tanks. It seemed to get along fine with the Dolmar 7900 (in Makita colors). They make a great team.

Oh, I also have to mention that the saw performed so well that I think I'll be able to look right past that ugly gray bar cover.

Thanks again everyone!

Back